ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

What is the best way to reduce interior rattles? (exhaust related?)

I have had my RPI axel back on for about 6 months now, and the cabin has been full of rattles ever since. The awful plasticy sounds originate from the vents, cup holders, and somewhere behind the seats on the plastic firewall. It really sucks to have the lovely loud noise of the exhaust (which I dont mind at all) competing with what now feels like a cheap cabin. Has anyone else tried to deal with this issue? I have seen some sound deadening done, but that is not a route I would like to go down. Would after market hangers absorb more vibration?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
mckenna4978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' BMW z4mr-A08

I also have the RPI exhaust on the z4m and haven't had any problems with serious dash squeaks. Although the car is an 07' and approaching the 10 yr. mark soon, all in all it has it's nuances. It is a ragtop, the suspension is hard and it transitions through hot/cold cycles throughout the year here in Chicago. Your right about the squeaks coming from behind the seats, but I attribute that to it's character. I love the car. Transitioning from a BMW R1200RT motorcycle to something a hell of a lot safer with 4 wheels, this car has some balls. I have seen too many traffic fatalities on bikes. This car amazes me every time I drive it. Looked at the Honda S2000 first for reliability but loved the body lines on this car and it was a better fit ergonomically.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
tlav17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I have RPI also and I get some rattling from the storage compartment between the seats. I've heard a few people say they like the DKF hangers and I believe they cut down the vibration. I have to do some more research but I'll probably try those

Past: '08 Alpine White M3, '07 Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe, '04 Imola Red M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
fdagen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

There was a thread a while back on tightening the hangers too tight and not allowing the elastomer to do its job. I loosened my boots to just snug and some folks used lock tight over over tightening. It helped with my rattles with RPI under load. Also, in my opinion the dkf hangers only help with adjustability. The stock hangers have just as much noise isolation.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
tlav17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdagen View Post
There was a thread a while back on tightening the hangers too tight and not allowing the elastomer to do its job. I loosened my boots to just snug and some folks used lock tight over over tightening. It helped with my rattles with RPI under load. Also, in my opinion the dkf hangers only help with adjustability. The stock hangers have just as much noise isolation.
thanks for the tip. I'll try loosening my stock hangers a little bit

Past: '08 Alpine White M3, '07 Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe, '04 Imola Red M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I tried loosening my hangers a bit, today, and I think the installer must have used a pry bar to tighten them. I could not break them loose with a wrench.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 12:36 AM   #7
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

The best way to reduce interior rattle would be to ship the car to Germany to have it disassembled and then reassembled.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
tlav17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
The best way to reduce interior rattle would be to ship the car to Germany to have it disassembled and then reassembled.
That's plan B. Then I can do Euro delivery!

Appreciate 0