ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Vibra Technics then Rogue Engineering Any Improvement?

Happy New Year, everyone.

I read a number of threads about engine mounts and trans mounts and how they improve the Z4. For Christmas, I received Vibra Technics engine mounts and Rogue Engineering transmission mounts. Vibra Technics thinks the OEM transmission mounts are excellent and can't be improved on without fabricating an entirely new transmission mount bracket. Since it is a given that their engine mounts are excellent and they know their stuff, I take their statement to be accurate. Beedub still has the OEM trans mounts with his supercharged engine on just the VT engine mounts, and he reports it works great.

So, here's a very specific question. Has anyone installed Vibra Technics engine mounts only and ran that for awhile, then added the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts and noticed even more of an improvement from the addition of the RE trans mounts? I'm trying to determine is if it is the VT mounts giving all of the benefit and the RE trans mounts aren't really needed. I don't want to install the RE mounts if there really is no benefit.

Thanks!

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Hey Salty, good question.

What happened with most of us is the tranny mounts came out long before VT came on the scene.
Most (including me) had the tanny mounts installed and they were a noticeable improvement over the OE mounts.
When VT came out, we added them w/o going back to OE tranny mounts.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Hey Salty, good question.

What happened with most of us is the tranny mounts came out long before VT came on the scene.
Most (including me) had the tanny mounts installed and they were a noticeable improvement over the OE mounts.
x2 Exactly
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Both of my M's have VT engine mounts. One has RE transmission mounts, while the other has OEM. I'm going to replace the OEM mounts with RE's in the spring.

On a scale with a VT/RE setup on one end and OEM/OEM setup on the other, VT engine mounts make up about 80% of the difference between a VT/RE setup and an OEM/OEM setup. The transmission mounts make a large difference, but it's fractional as compared to the engine mounts.

If you don't notice a huge difference with the VT install, RE transmission mounts are probably not worth your money. If you love your VT engine mounts, the RE transmission mounts take the car further in that direction.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Most (including me) had the tranny mounts installed and they were a noticeable improvement over the OE mounts.
This is the order I followed as well.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches
Both of my M's have VT engine mounts. One has RE transmission mounts, while the other has OEM. I'm going to replace the OEM mounts with RE's in the spring.

On a scale with a VT/RE setup on one end and OEM/OEM setup on the other, VT engine mounts make up about 80% of the difference between a VT/RE setup and an OEM/OEM setup. The transmission mounts make a large difference, but it's fractional as compared to the engine mounts.

If you don't notice a huge difference with the VT install, RE transmission mounts are probably not worth your money. If you love your VT engine mounts, the RE transmission mounts take the car further in that direction.
Good to know. I need to update the sticky!
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I have both VT/RE mounts and installed them at the same time, but something I can add is that my OE engine mounts were cracked and worn out, while my OE trans mounts were in good shape. Perhaps the engine mounts wear out faster, and that's why they're the bigger deal for most (if not all)? One of my mount brackets was loose, might have something to do with it as well...

I'd install them regardless, because half the fun of new parts is in the wrenching
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post

Awesome. I knew it would be rare, but this is exactly the kind of experience I was hoping someone would have. It definitely sounds like the RE mounts make a difference, and since I've already bought them, might as well get that extra 20% improvement.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, and thanks PB for sharing your experience with both setups! I can't wait to feel the difference the new mounts will make.

I should also say I somewhat skeptically installed the M5 weighted shift knob about a week ago, and I was shocked how much improvement it made in shifting. I didn't expect so much improvement from such a simple mod.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #9
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Does anybody have any knowledge as to what's the major difference between the 2 VT mounts listed on their site? I.e.: one says road 360m (road) and the other 362m
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Just throwing this it there but I got the Bimmerworld Group N "style" mounts and I think they're fantastic. Plus the price was really reasonable (i.e. much cheaper than VT)
      01-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #11
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNy View Post
Does anybody have any knowledge as to what's the major difference between the 2 VT mounts listed on their site? I.e.: one says road 360m (road) and the other 362m
The road version is the most recommended. The 362m is for track use. Someone here has the track version and didn't think it was overly harsh. VT was concerned most people would find the track version transmitted too much vibration. The road version is excellent.

Salty
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Broke?

Do I have the honor of being the first to break a VT mount?
44, 000 miles on them, 2.5 years, DD.

Name:  0212161226-01.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  48.2 KB
      02-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNy View Post
It should be the stiffness between the internal component rubber (at least that's how it was explained to me when I spoke with them). If I remember correctly the 362m is the "race" version whereas the 360 as you've stated above is the road version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I think so! Let us know how the coordination goes in repairing?
      02-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #14
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
uh oh. Mine is about the same age-wise, but only have about 20k miles on them. Looks like the passenger side? I need to take a closer look at them now

And yes, please keep us posted regarding repairs.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

What broke?
Maybe it's just me, but I can't tell from the pic.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #16
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Attachment 1363612
I can't quite tell what I'm seeing, but I understand VT sells replacement parts for them. Please let us know how it works out.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #17
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If it is repairable, Beedub on Z4-Forum said VT sent him a DIY guide and the compounds are replaceable for ~45 dollars.

Salty

Last edited by SaltyNC; 02-12-2016 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #18
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
What broke?
Maybe it's just me, but I can't tell from the pic.
You can see a tear in the rubber insert.

They are easy to take apart, so you just need the rubber core.
Pretty quick to fail though...You track a lot?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #19
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

About 1/10" clean crack right by the socket head.
Right side mount. The one that gets heat from the headers.

All I do is drive to work and back, mostly stop-go with the occasional high speed run when the freeway is clear.

Not sure I want to be pulling these things and rebuilding them every 2 years.
      02-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #20
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
About 1/10" clean crack right by the socket head.
Right side mount. The one that gets heat from the headers.

All I do is drive to work and back, mostly stop-go with the occasional high speed run when the freeway is clear.

Not sure I want to be pulling these things and rebuilding them every 2 years.
Did you notice any difference in handling, or just happen to see it while inspecting the car? Sure sad to see this. Hopefully it isn't going to be a regular occurrence.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #21
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You can see a tear in the rubber insert.

They are easy to take apart, so you just need the rubber core.
Pretty quick to fail though...You track a lot?
Ahhhh yes , I see it now.

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #22
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Ever since I had the rod bearings replaced, I've had a wicked vibration at cold idle.
Once it warms up, it's fine.
Thought it was the exhaust, but couldn't find anything.
Gave it a good going over again today while changing the oil.
Maybe now I've found it.

I emailed VT. Told them I'm not pleased and the others in the large group buy are nervous.
I think they sold about 60 sets in that GB.
Told them I would like ordering info for the replacement rubbers even though it would probably be to repair them and sell them on.
Partly BMW's fault, though. Insufficient heat shielding.

Last edited by StickMon; 02-13-2016 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 1