ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-29-2016, 01:36 AM   #1
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

First track day at Yas Marina, Abudabi.

Hi guys, the other day, on the 25th, I had the pleasure of actually being around for a track day at Yas Marina (south circuit). The day was a complete success and lots if fun was had by all (bar one guy in a 911, who crashed on the warm up lap)

Initial session my lap times were terrible, but then as the day evolved, so did my lap times, esp after not switching down to 2nd anymore.. just got in a groove and from the beginning of the day to the end, I think I took around 5 secs off the lap time.

Super enjoyable day, car went great, and now nicely tucked away for sleeping.

Last edited by Vanne; 03-29-2016 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #2
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Nice, sounds like you had a good time. Did you take any video while on the track? I have a weird love for watching people take our cars around various tracks

What was up with the other M Coupe in your photos? Granted, the red angel eyes is just personal preference, but the rear end on that car looks like it was lifted crazy high, to the point where the car looked visibly angled.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Noticed the same thing, definitely not a normal setup.

.....and those blood shot eyes.
Looks like me after an all nighter.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Noticed the same thing, definitely not a normal setup.

.....and those blood shot eyes.
Looks like me after an all nighter.
Maybe the eyes are for intimidation on the track? I'd certainly be taken off guard if I saw them coming up behind me...

About the angle on that car, though... I imagine it might potentially create some additional downforce for the rear end, but I can't help but wonder about how it would affect handling, otherwise. And wouldn't the front end be prone to bottoming out a bit? It almost reminds me of the setup you sometimes see on extreme end drag-only cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Lifting the rear like that puts a lot more preload on the front end effectively reducing rear end weight distribution.

Yeah, a lot like a drag setup.
You get the weight shift to the back on launch
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Hi guys, the other day, on the 25th, I had the pleasure of actually being around for a track day at Yas Marina (south circuit). The day was a complete success and lots if fun was had by all (bar one guy in a 911, who crashed on the warm up lap)

Initial session my lap times were terrible, but then as the day evolved, so did my lap times, esp after not switching down to 2nd anymore.. just got in a groove and from the beginning of the day to the end, I think I took around 5 secs off the lap time.

Sounds like it was a blast Vanne.

Nice pics, was anyone taking on-track pics?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Sadly no on site photographer, but the guy in the other coupe has some vids of the action.. ill share when I get it, in the mean time, bought myself a go pro..
      03-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

How did your brakes hold up shutting the car down on those long straights? What pads are you running? Sweet track and lots of fun I'm sure!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne
Sadly no on site photographer, but the guy in the other coupe has some vids of the action.. ill share when I get it, in the mean time, bought myself a go pro..
Sweeeet! Can't wait to see some vids of the tracks you have out there.

I'm still debating about getting a GoPro or just using my iPhone with Harry's Lap Timer integrated video function.

Are your tracks open to the public for a fee, or do you have to be a member of a local auto club?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:43 PM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longress View Post
How did your brakes hold up shutting the car down on those long straights? What pads are you running? Sweet track and lots of fun I'm sure!

Brakes were great, actually I was following a seat leon cup rs around at one stage, and outbraking him by a lot in every corner. Very happy with my brakes, running stoptech lines and stoptech pads. Swapped brake fluid before the track day.
      03-29-2016, 10:54 PM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion View Post
Sweeeet! Can't wait to see some vids of the tracks you have out there.

I'm still debating about getting a GoPro or just using my iPhone with Harry's Lap Timer integrated video function.

Are your tracks open to the public for a fee, or do you have to be a member of a local auto club?
Tracks here are open to the public on certian days for a fee, it works out around 150 us for a day.

Its heaps of fun, left the car running for about 20 mins after the session to slowly cool things down.