ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
RonRock
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4

07 Z4 Oil Leak

My wifes 07 Z4 seems to have a small oil leak. At times she can smell burning oil. So I pulled the engine cover to take a look. There is a small amount of oil puddling up under this device. So I think I am going to replace the valve cover gasket. Any DIY threads to guide me? How does this device remove? Looks pretty straight forward, but I don't want to remove the bolts and have things go flying. What all will I need? I am sure I need a cover gasket, but what else?

Sorry about the photo. I could not figure out how to upload it into my post. So I used the Attach File option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

I'd guess it's the valvetronic motor gasket + valvecover gasket...

It's a simple job. You need a good torque wrench that reads lb inches. Tricky bit can be if any of the valve cover bolts are broken (common). The stubs may be difficult to remove, depending on location. Also, don't drop them in the engine!

I also highly recommend changing the eccentric shaft sensor gasket while you have the cover open. That gasket is ~$6, while that sensor is >$300.

There are several diys on this. Do a google search for the n52 valvecover diy.

-gc
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Valve cover gasket and valvetronic motor gasket for certain. Here's a good DIY for the job. It's on an X3, but once he gets past all the stuff you have to move to get to things on the X3 the job is exactly the same. The bolts that hold the valve cover in place are torque to yield type so they can't be reused. You need to buy both a gasket kit and the bolt kit
      01-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
RonRock
Rep

Thanks guys.

So where is the "best" place to buy the gasket and bolts? I am not very impressed with the local dealer, and have seen several references to a couple different online dealers. So do the forum DIY'ers use local or online parts?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

On-line.
There's at least a few:
ecstuning
getbmwparts
thebmwminipartstore

Get the part numbers from the diagrams on realoem, then shop and compare.
      01-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Thanks guys.

So where is the "best" place to buy the gasket and bolts? I am not very impressed with the local dealer, and have seen several references to a couple different online dealers. So do the forum DIY'ers use local or online parts?
I have both valvetronic and eccentric shaft sensor gaskets for sale. They're both new and I'll let them go cheap. PM me.

01-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Usually anything in the $10 or so range I get from the dealer, just simply because the shipping cost from the online sellers usually pushes the total cost higher than the dealer cost, particularly if they give you the 10% BMWCCA member discount. Your signature indicates you're in Iowa so ECS Tuning (located in Ohio) is the closest to you geographically so you're shipping cost should be lowest and ship time shortest.
      02-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #8
RonRock
Rep

Received and installed the Valvetronic gasket from 3002 tii. Appreciate the deal on the gaskets. I could see where oil had been leaking from the valvetronic gasket and puddling up in the valve cover. I'm going to have her run it with the new valvetronic gasket for a while and keep an eye on it for leaks. Hopefully this was the only issue. If not I'll go to the valve cover gasket.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Quote:
Received and installed the Valvetronic gasket from 3002 tii. Appreciate the deal on the gaskets. I could see where oil had been leaking from the valvetronic gasket and puddling up in the valve cover. I'm going to have her run it with the new valvetronic gasket for a while and keep an eye on it for leaks. Hopefully this was the only issue. If not I'll go to the valve cover gasket.

Cheers
Glad that worked. I think you can expect the valve cover to leak eventually - more a question of when, not if. When that happens, be sure to buy the right gasket and bolts. I think 2007 was when BMW went from Al cover and Al bolts to a composite (aka plastic) valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
RonRock
Rep

Yes it is a composite cover. I'd have gone ahead and done the valve cover gasket at the same time, but don't want to have to deal with breaking aluminum bolts if I don't have too.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #11
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
And I think they changed from aluminum VoLTE to steel ones for the 07-08 models
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #12
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 atacama yellow Z4 35i

Yep. Just did my VC/valvetronic/eccentric shaft sensor gaskets today... mine is an 07 mfg date 12/06 and it has the composite cover with steel bolts. Didn't purchase replacement bolts because of this. The change occurred on models manufactured after 10/06 IIRC.
Appreciate 0