ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #23
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Sorry, I did not explain myself correctly.

What I was wondering is if adding that small piece up front to direct the air flow up over the car and down past the splitter, instead of through the gap, has a noticeable change in downforce?

I have already had my car/splitter on the track at VIR and yes, the splitter itself makes a big improvement.. Just wondering if the new piece will make that much more of a difference. It might not be noticeable or only slightly..
I am wondering that my self. I think closing the gap would make a small difference in downforce but as for how much I am not sure. I am mostly going to be making it to decrease drag. The way my splitter is mounted it makes the gap between the fangs and lower engine cover air tight... well mostly air tight. It is def just a giant pocket now to catch air with way more air flowing in then is flowing out the back.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #24
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Sorry, I did not explain myself correctly.

What I was wondering is if adding that small piece up front to direct the air flow up over the car and down past the splitter, instead of through the gap, has a noticeable change in downforce?

I have already had my car/splitter on the track at VIR and yes, the splitter itself makes a big improvement.. Just wondering if the new piece will make that much more of a difference. It might not be noticeable or only slightly..
I obviously can't say for sure at this point, but I really doubt it makes much difference.
Yes some air will pass through the small slot at the back, but it is still dead pocket that adds to down force.

Filling the gap will eliminate a little more air flow under the car but it also reduces splitter surface area & eliminates the dead pocket.

My guess is that it will be a wash.
Only testing will confirm though.

BTW, I'm planning to close the gap on mine.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #25
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 15 i3, 17 M3 Frz Wht

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]