ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #23
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Ordered all the parts yesterday from besian and the rest from ECS, every little nut, bolt, and gasket, TPS as well. Both will arrive tomorrow, excellent people to deal with. While I'm at it I'm going to do a full coolant system over haul, minus a radiator. Why do the instructions say to use a gasket in a tube for the vanos instead of a new OEM metal gasket? I ordered one of those too just in case.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #24
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Best of luck to those undergoing it solo. Talked to my preferred indy, they are super familiar with the Besian and Dr. Vanos offerings and said neither have proven more robust than OEM parts, with the exception of the machined Dr. Vanos hub bit.

Will be ordering the Besian bits and Dr. Vanos hub when I schedule the service later this year
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #25
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Best of luck to those undergoing it solo. Talked to my preferred indy, they are super familiar with the Besian and Dr. Vanos offerings and said neither have proven more robust than OEM parts, with the exception of the machined Dr. Vanos hub bit.

Will be ordering the Besian bits and Dr. Vanos hub when I schedule the service later this year
Hmm well that's no good. What did they say the issue is? I ordered the rattle kit and the seals.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #26
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Hmm well that's no good. What did they say the issue is? I ordered the rattle kit and the seals.
To clarify, they didn't say the aftermarket bits were inferior - just that they had not proven to be any more reliable than OEM. The shop also said they routinely install both the Dr. Vanos and Besain bits when requested
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:51 PM   #27
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
To clarify, they didn't say the aftermarket bits were inferior - just that they had not proven to be any more reliable than OEM. The shop also said they routinely install both the Dr. Vanos and Besain bits when requested
Fair enough, thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #28
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Yeah, OEM quality is great
      03-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #29
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
You'll notice reference to the broken hub in that thread, wherein the shop recommended the Dr. Vanos bit as a vast improvement over stock. With 16 years of building, servicing and racing s54 engines, I take the shop's word more seriously than a smattering of unfortunate forum experiences.

So far I have only been installing non-OEM bits that have proven themselves to stand the test of time and be a better (or equivalent + cheaper) solution to OEM.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #30
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Right, the dr vanos hub is better than OEM. My point is that it's weird for your shop to say that nothing has been proven to be more reliable than OEM, when the whole reason for these repairs is that the OEM part fails consistently (google 'S54 hub failure' and be amazed). I don't believe there have been any tab failures of the current versions of dr vanos hubs or the beisan pump disks. Get a hub if yours is already broken (it's not, I know), otherwise you can save $700 by getting just the pump disk instead.

Long post by Raj but worth reading
      03-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #31
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Long post by Raj but worth reading

Thanks for the link! Bundling the Vanos refresh with Inspection II - bracing myself for the bill.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #32
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Good grief guys this vanos repair is going just swell lol. Pre facelift models suck to do this repair on. Had to do the three thread removal on the lower passenger side bolt and pry slightly on the engine to finally get the vanos out. Luckily my father is a retired tool/die maker, metallurgy genius has been making me things as I go to help it along. It's all out and actually wasn't bad off, he said the clearance on the exhaust side was failing but intake side was still okay. No rattle kit needed right now so I'll just save that for a later date. Some people say to removal the motor mounts and lower the engine to get it clear but according to my dad it's okay to cut the bolt 3 threads as many others have.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:18 AM   #33
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

This is one point where the ///M is easier. Once everything's unscrewed, Vanos pops right out. No real clearance issue.
I think the non-M is mounted on studs, whereas the ///M is held on by bolts?

Something to note, actually, for ///M owners that aren't doing their own Vanos R+R.
When I first bought my car, it came with the standard broken Vanos/camshaft bolts.
I didn't know anything about the car yet, so I took it to an indie to do the repair.
He said it would take an extra day, and extra cost for replacement coolant, because he had to remove the whole nose of the car, including the radiator, to remove the Vanos.
Judging from the bolts he forgot to do up, I think he did remove the whole nose.
Twice, in fact, because the first time I picked it up the cam timing was so far off it went into limp mode.

So if you take your ///M in for Vanos R+R, and your mechanic says he has to remove the nose or jack up the engine, find another mechanic.

Last edited by StickMon; 03-16-2017 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      03-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #34
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

They pulled my complete nose, but that was for the cam shafts, the easy access for the vanos was an added bonus at the same time. Car runs like a dream..
      03-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #35
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
This is one point where the ///M is easier. Once everything's unscrewed, Vanos pops right out. No real clearance issue.
I think the non-M is mounted on studs, whereas the ///M is held on by bolts?

