ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Z4M coupe V Z4 coupe 3.0

Hi everyone,

I currently own a 2007 BMW 130i and am thinking that my next car (in another year, give or take) is going to me a Z4 coupe either an M or 3.0. I prefer the subtle differences of the M over the 3.0 but is the extra money worth it, here in Australia they are about $20k extra?

Also are servicing costs & repairs significantly more for a M over the 3.0?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

Not trying to be a smart a$$ - but do you really think the difference in all of that hp and torque is subtle???

Doug
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep

LOL, well in looks they look almost the same minor a couple of subtle differences. In power there is only 0.7sec difference to 100km/hr. I'm not going to race it, so it will be my daily drive :-)

I guess if servicing costs are extremely high then I can probably on afford the 3.0. I'd be happy with either, although the M does look amazing!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

If all the performance difference you can see is the straight line acceleration, go for the 3.0Si. The M is overkill for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
iridelow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M roadster

Believe me, there is a big difference between the two cars. It's not just the HP, or even the handling, it's the over-all feel and response! They may look very simular but they are NOT! Think of it this way, you might have two very good looking women you dated in the past, but I bet the fact they they look alike has nothing to with how they perform!!!
      12-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

The only way to decide if the M is for you is to drive one. The other posters are right - the difference isn't subtle. But you may find that the very things that distinguish the M make it less suitable for you as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Living the M Style means paying for the M Style. It's not cheap to maintain, but it helps if you're handy.

Live life according to budget... you're getting an awesome car regardless of which trim.
      12-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep

I appreciate all your feedback/comments. I'm not putting the car down in any way whatsoever, remember I actually want to buy one. I prefer the M over the 3.0. But was just asking the questions. I haven't even sat in one, let alone driven a 3.0 or M. We have loads of roadsters here which I see everyday on the road, but we don't have many coupes. So I only just decided that I think the coupe will be my next car. Now I need to find $84,000 to buy one, less the sale price of my car......:-(
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
You really need to drive both and see for yourself how they fit in with how you expect to use it - the M is quite a bit more hyper in feeling than the 3.0, which is great for carving up canyon roads or the local track, but less so if you get into heavy traffic often. The 3.0si that we get in the States is remarkably fuel efficient for its power, (I expect the ones you get down under are in similar tune - 255bhp vs. 330bhp for the M) and is a great sportscar on its own merit, and also makes a pretty good distance car with its better mileage/range and greater trunkspace. I know of others who have also had both versions who prefer the 3.0 for general driving tho the M is much the preferred mount for track use.

Beyond the difference in purchase price, the main differences in operating costs are the higher fuel consumption of the M - figure on 4-6 miles per US gallon less - and the maintenance costs which is mainly the added valve adjustments required during the inspections every 25-30k miles for an extra $6-800US and brake parts that run about double the cost. While these cars have so far been pretty reliable, and most repairs so far have been covered by warranty (at least for cars here in the US) for long term repairs one can generally figure that M specific parts cost around double their standard line BMW counterparts. And, don't forget insurance, which may or may not be significantly different between the two - it hasn't made much difference to me, but it can for some.

In general, you can't go wrong with either car. The choice comes down mostly to your preferences and how you plan to use the car vs. what you can or want to budget for keeping it running as intended.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:34 AM   #10
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

I think I can comment on this as I had a 3.0SI for 2 years and currently driving a M roadster now. You can see them as a pro or a con.

The M is a harder suspension (rougher ride)... and can handle a turn a little better setting aside tracking the car.

The brakes squeak more and grip a lot better.

You lose about an average of 4 miles per gallon driving overall.

If you don't plan on supercharging the car and happy with the 265HP...stick with the 3.0SI...If you want the hood, get a TC carbon fiber one and maybe a front bumper too... the money you saved You can also get a KW suspension as well.

Since I was buying my car, I opted for the M and maybe one day making it a little more peppy...but ideally I would love for the M to get the same gas mileage as a 3.0SI....that's my biggest complaint if I were to have one.

The M really comes alive around 3.5K RPM...I can see why so many M owners talk about a different rear end. So unless you plan on ripping the town.... I'm pretty sure you will be happy with the 3.0SI...if you plan on tracking or modding the car...get the M.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Agree with the other posters who state that you must drive both to know the difference.

Disagree to the extent that both cars are very fast, not just the M. The 3.0 may be just fine for you. I would put a well driven 3.0i on good tires up against an average driven M on average tires any day on an autocross course. Furthermore, I venture to say that you will never drive your car as hard on the street as you will on an autocross course (I hope not).

If you are a true junkie and will track the car... well we know the M will kill the 3.0 any day of the week.

I love my 3.0. It was awesome when I tracked it and it is awesome when I autocross it heavily in the summers.

Anyone can drive fast in straight lines and it takes more than just a car to drive a course well. Unless you are really going to be an avid enthusiast at regular driving events, I submit that the 3.0i is the better car for cost, gas mileage, and maintenance reasons among others. In addition, the saved money can go to better tires, lighter wheels, or whatever you want to make it "perfect" for you.

