ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Car Wash products

Hoping this thread might start a good discussion on what everyone uses to WASH, not necessarily techniques.

I used to use Meguiar's something er other. Did the job, nothing fancy i guess. But I recently just picked up some Turtle Wax Ice Wash stuff and MAN!!! Seriously, same ways of washing the car like I did with the Meguiar's stuff (2 bucket STRICTLY), but this stuff left ZERO water spots and wiped off with a microfiber drying towel no problem.

I used to use a chamois until I could feel/see it leaving marks (for lack of a better word) in the wax/sealant. I bought a microfiber drying towel (don't know the exact terminology...lol) instead and drying went so smoothly.

DISCLAIMER:

I am NOT promoting any product, simply giving my opinions of use.

What do you all use to wash? I never knew that something as simple as 'soap' or washing liquid (my brain will NOT cooperate) would really make a difference.
      05-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Zaino and a leaf blower for me. Then detail spray (Zaino Z6) with a big fluffy cotton towel with no edges.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
I just use Meguairs Gold Class soap. I'm usually waxing or quick detailing after the wash, so I'm not too picky on car wash soaps. I'm embarrassed to say that I use to use dish soap up until about 8-10 years ago.....LOL

I recently picked up Klasse All-In-One polish/sealant and the 100% carnauba P21s wax and have been VERY impressed with the results. In fact, I spent pretty much all day yesterday detailing the cars.
      05-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasupdu View Post
I just use Meguairs Gold Class soap. I'm usually waxing or quick detailing after the wash, so I'm not too picky on car wash soaps. I'm embarrassed to say that I use to use dish soap up until about 8-10 years ago.....LOL

I recently picked up Klasse All-In-One polish/sealant and the 100% carnauba P21s wax and have been VERY impressed with the results. In fact, I spent pretty much all day yesterday detailing the cars.
yeah i usually polish/wax after every wash, but with this stuff i dind't have to (due to no water spots). that's what i was raving about. i like to be lazy whenever possible.
      05-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I use Meguairs Gold Class as well. I switched to it not long ago and really like it. It can also be found at Costco quite cheap. Rinses off very clean.

Before that I used Turtle Wax Zip Wax Car Wash. It did fine but was harder to rinse off. If you have a dark car don't use it.

I only use one bucket and have never had an issue. Just rinse off any large debris before washing your car and you don't need it.

I finish off every wash with a California Water Blade and then use an old towel to dry off the remaining. Leaf blower just blows dust on my freshly washed car. I do use one on my motorcycle to get water out of the corners and crevices of the engine. Works well there. I would use it under the hood as well when washing there.

Before I put down the wax I usually put a layer of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Gives a nice shiny glaze on the surface to seal up with the wax. Really gives a deep shine. Again, not expensive and does a great job.

S100 Carnauba Paste Wax found in motorcycle shops is an incredible wax and only $16. Will give you 5-8 waxings and is about the best bang for the buck out there. It's the same formulation as P21S Carnauba and half the price.

I need to get some Klasse sealant. I've heard nothing but rave reviews.

When I need to really dig in I use a Porter Cable 7424xp with Lake Country pads. Very good combo.

I have used Mequiar's and NuFinish scratch remover. NuFinish actually worked better than Meguiar's. I was able to get a really deep scratch out using it with a course Lake Country pad.

Meguiar's swirl remover doesn't last long. I may not have worked it long enough, but seems even after spending hours using the swirl remover it didn't do much. And didn't last either. I would spend more $ if you need it and look into a higher end swirl remover.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
I wash with Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine with a little Menzerna Auto Shampoo for suds. Apply with a Griot's lambs wool mit and drag dry with a microfiber waffle towel. Finish air drying with a Shopvac. Finally apply Zanio Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

prewash with adams shampoo using gilmour gun
wash using 2 buckets with 1Z perls and lambs wool wash mitt and dry using waffle towel
when its time to apply wax i use 1z glanz usually by hand
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

For me, it's Meg's Gold Class wash + lambs wool wash mit. I actually like the Sonus Acrylic Glanz sold by autopia-carcare as a touch up to my paint sealant. Twice a year (spring and fall), I put on a coat of Klasse AIO (love this stuff) after claying and any minor paint correction. Depending on time, i'll let the AIO sit for a while before (if I have time) putting on Klasse SG.

In the spring, I like to put on a coat of AIO on my wheels if I get a chance to. It holds up pretty well to heat from the brakes and also makes it a lot easier to remove brake dust buildup.
      05-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
Leaf blower just blows dust on my freshly washed car. I do use one on my motorcycle to get water out of the corners and crevices of the engine. Works well there. I would use it under the hood as well when washing there.
I wonder why you would say this? I use a blower(either gas or electric) all the time. It also allows me to get the heavy water off the car quickly since I wash in the sun out on my driveway. I pull into the garage to finish with a cotton towel. Where would said dust come from? I find with a well waxed car 95% of the water is removed with the blower.

