ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Steenos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
Upgrading stock speakers

Been checking on Crutchfield for some speakers for the car. My problem is I want to keep the stock head unit. I think aftermarket head units look awful and I just don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

Is it still like the old days where no matter if you buy speakers you have to buy a head unit? I don't mind buying an amp for door speakers/tweeters. Just want to have more sound but keep the stock look.

I've looked into bavsound but I figured I could get more for my money going with JL Audio or something like that.

Thanks
      03-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Lightbulb

I have no experience or feedback on this http://www.bavsound.com but they seem to have a monopoly on speakers that are specifically built for the Z.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
The main problem with BMW speakers is that all of them are non-standard impedance. So...it's almost a guaranteed that you won't be able to get maximum power delivery to an aftermarket speaker with the OE AMP. Bavsound "claims" to match the OE impedance with their replacement speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Steenos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
Anyone done the Bavsound upgrade? Worth it?
      03-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
This is an interesting product from Focal. They don't specifically list the Z4, but based on the shape of the midrange and my previous experience replacing the mids in my car, I'm thinking this would fit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091IFBM...l-IFBMW-S.html
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenos View Post
Anyone done the Bavsound upgrade? Worth it?
I did the upgrade. For the Z4M, it's only the mid and tweet in each door, so a relatively easy project. The sound is better. perhaps not a night and day difference, but noticeably cleaner highs and more punch in the mids. Mids are also less muddy and overall sound is more "chesty".

As mentioned, you need to pay attention to impedance matching with BMW. Even the two available systems in the Z4 are not compatible. Bavsound will ask you which system you have to send the correct ones.

If you want subtle but noticeable improvements to the stock system without investing in a complete replacement system, this is a reasonable upgrade. Not going to blow your socks off, but for me, is what I was looking for.
      03-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
This is an interesting product from Focal. They don't specifically list the Z4, but based on the shape of the midrange and my previous experience replacing the mids in my car, I'm thinking this would fit:

I put a complete Focal system in another car with a JL amp. Holy cow, now that is some amazing sound!

Don't get those from Crutchfield. Go to a local installer/dealer that does Focal. They will be able to make sure you get the right part and it won't cost that much more for the install work...
      03-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Steenos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
I've heard nothing but great things about Focal. I'll search and see if there are any dealers local.
      03-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenos View Post
I've heard nothing but great things about Focal. I'll search and see if there are any dealers local.
Check out this link at Crutchfield for the install of a Focal system in a 2008 335i.

www.crutchfield.com/bmwruss

Looks like it would also work for the Z4M car doors (Focal IFBMW-S component Speaker System) $679.99
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

I would also fo the route of getting the Focal's sourced locally to insure getting the right parts for my car, see link below.

http://focal-america.com/dealer-locator/
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbstewart View Post
I put a complete Focal system in another car with a JL amp. Holy cow, now that is some amazing sound!

Don't get those from Crutchfield. Go to a local installer/dealer that does Focal. They will be able to make sure you get the right part and it won't cost that much more for the install work...
I posted up that Crutchfield link because they do a great job with their product descriptions and pics....... their prices however are usually a little higher than the competition.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-B C63

If the Focals work I'm definitely a buyer. I once put a 10 speaker German MB Quart system in a car and a friend did a similar system, but using Focals in the same model car. His system sounded much better than mine. Are we sure that the impedance of the Focals will work or is it just the garbage Carver "subs" that are the problem with impedance?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #13
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I'll chime in, realize I am biased towards replacing the stock system. If you haven't seen it, here is my build thread on my wife's car.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784148

IMO the best route for the money is rip and replace, you get new technology, and way better sound. New speakers, and an AMP and you will be amazed at the sound.

If you want to preserve the stock head unit then you will need a sound processor to convert the speaker signals into a signal usable by an amp. You mention JL, this is a sample of what they have:

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-oem-interface

You will still have the cost of the new speakers, and new amp, and the signal processor(s) will cost more than a new head unit. You don't get new technology features such as blue tooth streaming, etc...

