ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Toneloc111
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Newbie Z4 question

I have a 2003 z4, yesterday was a beautiful day and was out cruising. I've had this car for about 2 months now and it's been awesome! But something happened yesterday that has me a little worried. I stopped at a body shop to get an estimate on a color sand and buff. When I started the car to leave, I was backing out fine, put it in drive and started to give the gas and it stumbled and almost stalled. It has never done that before and it hasn't done it since. As a matter of fact, on the way to work this morning I was at a light next to a c4 corvette and put it in sport mode. When the light turned green, he popped the clutch and broke traction, and I was a whole cars length ahead to the next light!!! Love it!!! Should I be worried??
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Sounds like you should be worried about getting charged with 'racing'..lol. Or worse, getting hit by someone running a late light.
If the hiccup did not return then it will be difficult to diagnose the issue. I suggest driving and see if it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Perhaps a bad tank of gas, or maybe a dirty fuel filter?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Quote:
Originally Posted by strom View Post
Sounds like you should be worried about getting charged with 'racing'..lol. Or worse, getting hit by someone running a late light.
There may be laws limiting how fast you can go, but there are no laws limiting how fast you get there. At least where I live.
      03-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
There may be laws limiting how fast you can go, but there are no laws limiting how fast you get there. At least where I live.
Yep...around here they will nail you for racing if it seems you are being too aggressive such as zero to whatever from a light. Cops are insane here.
And I had a friend T-boned and killed by flooring it as the light turned green without checking cross traffic first...we can't rely on people following the rules as the major part of our population is old retired folks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Bad gas and/or gunk in the lines may be the cause of the stumbling. You should definitely run some fuel injector cleaner through the car, maybe two tankfuls for an 03. No telling how long it's been. You might also want to do the ECU reset; procedure is on this board, somewhere. It will reset your computer's adaptations for octane & driving habits back to stock (not harmful.)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strom View Post
Yep...around here they will nail you for racing if it seems you are being too aggressive such as zero to whatever from a light. Cops are insane here.
And I had a friend T-boned and killed by flooring it as the light turned green without checking cross traffic first...we can't rely on people following the rules as the major part of our population is old retired folks.
Agreed. It is called "exhibition of speed". They can nail you for reving the engine at a red light if they desire.
Appreciate 0