ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M/Z4M/Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Help with Mediabridge install in 2006 Z4M Roadster

Hello,

I just started installing the DICE mediabridge. I watched the videos online from Bavarian Soundwerks. I'm having trouble accessing the necessary cables because I can't lift the trim up at all, due to the manual center storage compartment release cable being in place. This button is not shown in the videos I saw from Bavarian Soundwerks I attached a photo - it's the round little black button with a cable attached. Behind this button under the trim is a foam block.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? Is there a way of removing this so I can lift the trim up to expose more of the cables?

Thank very much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

When my son and I installed my Media bridge it was sufficient to kind of lift the bottom of the upholstery enough to check for the CD changer connector. Mine was located behind the stut/frame near the bottom that is basically right below the button shown in your picture. I just kind of felt around behind the structural pieces. It's going to be closer to the bottom than higher up.
      04-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Pull the button away from the panel, and make a slit through the cable hole in the cardboard, just tall enough to slip the button through sideways. Then you can lift the panel and access the cables.

After you've made the connections for the mediabridge, just slip the button back through the slit from behind with your arm under the panel -there will be enough room to do that, then remove your arm and refasten the panel.

The edges of the slit will come back together invisibly - and you won't see it anyway with the button over top.

I ran the mediabridge cable sideways through the passenger side subwoofer opening into the passenger compartment, then tucked it under the console edge up into the cavity under the HVAC controls. The cable isn't visible at any point.

Despite what some have reported, the unit has worked great for me, for both Bluetooth telephony and ipod connectivity. Have fun with it ... !
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks very much it worked very well!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Glad it worked out for you - thanks for the update!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Glad to hear it worked flawlessly for you! Mine has been a nightmare. Did you get the dice version or the audiovox version just to clarify. I know I your original post you referred to it as the dice mediabridge. Thanks!
      05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep

Hi there,

I got the DICE from Bavarian Soundwerks.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...tegration-Kit/

I have it hooked up to an Ipad mini mounted on the central air vent and it has been working great so far. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOR3N
Hi there,

I got the DICE from Bavarian Soundwerks.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...tegration-Kit/

I have it hooked up to an Ipad mini mounted on the central air vent and it has been working great so far. Hope this helps!
Does your iPad mini have a data plan with it too? Got pics of the set up? Looks like I might have to buy another unit. The one I have now I actually purchased used. At least I know the thing actually works. You don't have any problems with it freezing o and having to disconnect your battery to get it working again?
      05-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep

So far so good for me, I have the LTE version but I've been tethering it to my phone so haven't needed to activate a plan as it's been working pretty well too. I'm sorry to hear about your current unit, hopefully a new one will do the trick.

I'm afraid I can't post photos for you right now as my car is getting some interior work done so it's in the shop for some time, but I will do so when I get it back again in a couple weeks if you're still interested then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Does your iPad mini have a data plan with it too? Got pics of the set up? Looks like I might have to buy another unit. The one I have now I actually purchased used. At least I know the thing actually works. You don't have any problems with it freezing o and having to disconnect your battery to get it working again?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOR3N
So far so good for me, I have the LTE version but I've been tethering it to my phone so haven't needed to activate a plan as it's been working pretty well too. I'm sorry to hear about your current unit, hopefully a new one will do the trick.

I'm afraid I can't post photos for you right now as my car is getting some interior work done so it's in the shop for some time, but I will do so when I get it back again in a couple weeks if you're still interested then.

Quote:
So I finally got mine to work with my iPhone 5. Actually, I just bought a new unit. The other unit kept up freezing up in me. I'm not sure why. Anyway, I'm definitely interested to see how your iPad mini set up looks like when you get the car back.

I have one more quick question regarding your set up. Did you connect your mediabridge microphone? Right now, when I make a phone call, the phone uses the Z4's OEM BT connection and microphone found in the steering wheel column. However, my wife says that when I have the top down, she can't hear me at all because of all the noise. Does the mediabridge microphone have any type of noise canceling technology that'll make it superior to use over the OEM BT? Thanks.
      08-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hi sorry took a while but finally got my car back. Here are some photos of the ipad mini hook up I'm using. Its a hybrid of kuda and proclip mounts.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

wow, this looks great. how durable is that mount? do you notice any excess vibration?

i personally don't really enjoy the factory nav, and i prefer to use Waze. I figure if i can tether my ipad mini to my phone, i can control music in the background, and any alerts from Waze would cut the music, and give me directions/warnings, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #13
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1nk50ck View Post
wow, this looks great. how durable is that mount? do you notice any excess vibration?
There is a bit of vibration with bumps in the road, but on smooth highway it is dead still.

Quote:
i personally don't really enjoy the factory nav, and i prefer to use Waze. I figure if i can tether my ipad mini to my phone, i can control music in the background, and any alerts from Waze would cut the music, and give me directions/warnings, etc.
Yes that is exactly how I'm using it
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOR3N View Post
Hi,

There is a bit of vibration with bumps in the road, but on smooth highway it is dead still.
Fantastic!

any worry about the mount itself falling off of the vents with spirited driving, hard accelerations, or hard cornering? I tried balancing my phone on the factory nav screen, but i'm worried that my phone will fly out the window at a hard turn, and it already has fallen down quite a bit after hard acceleration from a stop.

i guess i'm just worried that the weight of the ipad mini might be too much (as light as it is). an iphone mount would be much simpler/sturdier but the screen is just too small for my crappy vision. plus, i'd rather be able to see what i need to at a quick glance and keep my eyes on the road rather than squinting at a tiny phone screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
SHOR3N
Private
Canada
Rep

The mount came with screws to fix it to the air vent so you do need to screw into the vent from above and below to attach the mount, and you have to be careful with where to put the screw to not interfere with the directional fins in the vent. I don't think it was designed to hold the weight of the ipad mini with the proclip, so to be honest I just decided to give it a try. So far so good though and I don't see how it can break loose except with very great force (fingers crossed). The proclip is rated to withstand collision according to their website. In hindsight I think I would've ordered the proclip without the locking mechanism to reduce the overall weight.

Quote:
Fantastic!

any worry about the mount itself falling off of the vents with spirited driving, hard accelerations, or hard cornering? I tried balancing my phone on the factory nav screen, but i'm worried that my phone will fly out the window at a hard turn, and it already has fallen down quite a bit after hard acceleration from a stop.

i guess i'm just worried that the weight of the ipad mini might be too much (as light as it is). an iphone mount would be much simpler/sturdier but the screen is just too small for my crappy vision. plus, i'd rather be able to see what i need to at a quick glance and keep my eyes on the road rather than squinting at a tiny phone screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOR3N View Post
The mount came with screws to fix it to the air vent so you do need to screw into the vent from above and below to attach the mount, and you have to be careful with where to put the screw to not interfere with the directional fins in the vent. I don't think it was designed to hold the weight of the ipad mini with the proclip, so to be honest I just decided to give it a try. So far so good though and I don't see how it can break loose except with very great force (fingers crossed). The proclip is rated to withstand collision according to their website. In hindsight I think I would've ordered the proclip without the locking mechanism to reduce the overall weight.
Cool! Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M

I installed by mediabridge a few weeks ago and it has been amazing. The video installs online were perfect for the install.
Appreciate 0