ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
N52 Oil cooler and oil filter gasket change

I'm going to change the oil cooler gasket and oil filter housing gasket on my E85, 3.0I and I was wonder if anyone has any special hints or procedures.

I've researched a few DYIs for the E90 but they have alot more space between the radiator and the front of the motor. I'm a worried that I'll have a really bad time with the bottom front bolt on the oil filter housing.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

My son and I did the Vanos and thermostat housing a few weeks ago plus all the tension/idler pulleys.... I took off the plastic trim piece over the radiator and electric fan ...and removed the electric fan. I have a '04 3.0i

There is lots of room to do what you want when they are removed. I would cut/fit a piece of cardboard to fit in front of the radiator on engine side as a piece of mind protection against "stupid" moments.
      01-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
achi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0i

I changed those two gaskets out a few weeks ago in my 08 3.0i. You're right, there isn't a lot of space, but if you have ratchets, extensions (pivoting ones are nice), and sockets in various sizes/lengths, there should be a combination of them where you can fit the tools in. I found this video to be most helpful. Having an E10/E12 ratcheting wrench for the OFH was extremely handy for me because of the tight space for the bolt that's tucked away. Putting back the bottom bolts were definitely a pain, I had to get a second hand to hold the cooler and housing in place while I snuck the bolts in. Let me know if you have more questions, I'll try to help to the best of my memory. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Thank you for the responses,

I need to see what I have for 1/4" drive sockets and universal joints. Looks like I will need some break fluid cleaner or similar. I'd like to try without removing my fan, so it's going to be slow going. The Video seems to show access to the oil filter housing gets a little better once the cooler is out of the way.

Gaskets and bolts are on order, planning to change the gaskets and then do an oil change right afterward.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

The plastic trim cover over the radiator and removal of electric fan only takes a few minutes. It really isn't worth trying to do the job with it in....