ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-06-2021, 03:45 AM   #1
tomscott
tomscott
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E85 Z4M 06 Imola on Imola

BMW Z4M Spring Detail 2021 🚗 😍

Hi All,

Long time Z4M owner since 2011 but first time poster on here!

Thought I would share a vid I made of detailing the Z4M.

I spent the last 3 weeks on and off (probably 3-4 days in total) detailing the Z4M! This is a stage 2 correction and made a little vid with the pics and video I took.

CLEANING

• Wheels Cleaned including faces, inner barrels and behind the spokes with Meguiars ultimate wheel cleaner
• Meguiars Snow Foam Pre-Wash applied to remove lose particles of dirt
• Two bucket with Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax PH Neutral safe wash performed
• Full decontamination of the body from Iron Fallout and Tar
• Clay decontamination process performed to remove any further hidden contaminants
• Final rinse completed and then plush towels used to dry the vehicle

Wrap removed, for 14 years the car had a carbon fibre look wrap which wasn’t to my taste and was looking its age so I removed it. I used a hair dryer to remove the wrap from the front and rear valance and the wing mirrors. Unfortunately on the rear valance over time water has got under the wrap and the paint which lifted when removed so this will need respraying, the rest came away without issue.

• Lower body, door, boot, bonnet shuts and sills were then cleaned with Meguiars ceramic detailer
• Engine bay cleaned with degreaser and dressed
• Glass and mirrors cleaned with Meguires perfect clarity glass cleaner

CORRECTION

The paint showed fairly heavy swirls and some deeper scratches and looked a little dull, common of a 15 year old car. I decided to use a two stage to see how well it would come up. The front bumper and bonnet has a lot of stone chips and road rash and with the rear valance needing respraying I will probably get all done at the same time. I was interested to see how well it would come up.

• First stage medium cutting process with Meguiars Ultimate Compound the DFC5 red pad to remove swirls, deeper scratches and defects. Each panel had 3-4 passes the paint is extremely hard, I got all the swirls out but a few deeper scratches remain.
• A panel wipe was performed to prep for polishing
• Second pass performed using Meguirars Ultimate Polish with the DFP5 pad to refine the paintwork from the cutting stage to give it the deep shine. Each panel had 2-3 passes which really did bring the paint back to life.
• A panel wipe was performed to prep for waxing
• Third pass using Meguiars Liquid Ceramic Wax Sealant with the DFF5 pad, applied to paintwork to add a layer of protection - first time using this and it went on really easily with no hazing.
• Wax was buffed off the paint with plush towels
• Meguirars Ceramic Detailer to finish off

INTERIOR DETAIL

• Hoovered the carpets and matts
• Everything but the seats cleaned with Meguires ultimate interior detailer - fabulous product can be used on everything and leaves a great satin finish
• Leather seats, steering wheel, handbrake, door cards and Leather Z arm rest cleaned with Gliptone Liquid Leather Gentle Cleaner then conditioned with Liquid Leather Conditioner to leave a satin finish and incredible leather smell

Really happy with the results! The paint was in real need of attention with a lot of swirls, some road rash and generally quite dull. There are a few panels that need respraying like the front bumper and the bonnet which still need doing but the correction has made this much less noticeable and the result is a car which is very presentable for 70k miles.

Next step is to have the panels resprayed and also have the aero skirts I acquired recently also sprayed and fitted. After the panels have been resprayed I think I will get the car PPF wrapped to protect it for piece of mind.

I did forget to dress the tyres!
54 911 C4S vert 50:50 Share
Follow me on Insta: Imola_z4m
More images: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmF8uvAv
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #2
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

It looks beautiful!

Well done - very precise and thorough spring cleaning. You've owned your beloved Z4MR since 2011, correct? Are you keeping it for the long-term?
      04-07-2021, 02:34 AM   #3
tomscott
tomscott
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E85 Z4M 06 Imola on Imola

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
It looks beautiful!

Well done - very precise and thorough spring cleaning. You've owned your beloved Z4MR since 2011, correct? Are you keeping it for the long-term?
Thanks!

Not this specific car, I had a Z4M coupe I bought back in 2011 then sold it to travel for a year and when I got back went to the dark side with a couple of Porsches then came back to this which I’ve had about 18 months decided to buy a roadster this time!

This is my old coupe

BMW Z4M Coupe CSL wheels by Tom Scott, on Flickr

BMW Z4M Coupe rear by Tom Scott, on Flickr

BMW Z4M Coupe, Silver Grey, CSL wheels by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Unfortunately the next owner crashed it.
54 911 C4S vert 50:50 Share
Follow me on Insta: Imola_z4m
More images: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmF8uvAv
Appreciate 1