Upgrading the speakers only would be my last choice, as others have mentioned, you have the issues of impedance matching, and the improvements are marginal for the dollars spent.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssummers View Post
I'll chime in, realize I am biased towards replacing the stock system. If you haven't seen it, here is my build thread on my wife's car.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784148

IMO the best route for the money is rip and replace, you get new technology, and way better sound. New speakers, and an AMP and you will be amazed at the sound.

If you want to preserve the stock head unit then you will need a sound processor to convert the speaker signals into a signal usable by an amp. You mention JL, this is a sample of what they have:

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-oem-interface

You will still have the cost of the new speakers, and new amp, and the signal processor(s) will cost more than a new head unit. You don't get new technology features such as blue tooth streaming, etc...

Upgrading the speakers only would be my last choice, as others have mentioned, you have the issues of impedance matching, and the improvements are marginal for the dollars spent.
Wow, nicely done!! This, of course, is a whole new level. OP needs to establish a budget for his upgrade. This is more in the "unlimited budget" category...

If ~$500, the Bavsound setup is decent and can easily be installed at home.

If ~$800, yes - the Focal setup may sound better, but you are still limited by the remaining OEM hardware.

If $2k-$5k, sky is the limit! get a custom setup that will hopefully sound fantastic, but drown out the exhaust note :-(
      03-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbstewart View Post
Wow, nicely done!! This, of course, is a whole new level. OP needs to establish a budget for his upgrade. This is more in the "unlimited budget" category...

If ~$500, the Bavsound setup is decent and can easily be installed at home.

If ~$800, yes - the Focal setup may sound better, but you are still limited by the remaining OEM hardware.

If $2k-$5k, sky is the limit! get a custom setup that will hopefully sound fantastic, but drown out the exhaust note :-(
Thanks, it also depends heavily on DIY, or have a shop do it. I spent (much) less than $2K on our build, yet the shop quoted $3500 with an MDF box for the sub.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #16
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Strange, I'm more than happy with my oem sound system. Most of the time I want to listen to the engine and exhaust anyway.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan View Post
Strange, I'm more than happy with my oem sound system. Most of the time I want to listen to the engine and exhaust anyway.
The only time I actually listen to the stereo is when I'm on the freeway. All other times, I like to drive with the windows down so that I can listen to the engine and exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #18
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post

I'm having these installed next Wed, along with some other interesting hardwiring. I'll probably post on this thread on the weekend after I've had a chance to do some serious listening. System config will be stock amp/Carver "subs" not disconnected/Focals/powered Bazooka sub. If that doesn't do it then a full speaker swap and new amp will be in order.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #19
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5m3mc View Post
I'm having these installed next Wed, along with some other interesting hardwiring. I'll probably post on this thread on the weekend after I've had a chance to do some serious listening. System config will be stock amp/Carver "subs" not disconnected/Focals/powered Bazooka sub. If that doesn't do it then a full speaker swap and new amp will be in order.
Nice- do keep us updated!!
      04-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep

Well, in the "nothing is easy" department the Focals didn't fit. First, my guys had to fabricate a bracket because the mounting tabs were different, even though they were supposed to be the same according to Focal. Second, there was interference with the window glass, so out they came.

I left the car at the shop. In the morning (I think) they're going to install the following, so I'd be replacing the kicks also. Think of this as Stage 1.

http://focal-america.com/wp-content/...PS165F3_GB.pdf

Stage 2 would entail adding a multi-channel amp for the fronts if the OE amp proves to be a limiting factor. Stage 3 would be using Focal mids and Focal 5" woofers in the rear. We'll see...I'll go stage by stage and see what makes my ears happy. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the OE amp does work out.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #21
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

I'm very curios to see how your project progresses. I'd think the woofers in the rear would be a must. Stock sounds very tubby to me - "one note bass".
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #22
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
I'm very curios to see how your project progresses. I'd think the woofers in the rear would be a must. Stock sounds very tubby to me - "one note bass".
And the bavsound upgrade doesn't really fix that much...