ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
topendpower
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

How important is CPO?

This is my first post after lurking for quite awhile. Right now I'm looking at a '07 Z4MC blk/blk at a bmw dealer in the low 30's. The car has 3,000 miles and they have not put the car through the certification process. As is, the car has a little over a year left on the original factory warranty but the dealer is offering to certify the car for an additional $2800. I've got two questions for ya'll.

Will you give me some feedback on the overall reliability of this car?

Given the mileage it seems like the $2,800 could do a considerable amount of the possible repair work past the factory warranty. If were buying the car how important would the CPO warranty be to you?

Thanks in advance for the help. I hope to be joining the club soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
xJxDx0926
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

CPO extends the Warranty to 6 Years or 100,000 miles from the day YOU purchase it. I say do it, because if they find anything wrong in that certification process (which is pretty tough) They are going to fix/replace it.

Here is the CPO checklist http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shoppi...inspection.pdf
      12-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJxDx0926 View Post
CPO extends the Warranty to 6 Years or 100,000 miles from the day YOU purchase it. I say do it, because if they find anything wrong in that certification process (which is pretty tough) They are going to fix/replace it.

Here is the CPO checklist http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shoppi...inspection.pdf
The 6 yrs is from the in service date, or 100K, whichever comes first.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
topendpower
Rep

If the warranty was 6 years from my purchase date I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. But for what boils down to two additional years due to the "in service" date $2800 seems high? There appears to be one vote in favor of warranty, anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

I don't drive an M, with that said I was happy that the 05 I bought was CPO. It had 34K on it, complete maintenance records that showed it was cared for, the CPO was a nice just-in-case that is still in effect through April of 2011. And it was advertised CPO so I didn't have to pay anything extra for it. (ya I know hidden premium $)

After reading about the higher maintenance/repair costs on the Z4M's I would be inclined to believe it would be advantageous to have CPO. I guess the most surprising thing to me is that an 07 M with that low of mileage wouldn't be CPO to begin with.

Non-BMW dealer?

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
topendpower
Rep

The car is at a BMW dealer. I think they are selling the car w/o the warranty due to the difference in cost (from an advertising pov, add it if you want but up the price). Just really pondering whether its worth going from 33ish to 36 for the piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

If it were me, I'd pass on the CPO. You'd be better off setting aside the $2800 as a slush fund for unexpected repairs.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

It's definitively worth it for long term peace of mind I bought mine with CPO but it had around 40k miles I am good till 2012 the extended maintenence is not worth it though it doesn't add up. I would fight for a better price on the car or CPO these cars are hard to sell for dealerships tell them you will take car today if they bring it down to 1800 for the CPO. Or say there is a slightly higher mileage one available somewhere else that already has CPO for 32k. Negociate and then negociate some more you will get something in return.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

from what i see, the z4 is a quite "simple" car which proves to be pretty reliable.
if you have a year or so remaining on warranty, just drive it as the main car and hope you find something.
i bought mine from a BMW dealer and it wasn't cpo'ed because they said it'd cost around 3k more on the price to have it CPO'ed since it costs more to warranty an M car.
i vote save the money and go for non-cpo'ed that has a yr or so of warranty still remaining
      12-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
If it were me, I'd pass on the CPO. You'd be better off setting aside the $2800 as a slush fund for unexpected repairs.
This is my plan as if you pay an extra $2800 for the CPO and nothing goes wrong during the covered period, guess what? You spent $2800 on NOTHING. If you put $2800 aside and nothing happens you still have your $2,800(plus interest). Sure, you are taking a gamble against anything happening, but BMWUSA makes the same gamble, and the house rarely loses...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
topendpower
Rep

Thanks for the input everyone. chickdr kind of reflects my opinion. I'll talk to the dealer more tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
KenTenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

The other thing to look at is what is NOT covered under the CPO. There are quite a few exclusions that could result in out-of-pocket expenditures even with the CPO coverage.

ZSCCA Area Rep - TN
www.zscca.org
'06 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
Lance_Goodthrust
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Gran Coupe

Last summer I bought my 2006 3.0si roadster with 15000 miles, already CPOed when I found it. Got the car for 28000.

Good: The CPO got me a new set of tires, and fixed those infernal cup holders. Everything else on the checklist checked OK.

Bad: When I got the car home CD player would not work. Took it back to dealer and they found 2 CDs jammed into the player! Yet it was checked off as OK. Now I'm wondering what else was merely "checked off" as OK with out really checking.

But I love my Z4 and I think I got a good buy! My CPO warranty is now good until 12/31/12.
And warranty work during the 2 year extension has a $50 co-pay.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

It really depends if you believe in the dealer's work. I've had my cars fixed by dealer under warranty...if it's simple...they are great at it...anything more complicated...my experience is that they are overpaid. I had to correct some of the things they did on my car...I didn't go back because it's a drive for me. I've gone to a few dealers around the area. I also know some industry people..it's a crap shoot of getting good tech or not. Many times a simple oil change and they overfill. The warranty would be for major malfunction insurance and even then....you have to see if they will determine if it's under warranty or not...

My car is still under warranty...I asked what happens if I replace the brake pads for less dust and the SA told me that the brakes and rotor are no longer under warranty than for that portion. I'm not going to debate who's right or wrong on that one...I left my brakes alone.

So if you don't have a good local independent or not mechanically able to do it yourself... I say go with CPO. If you plan to do any mods or don't think your car will break down as fast...the slush fund is not a bad idea.

The CPO is the extension of 2 years the first date the car was bought from the original owner not the the production date.

I chose the M over a Cayman S because of the warranty and maintence... but now it's really only for the warranty of what's left on the car and major maintence afterwards I would not go with CPO. I think the oil changes...I'll have them do it and check everything afterwards and siphon any excess oil they put in.

Your car has 3K miles on it... unless you really abuse it or drive a lot of mileage I wouldn't bother....also you can buy CPO at the end of the car...it's better because if you get into an accident...CPO isn't transferable... WAIT until the last moment and shop around...that way you will not have given them money several years ahead nor risk losing CPO in the event of totaling the car.

Good luck
Appreciate 0