As for car wash - currently using Eagle One Nanowash. I use a sprayer which mixes soap with water and sprays it onto the car so no bucket is needed. Just a fresh cotton towel to go along with the sprayer. I switch wash products all the time(whichever is on special).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I wonder why you would say this? I use a blower(either gas or electric) all the time. It also allows me to get the heavy water off the car quickly since I wash in the sun out on my driveway. I pull into the garage to finish with a cotton towel. Where would said dust come from? I find with a well waxed car 95% of the water is removed with the blower.

As for car wash - currently using Eagle One Nanowash. I use a sprayer which mixes soap with water and sprays it onto the car so no bucket is needed. Just a fresh cotton towel to go along with the sprayer. I switch wash products all the time(whichever is on special).

i just use the air spray nozel off my compressor, its comes with attachments to make the air more focused or more faned out, works great and better than a leafe blower, also great to get in the craks..

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
i just use the air spray nozel off my compressor, its comes with attachments to make the air more focused or more faned out, works great and better than a leafe blower, also great to get in the craks..

Agreed - IF I had an air compressor.... The leaf blower works pretty good for me though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Mix meguires ultimate with adams.
      05-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

PoBoys car wash, two dedicated microfiber drying towels (Guzzlers) and my air-compressor like above...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
For me it is most likely due to not having a driveway. We live near Chicago and our garage opens right into an alley so the car gets washed on the street. There is grass right next to where I wash it so I am most likely stirring up dust from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

A HA! Another reason added to the list for getting a compressor. lol
      05-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I use 2 passes of pre-soak followed by a high powered rinse cycle. If I am feeling adventurous I will go for a 3 foam wax, followed by a spot free rinse and finally a couple dryers, usually for about 35 seconds.

I actually use some "BMW approved" soap my rents got me for my birthday one year. Have no idea what it is, may have to look into some of these other ones because the results I get from this soap really vary. I use 2 buckets as well and dry with 2 microfiber towels.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

i use optimum no rinse wash and shine (1 bucket clean water and 1/2 a bucket of no rinse solution diluted) with a microfiber wash mitt and a microfiber towel to dry. i wash by panel and start from the top (roof) down (hood, trunk, doors, fenders, bumpers, skirts). typically, i would wash my car weekly, but have since picked up a california duster and use that daily to keep the texas dust off since before this month it almost never rained. i too use klasse aio once every 3 months or so and that stuff is absolutely amazing, just so easy to apply and buff off.

going to have my car professionally detailed next weekend though
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I use one of those Mr. Clean hand-held units that mixes Mr. Clean brand car soap with water. The unit allows you to spray water on the car, then switch to a soap spray, and back to a water spray to rinse off after you have washed. Its a dandy unit because you don't have to lug around a heavy bucket (or two) of water. The Mr. Clean soap is getting scarce so I'll have to switch to some other brand of liquid car soap.

I have also been using low-cost wash mitts from Dollarama (a Canadian dollar store) to wash the car. As they only cost $2.00, I use a new mitt each time I wash the car, and then throw it away when I am done. That really minimizes any scratches from repeatedly using the same mitt.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You do have to watch the type of wash soap you use. A lot of the over the counter stuff, especially the ones that have wax in them actually remove the good wax you applied with your PC or hand.

I still have one of those Mr. Clean units but have not used it for years. If I can find one of the de-ionizer filters for it, then I am going to try the foam gun solutions in it. I do like how the DI water runs off the car.

I have a foam gun but I find that it is a pain in the arse to use...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I have a foam gun but I find that it is a pain in the arse to use...
This brings up a side question... are the compressed-air type foamers worth the extra expense vs. the water hose foamers? The compressed air ones seem to do a much better job of coating some sticky, gloppy foam on the car that won't budge. I don't have a compressor or pressure washer yet, so I'd need to pick up one of those too if I decided to go that route? Or is it just as good to get a $50-60 water hose type?

2007 ///M roadster

Last edited by mikeinsf; 05-17-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #21
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I'm a strong advocate of the "buy a cheap mitt and throw it away after each wash" idea.

At $2.00 per mitt, you can easily get loads of mitts for cheap and not have to worry that, after a few uses, your mitt is progressively getting contaminated with grit that will scratch your paint.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #22
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I use the water pressure type foam gun that I bought a AutoGeek.

The reason I don't like to use it is that I find that when I remove the gun using the quick disconnect fitting to rinse, I don't like the way the water comes out. Too strong. So I have to have a second hose to rinse with. Just my pet peeve...

I have never used my pressure washer on any of my cars and only on the underneath of my truck to get mud out after some off roading....
Appreciate 0