ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

Navigation, worth it?

As I close in on my Z4MC, I am debating whether Nav is worth it.

I'm inclined to not get it, but I would like the iPod controls that can be modded into it.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: cbr600rr

i love my factory nav. I much prefer the big screen as opposed to the signature little red bar on BMWs. I have enabled the perspective mode as well as tweaked the nav voice. instead of an American woman's voice, i have an English woman's voice. makes me feel like James Bond!

Im also a fan of technology, so that flip up nav screen that automatically comes up and disappears is nice. Also you wont have to deal with suction cup mounts and having to remove and stow your nav when you get out of the car. very handy in the summer with the top down!

You can tweak the DSP and room/echo as well as car settings. There are two hidden menus that can be accessed. (cool factor)

CONS: expensive NAVTEQ DVD based maps. ( Although it does not lose signal in bad weather or tunnels.) Also the screen doesn't fully open sometimes. This is a rare but annoying occurance.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

I wouldnt have ordered it, but im glad to have it. its a bit annoying using the knobs to put in addresses, but it works well enough. It is nice having it to adjust the stereo, and I like to leave the map view up on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
get it!

I never thought I'd really want one, but the last car on the dealers lot had it. I'm really glad it has it for a several reasons:

1)Intravee II connected to Ipod and HD radio module gives lots of info on the nav screen. Artist, album, song info, search functions via ipod and hd radio.

2)Sound configurable via the screen with DSP options, eq setting.

3)Onboard computer setting and info, beep at a settable mph. 2 mpg settings.

4)Telephone directory and see who's calling on nav screen.

5)Best feature is to put the map in 400 foot mode and use it as your own rally car navigator showing all the turns on unfamiliar roads. That's really nice at night. I never though a Nav could get that detailed on some of the back country roads I drive.

Bottom line, the nav is well integrated to do more the just gps functions.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

You guys have made a pretty good case.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-coupe View Post
You guys have made a pretty good case.
yeah, if you like gadget electronic type stuff then the nav option is for you. Some people could care less and just want to drive....
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I haven't played around with the newer BMW factory Nav units, but the Nav system I had in the 2009 MB C180 I rented in Germany was incredible. It was tied in with the very effective German traffic reporting system and within a few seconds after a radio report of a traffic jam the Nav would direct me off the autobahn and around the jam. It was way cool.

As for me, I have three vehicles, so the Garmin Nuvi works well as I can move it around between cars. I use the sandbag-type dash mount, so no mucking around with suction cups. But the BMW Nav screen has other uses which are also beneficial. I miss the screen in my gone-but-not-forgotten 7-series which gave me all the onboard computer info on one screen.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:45 AM   #8
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

IMO No

I'm sure a lot of Nav. owners will jump all over me for this review, but I have owned both and this is what I have found.

I had a Z4 M roadster with all options ( oh how I miss extended leather ) except Nav.

I Now have a Z4 M coupe with Nav.

My observations are as follows:

The not so good:

-the screen is not as bright as it could be
-the unit looks after market, like you just cut a hole in the dash and drop in a generic plastic unit.
-the nav program is good, but many others out there I find to be better.
-the menu screens are just okay
-user interface is just okay
-The sound quality suffers with the digital eq in the nav. system.
- sounds okay loud
- bass really distorts and sounds crummy with most music.
-systems were identical except for nav unit. I have taken the Coupe to BMW twice to check system and they have proven that all is well. The only problem is, Music sounds way better in the non nav. applications. My Father also just picked up an M roadster without nav. and system sounds awsome, just like my roadster.

The Good:

-is very useful at times
-increases re-sale values
-cool toy for the first 6 mo.

I recommend that when you test drive the Z4's, you really take the time to critically use and test the nav/stereo system before you decide

Good Luck.
      12-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
speed camera

yes, the z4 oem nav is pretty dated compared to what's out there, but it will get you there. You can add speed cameras to the DVD so it will give you an audible warning when you are approaching one. This is nice in Maryland where there are are putting them up everywhere.

I do have a garmin nuvi with speed cameras for my other cars. It's just nice not having to cart it to my z4 and cart it back out.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep

I agree that the nav is dated and it is a bit hard to use, but i still prefer it over the regular business stereo.

If went to a new area and am looking for POIs I would still use my Iphone.

Is it worth the $1800 (IIRC) they charge for it? to me yes due to convenience and cool factor.

Besides whats $1800 a month when you finance? $30 bucks extra a month for a 60 month payment. Skip starbucks coffee for a week to make that 30.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2b96p View Post
tweaked the nav voice. instead of an American woman's voice, i have an English woman's voice. makes me feel like James Bond!
Nice! How do you do that?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Nice! How do you do that?
i believe its step 5 on this link
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ght=navigation
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

I hate the factory Nav. I think it looks cheap. I have it in my 335i and feel it was a waste of money even though it looks better in the 335. For the cost and adaptability I went with a TomTom for my Z4 M. It is easily updated at a fraction of the cost. You can also get the speed camera warnings for it here in Europe, not sure about the USA.

2006 E46 M3, 2004 Jeep Rubicon, 93 Golf VR6
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty C View Post
I hate the factory Nav. I think it looks cheap. I went with a TomTom for my Z4 M. It is easily updated at a fraction of the cost. You can also get the speed camera warnings for it here in Europe, not sure about the USA.
What looks cheaper, a huge LCD screen that raises up out of the dash with a split screen mode showing your MP3 ID3 tags or a portable GPS unit suction cupped to the windshield with an electrical wire coming off it and plugged into the cigarette lighter? hmmm

The USA has speed camera warnings for both portable gps units as well as the oem installed gps. The oem speed camera gives you an audible warning through the stereo as well as a visual on the large LCD screen. You may never hear a portable GPS speed warning if you have the stereo cranked up. On a positive, note, if you have multiple vehicles, a portable GPS can be carted form vehicle to vehicle and even used on foot or bike.
Appreciate 0