ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Yy89
Rep
Drives: Z4

Hi guys :)

Hi all

Just moved to the USA and purchased a 2004 Z4 3.0i with 8k miles on it.

I previously drove a mazda 3 in Australia, so the change was dramatic and i loved every bit of it

You guys are so lucky with the car prices here.

Anyway, Inoticed some minor problems with it as you can see in the photos below:

-There is rusting on the nuts and wheels rotor and brake discs (I'm not sure if I named them correctly, I only have amateur knowledge of cars). Does this rusting affect anything and is there anyway to remove it?

-The "Service Engine Soon" light always comes on when I start it up and the car beeps for 5 secs. As I said, this 7 yr old has only done 8k miles and no service history was to be found in the service books, so I don't know if any service has been done.

The car was bought from Barrier Porsche, Bellevue (My parents bought their Porsche's there). Should I service it there of some BMW dealership, and what kind of cost am I looking at if it is indeed the maiden service.

-Also, could someone please tell me what the EML is?

-One last thing, I put a CD into the CD player but it will not eject, is this a common problem or am I just unlucky?

Sorry for the long boring post..

How do we drive top down in Seattle weather??!!

PICS
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Wow, an 04 with only 8k miles! That's incredible. Hopefully everything is OK with it. I would change out all of the fluids ASAP! Oil, transmission, differential, brakes, and any other fluids that I can't seem to remember right now.

The EML light is saying there is something going on with your throttle. Could be a number of things. Have you tried going to an auto repair store where they can scan the codes? Places like Autozone and O'Reilleys usually do this for free. This will at least give you an idea as to what may be wrong.

Regarding the rust, I don't think it's hurting anything. However, it makes me question how long this car may have sat outside. Do you know the history of it?

Good luck with your new ride! Looks great
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Hey Mate,

I grew up in your area, I would be happy to tell you all you need to know. I will send you a PM
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
lol just noticed your post count. Ok, so send me an email here jameshlcowan at gmail

But start here.
http://www.bmwpugetsound.com
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Yy89
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Sent an email to you TheBroker.

The car is going back to the dealer this weekend for detailing, they didn't do it last sunday because I needed it ASAP.

Had a look at the instruction manual - EML is electronics malfunction or something, hopefully that's covered in the extended warranty. I will get on to changing those fluids ASAP!!

As for the rust, Seattle is a humid area, and only the stress side of the bolts are rusted, so I THINK it is just from moisture, as long as it doesn't give me any additional problems.

Further question - is there a darkest legal tint limit here? If so, what are the consequences of exceeding it, and where can it be done?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Yy89
Rep

OH - and I had a look at the BMW CCA Puget Sound, I don't really know what it is, is it for fun?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #7
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

welcome! looks like you live in a damn nice neighborhood. good job straying from your parents and going with the bmw!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I can't add much beyond what folks have said above in reply to your questions. However, I do want to say that you have one very fine looking machine there! I absolutely love those style 107 rims on the car - classic and timeless!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Great looking car. Incredible mileage for something that's 7 years old by now!

As others have said, I'd definitely take it in for a comprehensive service. You'll want all of the fluids changed at the very least. The dealer will charge you way too much for it, so I'd suggest finding a good independent BMW shop in the area.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yy89 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Sent an email to you TheBroker.

The car is going back to the dealer this weekend for detailing, they didn't do it last sunday because I needed it ASAP.

Had a look at the instruction manual - EML is electronics malfunction or something, hopefully that's covered in the extended warranty. I will get on to changing those fluids ASAP!!
Bought from a Porsche dealer, extended warranty? Ugh, I hope they didn't sell you some 3rd party warranty which requires you to file claims for reimbursement.
      04-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Yy89
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Bought from a Porsche dealer, extended warranty? Ugh, I hope they didn't sell you some 3rd party warranty which requires you to file claims for reimbursement.
Unfortunately that was the case, please explain the "ugh-ness" of it.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
Yy89
Rep

Will be taking it to the dealer for detailing tmr, and hopefully fix the cd player.

I intend to service it at a local servicing place, Autoclassic along Mukilteo Speedway I think, they do benz, bm n jags I think.

Any one have an idea of how longthe comprehensive service takes? As in a few hours, a whole day, a few days?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0