ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Bumper carrier bracket on the fenders

When I installed the APR splitter I noticed the passenger bumper carrier bracket is falling apart. Ordered a new one and looked up how to remove the old one, came across a post from Aron Stygar that it can not be removed without destroying the bracket.

Actually, you CAN remove the bracket without destroying it, you just need a tool that has a slight bend, like a trim removed tool or a bent screw driver. If you can reach between the fender liner and the fender, you can feed the tool in far enough to release the tabs holding the bracket to the fender. Mine was already broken, but when I tried to install the new bracket I didn't line up the small guide tab right and the three top tabs engaged. I was able to reach around and release the tabs to remove the carrier bracket and reinstall with the bottom guide tab in place.

Sorry, no pictures. But one of these came in REALLY handy.

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #2
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
wish i'd known that. mine basically shattered(glad i was wearing glasses!)
      04-06-2017, 02:14 AM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
When I installed the APR splitter I noticed the passenger bumper carrier bracket is falling apart. Ordered a new one and looked up how to remove the old one, came across a post from Aron Stygar that it can not be removed without destroying the bracket.

Actually, you CAN remove the bracket without destroying it, you just need a tool that has a slight bend, like a trim removed tool or a bent screw driver. If you can reach between the fender liner and the fender, you can feed the tool in far enough to release the tabs holding the bracket to the fender. Mine was already broken, but when I tried to install the new bracket I didn't line up the small guide tab right and the three top tabs engaged. I was able to reach around and release the tabs to remove the carrier bracket and reinstall with the bottom guide tab in place.

Sorry, no pictures. But one of these came in REALLY handy.

Perfect timing, I just noticed the same thing on both cars and ordered parts. I think it's weak spot given the number I've seen broken. Great tip.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      04-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I basically had the same scenario, broke a tab removing my bumper, bought the replacement, and ended up shattering the broken one to get it off. Good to know for the future. I bought a set of these from harbor freight after the experience as well. They help get the bumper off without breaking the damn bracket in the first place
Appreciate 0