ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Another tuning question for the gurus!

Hey guys,

After a significant amount of research on this forum and others, I am left with a few tuning questions that I have not been able to find concrete answers for. A friend of mine is currently using ECUWorx software to tune his e39 M5, and he told me to check them out as they make e46 M3 tunes, and he knew I was in the market. Upon further review, the software has a lot of custom options that I would love to have on the M coupe, but I am unsure if our newer designed ECU would support them compared to the one in the E46 M3.

The 3 biggest things I would like to have on my car outside of the typical remap, etc. would be the SMG style shift lights (if possible), exhaust overrun/burble, and the removal of the 155 limiter (I believe this is on all mainstream tunes anyways).

I emailed ECUWorks and am awaiting a response to see if they have Z4M compatibility with their software.

If that doesn't work out, I am stuck between the Epic tune and the Evolve tune. I want to be able to have something I can upload and remove myself, rather it be with a PC OBD2 cable, or with proprietary hardware (EvolveR). I also want to be able to have the tune specific to my mods, and the ability to possibly update the tune to coincide with the addition of more mods. (I.E. if I was to tune the car without headers, and put headers on later down the line).

With this information, what do you guys think would be the best course of action for my particular requirements?

Thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

There's no option for the shift lights from any of the aftermarket vendors as it's not supported by our ECU. The overrun/burble is going to be something that comes with some modifications to the exhaust, I found x-pipe increased it significantly with the rest of the stock components but mufflers are going to give you the best result. Other members could speak to just how much the different manufacturers of cans can provide in that section. Otherwise on the tune side it's just something that comes with deceleration and backpressure, not a whole lot a tune could modify there, but I could be wrong.

The limiter is definitely with every tune. For custom work and especially updated tunes down the line, Randy does a real good job taking care of you (epic). Other ones I can't speak to personally but they generally charge a fee for a new profile.

Best of luck
      04-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
There's no option for the shift lights from any of the aftermarket vendors as it's not supported by our ECU. The overrun/burble is going to be something that comes with some modifications to the exhaust, I found x-pipe increased it significantly with the rest of the stock components but mufflers are going to give you the best result. Other members could speak to just how much the different manufacturers of cans can provide in that section. Otherwise on the tune side it's just something that comes with deceleration and backpressure, not a whole lot a tune could modify there, but I could be wrong.

The limiter is definitely with every tune. For custom work and especially updated tunes down the line, Randy does a real good job taking care of you (epic). Other ones I can't speak to personally but they generally charge a fee for a new profile.

Best of luck
I have RPI mufflers now, and I can get some burbles if I feather the throttle on deceleration. I read the burble tunes for the E46 M3 leave the injectors open a bit longer when off throttle to make pops and burbles. I figured that would be relatively easy to implement for a tuner.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

X-pipe/S-pipe/Stromung cans. I get pops and burbles all over the place, it's freeking awesome. So awesome in fact it's scared me away from getting headers and messing with the recipe!!
Appreciate 1
Arsonism158.00
      05-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

NickyC has it right, the x pipe will give you greater returns there. In terms of tapping into the rest of the injectors and whatnot, either TTFS or Epic is probably the best way to go there for custimized tune profiles.
      05-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
X-pipe/S-pipe/Stromung cans. I get pops and burbles all over the place, it's freeking awesome. So awesome in fact it's scared me away from getting headers and messing with the recipe!!
I was worried about that too but the headers just made it better! Deeper and louder, not extreme but solid increase.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
What X-pipe do you suggest? Might look into this soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #8
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
What X-pipe do you suggest? Might look into this soon.
Rogue engineering makes the best "gurgle" for your buck. Loved mine.
      05-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
VindieselJetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4m

Headers and stromung give me pops and burbles. You don't need a tune for that.
Appreciate 0