ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

1st Time Out at Sebring

Got a chance to run a PDX at Sebring last weekend. Video of best lap and a sessions 2 & 3. I skipped the last session as it was in the high 90s temp wise and 100% humidity most of the day. Car handled it fine but the driver was toast.
Since it was first time out I did a lot of experimenting with different lines. I think I could shave another 3-4 seconds pretty easily next time out. Definitely could carry more speed through turns 1 and 17 now that I been through them a few times. Just have to have confidence she'll hold on despite the undulations in the pavement.
Tips/comments are welcome!

Best lap of the day (Session 2)

Session 2

Session 3
      09-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
sleepyro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

nice stuff! I'm going to sebring for my first time next month, this was a nice little primer for lines lol. hopefully it'll be a bit cooler, it's been real hot lately
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

It was friggin miserable even before the sun came up. Hopefully the new asphalt in Gurney bend will be a bit more worn in for you guys. It was a bit slick still when we were there so you wound up pushing off to the left a bit earlier than would have been best line.
There's two lines through turn 1, either in tight against the wall or 3-4 car widths out to the right. In between there's gulleys and undulations in the pavement that will crack your kidneys.....
Good luck out there!
      09-15-2016, 02:21 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Is it really that bumpy out there or is that just the camera mount?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
It's every bit as bumpy as it looks in the videos. If you watch lap 5 in the full session 2 video which is the same lap as the windshield mount camera, you'll see just as much bounce in the GoPro mounted camera and you can see how much I'm getting bounced around.

The roughness is part of getting accustomed to running there. The car's getting bounced around a lot and in some parts of the track (turns 1 and 17 for example) you've only got intermittent grip.

I can imagine when they run the 12 hour race there that the drivers feel pretty beat up at the end of a 3 hour shift.
      09-17-2016, 12:25 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright
Quote:
It's every bit as bumpy as it looks in the videos. If you watch lap 5 in the full session 2 video which is the same lap as the windshield mount camera, you'll see just as much bounce in the GoPro mounted camera and you can see how much I'm getting bounced around.

The roughness is part of getting accustomed to running there. The car's getting bounced around a lot and in some parts of the track (turns 1 and 17 for example) you've only got intermittent grip.

I can imagine when they run the 12 hour race there that the drivers feel pretty beat up at the end of a 3 hour shift.
That must make for some interesting skills development. On a smooth track after some time with the bumps you'd probably be faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That must make for some interesting skills development. On a smooth track after some time with the bumps you'd probably be faster.
My sphincter muscle was definitely stronger at the end of the day than it was at the beginning......

It was quite a contrast to Daytona which is very smooth by comparison.