Something to note, actually, for ///M owners that aren't doing their own Vanos R+R.
When I first bought my car, it came with the standard broken Vanos/camshaft bolts.
I didn't know anything about the car yet, so I took it to an indie to do the repair.
He said it would take an extra day, and extra cost for replacement coolant, because he had to remove the whole nose of the car, including the radiator, to remove the Vanos.
Judging from the bolts he forgot to do up, I think he did remove the whole nose.
Twice, in fact, because the first time I picked it up the cam timing was so far off it went into limp mode.

So if you take your ///M in for Vanos R+R, and your mechanic says he has to remove the nose or jack up the engine, find another mechanic.

Correct, the 2.5 has nuts with studs unlike the M. The bottom left bolt is the only trouble maker as far as that goes. Having 90 degree bent needle nose pliers is also a must to get the seal caps off. Ours weren't quite right so we heated with a torch and re worked them to be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #36
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Hey guys. I've been having some loss of power when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. It's like a second delay like all fuel has been cut. It happens more under hard acceleration than under easy acceleration. I'm also getting more noise from my vanos than in the past. I checked to see if there were any codes, and I have a P1633 code, Throttle Valve Adaptation. I was already thinking it is about time for a coil to go out and that my throttle position sensors are probably due to be replaced.

But, it could be vanos, I suppose. I need to get it upgraded soon regardless. Quick question. If you replace the entire vanos with a rebuilt unit, do you still require all of the special tools, the electronic switch, the air pressure, etc.?

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #37
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Hey guys. I've been having some loss of power when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. It's like a second delay like all fuel has been cut. It happens more under hard acceleration than under easy acceleration. I'm also getting more noise from my vanos than in the past. I checked to see if there were any codes, and I have a P1633 code, Throttle Valve Adaptation. I was already thinking it is about time for a coil to go out and that my throttle position sensors are probably due to be replaced.

But, it could be vanos, I suppose. I need to get it upgraded soon regardless. Quick question. If you replace the entire vanos with a rebuilt unit, do you still require all of the special tools, the electronic switch, the air pressure, etc.?

Salty

Not sure on the M but honestly it was a pretty easy job, I would save the money and just get the seals. I didn't need anything real special to do the job. Mind you this is on the 2.5. No air tools needed if that's what you mean... if you are only doing the seals. Mine wound up not needing the rattle kit and that's the one you need an impact for.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #38
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Not sure on the M but honestly it was a pretty easy job, I would save the money and just get the seals. I didn't need anything real special to do the job. Mind you this is on the 2.5. No air tools needed if that's what you mean... if you are only doing the seals. Mine wound up not needing the rattle kit and that's the one you need an impact for.
Timing needs to locked down on the S54 when removing the VANOS. No lock down is needed for the M54
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 04:07 AM   #39
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

I also did all the Biesan parts, except for the solenoid coil pack, in both my MZ3 and MZ4 S54s.

I had Randy Forbes install all of it, he was doing rod bearings at the same time anyway.

I picked Biesan primarily because of reputation, but also because his online guides were so thorough. And, Raj is very quick and responsive. Great service from both vendors.
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #40
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
I'm finding that when I'm accelerating, around 5k RPM, there's a slight hesitation or "flattening", where it doesn't continue to pull through strongly on my M roadster. I had my buddy drive the car and he noticed it as well, although it's very slight. I sent Besian a message about it and they were unsure, given that I have only 90K km on the car. They said it would be unusual for this to be a VANOs issue, but not impossible. Anyways, so I'm still stumped on this one. Anyone else ever notice this?
I think I've noticed this on my '07 as well. I have 63K miles on it now, but it has done that for quite some time.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #41
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Quick question. If you replace the entire vanos with a rebuilt unit, do you still require all of the special tools, the electronic switch, the air pressure, etc.?
You don't need to worry about timing if you're just replacing the Vanos.
You only have to worry about timing if you take the bolts out of the sprocket hub, which you'll obviously have to do if you're doing a cryo treated or TurboToy hub, or if you're replacing the chain tensioner.
The air adapter and switch box is only useful for extending and retracting the pistons with the Vanos loose. Some say ... that you can move them in and out by removing the caps.

I think the only "special" thing you need for just Vanos R&R is long bolts for the top 2 holes so you can slide it back while still having it supported. M6x60.

Last edited by StickMon; 03-20-2017 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC367.50