The biggest drawback of the 3.0 for me (and I have driven the M Z4 hard too) is the:

1. lack of limited slip diff.
2. electric power steering is sorta weird sometimes. M has hydraulic

Otherwise, the 3.0 is faster than about 90% of cars on the road and IS a good performer.

Good luck. Just test drive a lot of cars. Get the 3.0 in sports package.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I just recently got my 3.0 Si. Prior to that, I've had (and still drive) family sedans - Honda Accords to be precise. So naturally, I am wowed by my Z4 even though its not an M.

With respect to the sport button / feature, if an adrenaline rush every now and then is a goal of yours, be sure to get that feature in your car. Think of it as either:
  1. the Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde button.
  2. The Millenium Falcon going into hyperdrive (of course, without needing Chewie and Han to bang on the pipes).
  3. Warp Drive. Engage! Make it so, Number One!!

As polished a car as these BMWs are, this will be sure to bring a big old grin to your face every time you use it. And maybe an urge to go "Yee-Haw" like Bo and Luke in the General Lee. Although that was not a Beemer they drove.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

i had a z4c si before needing to sell for the e90 m3 and now got a z4mc after realizing the m3 is not a true "all in 1" car.
while having the z4c, i did drive my friend's z4mr but didn't think the difference was that much and was happy with mine. however, now that i own the z4mc, the difference is actually GREAT. i just love the raw feeling of the engine and how overall the car feels a lot more raw. the power is a lot more livable with and love seeing the 2 bumps on the hood.
but unlike other Ms, i don't think z4m is wide body, they may be the same in terms of size, but again, i can be wrong on that, never bothered to look it up.

anyways, it's an awesome sports car in either trim, just that M being of course the sportier of the two.
i truly believe LSD should always be standard on RWD, so much on 2seater sports cars, but oh wells. now i have it on both cars. =)
      12-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Some may be of the view that this is rather like trying to agree on whether Miss February is hotter than Miss July.

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

If Miss February is cheaper and more practical for you than Ms. July, but only 85% as hot (on the only hot models scale), assuming you don't want to get them both, since it is unlikely you could handle both of them at the same time, you could always do February and do whatever "bolt ons" or "aftermarkets" that need to cater to your individual desires.

I am going to get a LSD after three years with my Miss February, and some stiffer shocks, but otherwise foresee a long term relationship even in spite of Ms. July's strong merits.

The Z4 is an all around great car. I would focus on being the best driver you can be, since most people cannot match even the 3.0's capability the M is really just for status and excitement, and leaves much capability unused.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #16
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

I drove a modded out Autox car as my daily driver for a while a number of years ago. The Z4M has the same kind of feel - aggressive, highly capable, but uneconomical and a bit brutalizing on long trips. I gave into temptation far too often when I had that car, drove like a lunatic and got pulled over way too many times. Though I'm 20 years older now I suspect if I owned the M the same damn thing would happen.

If you have more self-discipline than I (or friends in traffic enforcement) then the M may be for you. If you're still a teenage boy at heart like I am then the non-M may be just enough to satisfy your need for speed but keep you out of jail.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #17
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlink720 View Post
If Miss February is cheaper and more practical for you than Ms. July, but only 85% as hot (on the only hot models scale), assuming you don't want to get them both, since it is unlikely you could handle both of them at the same time, you could always do February and do whatever "bolt ons" or "aftermarkets" that need to cater to your individual desires.

I am going to get a LSD after three years with my Miss February, and some stiffer shocks, but otherwise foresee a long term relationship even in spite of Ms. July's strong merits.

The Z4 is an all around great car. I would focus on being the best driver you can be, since most people cannot match even the 3.0's capability the M is really just for status and excitement, and leaves much capability unused.
Damn NLink! This is the funniest post I've read here in a long time! Having said that, when I purchased my car in July, I originally made an offer on a 3.0si (Ms. February) at one dealership. They wouldn't drop their price $500 more. I had already decided that the ///M (Ms. July) was worth $5000 more to me, and that $500 difference that the first dealership wouldn't budge on - which made the price difference on the 2 cars I was looking at exactly $5000 - made me get the ///M. 5 months and 12000 miles later I'm glad I went for the M.
Some consider the ///M too harsh for daily driving. FWIW, my wife begs me to let her have it for the day any time I'm willing to let her.
As for cost of ownership - only you can decide if you can afford it. Yes, the ///M is more expensive than the si. BUT, the cost of the performance of an ///M vs. the comparative competition (Porshe Cayman S, Vette C6, etc) makes the ///M a very affordable alternative.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #18
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Skim,
Did you feel a noticeable difference between the Z4Mr vs Z4Mc? I drove my friend's Z4Mc when I had the 3.0SI roadster and notice it was 10 to 20% better...but that was about it...granted I didn't track the car...but had fun driving it. I'm curious if the differences in rigidity is subtle or noticeable?

Back to the topic...in terms of 3.0SI sport mode...it's like M in regular mode, but the M motor run up the RPMs higher. If we are going to be sexist... the 3.0SI is like an 8 and reliable girlfriend that's going to treat you well...but the M is like a 9/9.5 that's high maintenance and is rough with you and you have to shell out a money to keep up the maintenance and maybe new shoes (suspsension) and a boob job (supercharger). I'm happy with both.
Appreciate 0