ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

A tip on helping pass the visual: don't stick around and watch the tech. They get audited and might think you're an inspector. I always tell them I'm gonna grab a coffee down the street and be back in 30 minutes. They are always done quicker when I do that. And I agree with Finnegan that euro look stock so it's easier to miss.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Just wanted to update this thread with some info I've received after emailing various tuners:

ESS told me their tune will only disable the the post-cat o2 sensors and therefore will not pass CA smog unless you have modified the OEM section 1 or have stock headers.

Active Autowerke told me that if the function test of the MSS70 ecu in our cars is similar to the MSS60 in the E60 M5 and E9x M3, then it's possible to have 6 of the 7 monitors showing ready. I'm not sure if this will allow you to pass in CA, but I'm not optimistic. Maybe someone can chime in here?

I'll update as I hear back from Evolve and Epic.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
Just wanted to update this thread with some info I've received after emailing various tuners:

ESS told me their tune will only disable the the post-cat o2 sensors and therefore will not pass CA smog unless you have modified the OEM section 1 or have stock headers.

Active Autowerke told me that if the function test of the MSS70 ecu in our cars is similar to the MSS60 in the E60 M5 and E9x M3, then it's possible to have 6 of the 7 monitors showing ready. I'm not sure if this will allow you to pass in CA, but I'm not optimistic. Maybe someone can chime in here?

I'll update as I hear back from Evolve and Epic.
From what I've heard, you can have ONE showing Not Ready but it cannot be one related to the cat. I think that's instant fail. It sounds to me like the ESS and AA tune are doing essentially the same thing. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in but I agree with your "not optimistic" assessment.

You also might have another section 1 option. The DKF section 1 GB is finishing up. You may find someone willing to sell theirs. So you got Euro Section 1, Modified US Section 1 or DKF Section 1 as options.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
From what I've heard, you can have ONE showing Not Ready but it cannot be one related to the cat. I think that's instant fail. It sounds to me like the ESS and AA tune are doing essentially the same thing. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in but I agree with your "not optimistic" assessment.

You also might have another section 1 option. The DKF section 1 GB is finishing up. You may find someone willing to sell theirs. So you got Euro Section 1, Modified US Section 1 or DKF Section 1 as options.
I'll email AA back for further detail on which of the readiness monitors shows up as "Not Ready."

Based on the responses, AA seem to be a bit more aware of this issue. They told me showing readiness is a non-issue on the MSS54, but our cars are more tricky. ESS refused to address the possibility of it since it was a federal crime

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

The Evolve tune claims to pass Readiness, but after working with them for a long time and trying 5 different tune files I could not get it to work. This was with Evolve tune + Fabspeed Headers, and no relocate.

Our ECU is much harder to fool. If you want to pass Readiness then do the relocate to section 1, or swap your stock headers in just before smog time. Those are the only 2 options.

For the record, when I was running Fabspeed Headers + OEM section 1 relocate, and no tune (stock ECU), I was able to pass all Readiness sensors.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #28
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
The Evolve tune claims to pass Readiness, but after working with them for a long time and trying 5 different tune files I could not get it to work. This was with Evolve tune + Fabspeed Headers, and no relocate.

Our ECU is much harder to fool. If you want to pass Readiness then do the relocate to section 1, or swap your stock headers in just before smog time. Those are the only 2 options.

For the record, when I was running Fabspeed Headers + OEM section 1 relocate, and no tune (stock ECU), I was able to pass all Readiness sensors.
Seems that the DKF section one with Fabspeed with no tune should pass as well, true?
      10-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #29
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbstewart View Post
Seems that the DKF section one with Fabspeed with no tune should pass as well, true?
DKF is solving the relocate issue, since it has all the right bungs. So as far as Readiness is concerned I think it would pass.

Will DKF + Fabspeed, pass the sniffer? Don't know, no one has this setup yet, DKF only just started shipping their product. The cats are 300 cell vs the OEM section1 200 cell, but they are also metallic vs the OEM ceramic (so that's another variable).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
DKF is solving the relocate issue, since it has all the right bungs. So as far as Readiness is concerned I think it would pass.

Will DKF + Fabspeed, pass the sniffer? Don't know, no one has this setup yet, DKF only just started shipping their product. The cats are 300 cell vs the OEM section1 200 cell, but they are also metallic vs the OEM ceramic (so that's another variable).
Sounds like I'm going to have to give it a try ;-)
      10-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I doubt DKF will pass visual unless it is CARB certified. Got smog for another car recently. They do look under the car to check if cat exists.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #32
Str8 RippiN
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
I doubt DKF will pass visual unless it is CARB certified. Got smog for another car recently. They do look under the car to check if cat exists.
The only emissions systems that are "CARB certified" are the OE CATS/manifold that came on the car. Everything else runs a risk of not passing. While the Euros offer slightly more assurance during the visual they can still be flagged as well. The best is to have a set up that passes smog and then make some friends at a STAR Smog shop

California Logic= Driver changes cats to higher cell and car passes smog better than with OE equipment= still illegal because not OE equipment

"The Zillenium Falcon" mod journal - http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=440670
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
That is why you need to find/know a guy that know that guy who knows a special shop where they dont look under the hood/car
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #34
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

I'll just say that visual should be the easiest of the three components to deal with, and leave it at that

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #35
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Living in Cali, I would only do euro/csl headers and euro cats. I'm too tire of having to change stuff up to pass smog. Everything looks unchanged and is a breeze to pass.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #36
MPerdomo
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

Hi, just trying to get this account verified!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #37
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Marinb, did you leave the EGT sensor in the Fabspeed headers or did you relocate it to section 1 as well?

I might as well start getting comfortable with having the bungs welded in.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #38
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If you are running a US ECU, in my option, it's better to leave the EGT in the headers because that's where the ECU expects it to be. Another reason to leave it in the headers is that sourcing an EGT bung to weld to your section 1 is a real pain, and the EGT wiring is really short so if you leave it in the headers you don't need to extend anything.

Some people have said that with the EGT relocated to section 1 that they occasionally get a plausibility warning... try searching for this. I also remember a one off thread a long time back where someone tried both locations and had a power loss (?) when it was relocated to section 1... I don't remember the end result of this thread, and like I said it was a one off thread.

There are a few people that have reflashed their ECU to a Euro ECU, in this case it would probably be better to relocate the EGT to section 1.

In short, if you have the option, then I'd say leave the EGT in the headers. But sometimes there is no option, like if you are running Euro headers, so in that case you might as well just relocate it to section 1.

Last edited by marinb; 10-14-2013 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock
Living in Cali, I would only do euro/csl headers and euro cats. I'm too tire of having to change stuff up to pass smog. Everything looks unchanged and is a breeze to pass.
Exact thought when doing headers mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #40
nesrevival
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC 07'

I passed. thank you
-----------------------------------------------------------
Gone: 2007 Supercharged ESS VT-525 Z4MC
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Just want to update this thread. I passed smog with flying colors today with Euro header and cat and Evolve tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #42
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Just want to update this thread. I passed smog with flying colors today with Euro header and cat and Evolve tune.

Nice! Thanks for the update!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #43
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Much appreciated. Thanks for updating us.
      12-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #44
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Cali smog regs are a pain in the ass. That's all I will say
Appreciate 0