ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-03-2024, 12:33 PM   #1
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Rear view options

As a pet peeve of mine since really learning to drive has been the position of the rearview mirror on the windshield. Creates blind spots in the worst way especially driving in the sub where you never know if a kid’s in the driveway then run down to chase a run away ball at the worst angle worst timing and it blocks your view of them in that split second. I was always mindful of this but I really started paying super attention to that scenario ever since having a kid.

One thing I’ve been thinking about is replacing the mirror with a rear camera mount and having the view mounted where the nav screen is. Has anyone else done this to clear their field of view on the windshield? As I’m think of perusing this further in checking state laws it only states you need view unobtrusive for rear viewing in the driver position and only driver side side mirror being mandatory it doesn’t state location for a rearview mirror being fixed to the windshield and naturally there are vehicles such as work vans or trucks or uhaul that have solid rear cargo doors where you can’t use a rearview mirror anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 12:28 PM   #2
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Rear View Camera Mount...

I did not want to remove my rearview mirror as it is the most reliable way to see the rear (can't stop working for some techy reason) but i did want a rear view camera so i mounted mine to the backside of the visor as visors are already allowed by law do not obstruct your view any more that it already would when lowered.
Attached Images

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android
Appreciate 1
Piper1569.50
      02-05-2024, 01:25 PM   #3
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Kevo View Post
I did not want to remove my rearview mirror as it is the most reliable way to see the rear (can't stop working for some techy reason) but i did want a rear view camera so i mounted mine to the backside of the visor as visors are already allowed by law do not obstruct your view any more that it already would when lowered.
that’s actually an awesome idea thanks. Yeah it’s one of those things that drives me nuts. Same with newer cars like the mustang I leased with super wide A pillars. Most of the driveways in our sub and a lot in our area are on an uphill slope at about the half lot way to the next house the rearview blocks from the beginning of the driveway all the way to the garage of the upcoming house, which too I know driver height affects this but I find myself peering around each side of the rearview to make sure nothing or anyone is coming down a driveway. Lots of kids with runaway bigwheels in our neighborhood on those downward slope to the road driveways.

Last edited by Piper1; 02-05-2024 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Z4Kevo84.50
      02-06-2024, 07:11 PM   #4
spambojambo
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 M Coupe

You can pipe a reverse cam signal into the OEM Navigation screen with some third party devices, if keeping an OEM look is important.
I wired a "license-plate light" reverse cam into my e86 and ran it to a "Navtool" brand unit that interfaces between the nav computer and the video line, and it has worked great for me. The visibility at night, in particular, is waaaay better than trying to make the rearview mirror useful.
Appreciate 1
Piper1569.50
      02-07-2024, 07:25 AM   #5
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spambojambo View Post
You can pipe a reverse cam signal into the OEM Navigation screen with some third party devices, if keeping an OEM look is important.
I wired a "license-plate light" reverse cam into my e86 and ran it to a "Navtool" brand unit that interfaces between the nav computer and the video line, and it has worked great for me. The visibility at night, in particular, is waaaay better than trying to make the rearview mirror useful.
Are these the two you’re referring to? That looks like a really good option too thank you!

https://www.navtool.com/bmw-z4-2003-...e-carplay.aspx

https://www.navtool.com/rear-view-backup-camera.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 02:07 AM   #6
spambojambo
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 M Coupe

I went with this camera:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-.../002480brpc03/
It’s not quite as discrete as I assumed since the light assembly hangs a bit lower than the normal light, but it’s fine.
Name:  IMG_1993.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  117.4 KB

And this simple unit, since all I wanted was to feed in a front and rear camera: https://www.navtool.com/bmw-z4-2003-...interface.aspx

Note: though the navtool installation wasn’t super smooth, I got through it. The first harness they sent me was faulty and their instructions didn’t provide the correct dip-switch settings so I had to flip them until I found the right combo.
Also, it says you don’t have to cut any wires, but it really say “you don’t have to cut any *factory* wires” since it does expect you to cut loose a power and ground wire from *their* harness and run your own power connection.
After I sorted all that, it’s been working great 😅

Last edited by spambojambo; 02-08-2024 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
Piper1569.50