ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Driver's Edge - Texas Area

After missing out on the most recent HPDE, I started doing a little research. I found a calendar of events for the rest of the calendar year. Track Days I'm very interested in attending at least one of these, at least. It'd be awesome if we could get a group and make a day/weekend out of it: driving, go get a drink, I could bring a grill or something, pretty much anything is on the table.

With that said, would anyone be interested in the October event at Motorsport Ranch (Cresson, TX) and/or Texas Motor Speedway in November??

I've got a fairly busy summer planned already, so that's why I'm looking at the fall/early winter time. Plenty of time to discuss and plan around!
      08-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

007, sorry about not giving any heads up, but i'd signed up for the hpde at h2r only a couple of hours before registration closed! thanks for the calendar of events in and around texas, unfortunately any further track events are a lot further away for me. h2r in san marcos is already 3.5 hours out from del rio.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

no worries on the head's up! i just posted this so we all could see, at least accoridng to that site, what's in store for the coming months. i'd really like to get in at least one of these.
      08-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I'd be interested. I'll have to check some of these out and try to plan something.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yeah. i'm starting a couple of classes for the fall term, but they don't go on weekends, obviously.

Just throwin the idea out there for now is all. Maybe we could meet up at one of the auto x up in DFW this fall.
      08-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Driver's Edge events are the only ones I absolutely will not do. They generally overcrowd the track, while also allowing jack-ass-ery. You'll find they have many more wrecks than any other club, and if you check out the hard core track forums (for people who actually club race) you'll find a large number of threads mocking Driver's Edge... "oh look, another wreck at Driver's Edge", etc. I also know a number of instructors who refuse to instruct at DE-hosted events. Maybe they're actually great. Maybe they're not. There are so many better options that I'd rather just not take my chances.
      08-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Driver's Edge events are the only ones I absolutely will not do. They generally overcrowd the track, while also allowing jack-ass-ery. You'll find they have many more wrecks than any other club, and if you check out the hard core track forums (for people who actually club race) you'll find a large number of threads mocking Driver's Edge... "oh look, another wreck at Driver's Edge", etc. I also know a number of instructors who refuse to instruct at DE-hosted events. Maybe they're actually great. Maybe they're not. There are so many better options that I'd rather just not take my chances.
well thanks for chiming in! really. I would kill someone if they wrecked me on the track...

what DO you run, other than auto x? what would you recommend for a total novice such as myself?
      08-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

007, hpde! velocity adventures extended the registration till midnight 11th aug, so come represent! i'm a complete novice too but have always, for the longest time, wanted to do this. registration link is in the harris hill road thread i made.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
well thanks for chiming in! really. I would kill someone if they wrecked me on the track...

what DO you run, other than auto x? what would you recommend for a total novice such as myself?
Apex Driving Academy has the best classroom and by far the "safest" on-track experience. They get a lot of instructors from the local PCA and BMWCCA clubs so the in-car learning experience is good as well. For a first timer I'd definitely point them to Apex. Apex only runs at MSR-Cresson, though, but that's also a good thing for first-timers as there are no walls or barricades to hit (off-track-excursions are just going to put you into some grass). The PCA-Run events have the best in-car instructors by far, in my experience.
      08-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

One other thing to mention is that Apex generally runs one-day (Sat) events while all the others run two (Sat and Sun). Depending on how much time you have available that's either going to be a positive or a negative. Generally, what I've seen is that newer drivers start really putting thugs together towards the end of the first day and having a second day really helps them set things into place.
      08-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One other thing to mention is that Apex generally runs one-day (Sat) events while all the others run two (Sat and Sun). Depending on how much time you have available that's either going to be a positive or a negative. Generally, what I've seen is that newer drivers start really putting thugs together towards the end of the first day and having a second day really helps them set things into place.
Thanks a bunch!! I'll look into that for sure!

I definitely would like a second day, as i figured what you said to be true. figuring everything out and then having a whole day to practice what you learned in a safe environment like that.

R4: I won't be able to make that HPDE next weekend sorry. glad i didn't sign up when i first read your post that they opened it back up...no-notice TDY 18-21 up to altus. blech...
      08-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

jragan, thanks for the recommendation. giving it more thought, a second day for consolidation would be more than beneficial. i'm firmly of the opinion that upgrading the driver should always lead upgrading the machine, and before i spend on bigger ticket mods to improve on performance (the M's are already close to perfect stock from factory!), i'd like to learn the ropes of real performance driving.

007, a pity. my novice group consists of the five 2010 camaros, must all be members of a local club or something. looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
jragan, thanks for the recommendation. giving it more thought, a second day for consolidation would be more than beneficial. i'm firmly of the opinion that upgrading the driver should always lead upgrading the machine, and before i spend on bigger ticket mods to improve on performance (the M's are already close to perfect stock from factory!), i'd like to learn the ropes of real performance driving.

007, a pity. my novice group consists of the five 2010 camaros, must all be members of a local club or something. looking forward to it!
well, at least you'll have 5 things to look at in your mirrors...
      08-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
well, at least you'll have 5 things to look at in your mirrors...
i hope! the v8 camaro ss' i'm sure can give the M a run for her pretty money indeed.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
i hope! the v8 camaro ss' i'm sure can give the M a run for her pretty money indeed.
The SS looks to weigh 700 to 800 pounds more than the E86. Even if they walk you in the straights (and they actually may not be able to) they won't be able to touch you in the turns.
      08-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #16
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
The SS looks to weigh 700 to 800 pounds more than the E86. Even if they walk you in the straights (and they actually may not be able to) they won't be able to touch you in the turns.
the M coupe tops at about 3300lbs vs the camaro ss at 3800lbs. very similar hp/tonne ratio, so they're both going to be pretty even in a straight line. u are dead on about when the curvy stuff starts though!

alas, it's all about upgrading the driver!
Appreciate 0