ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #23
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
I hear you. An L33 with a single turbo would do the trick nicely and be relatively inexpensive. The shop was also terrified of the wiring. I am still searching for a shop to do it for me. What will you do for the electronics?

PS. I will post in this thread going forward. Saw you started this after posting in the other one. This thread is pure greatness.
I guess I should have mentioned the wiring part as well. That has the potential to be tricky. I removed the entire BMW engine harness and computer, and will be using the GM ECU and harness for the LS7. I have been working with people over on Bimmerforums to create a solution where the GM ECU gets converted and fed onto the BMW CANBus and drive the factory gauges.

Link to thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...to-Can-signals

I don't KNOW how close the E46 and E90 are in their CANBus system, but I would THINK they are similar enough that these guys would be able to help you sort something out.

I have a basic iron block LM7 (what I'm using as my mockup right now) that I plan to keep and rebuild. For my wife's 325i, the extra 100lbs of iron block doesn't bother me and for $1000 parts and labor I can have a brand new motor that will take butt loads of PSI if I want it. I think a 750rwhp 325i (that still gets 35-40mpg) would be a pretty nice "wife's car"....

Last edited by v8z4; 01-29-2014 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #24
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8z4 View Post
I guess I should have mentioned the wiring part as well. That has the potential to be tricky. I removed the entire BMW engine harness and computer, and will be using the GM ECU and harness for the LS7. I have been working with people over on Bimmerforums to create a solution where the GM ECU gets converted and fed onto the BMW CANBus and drive the factory gauges.

Link to thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...to-Can-signals

I don't KNOW how close the E46 and E90 are in their CANBus system, but I would THINK they are similar enough that these guys would be able to help you sort something out.

I have a basic iron block LM7 (what I'm using as my mockup right now) that I plan to keep and rebuild. For my wife's 325i, the extra 100lbs of iron block doesn't bother me and for $1000 parts and labor I can have a brand new motor that will take butt loads of PSI if I want it. I think a 750rwhp 325i (that still gets 35-40mpg) would be a pretty nice "wife's car"....

Thanks. I need to read more on the wiring and electronics for sure. Not sure if you have seen this thread on LS1tech, but a guy with an E46 used both ecu's in tandem and just made the BMW dme think the car was running.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...l#post17480764

You should definitely start a thread on ls1tech for your build in the hybrid section. I have seen Z3s before with LS engines but never a z4.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #25
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Thanks. I need to read more on the wiring and electronics for sure. Not sure if you have seen this thread on LS1tech, but a guy with an E46 used both ecu's in tandem and just made the BMW dme think the car was running.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...l#post17480764

You should definitely start a thread on ls1tech for your build in the hybrid section. I have seen Z3s before with LS engines but never a z4.
If you mean the guy in Britain, yeah I went through his build writeup a while back. He did a really good job. I just don't know how he was able to make the ECU not throw codes all over the place. Without the BMW TB, sensors, etc. working the BMW ECU is going to throw massive SES codes and that would kill my ability to get through emissions. I called around to tuners here in the US and none of them had a solution where they could make the BMW ECU not go crazy, so it was decided that the best approach was to ditch the BMW ECU all together. Additionally, no BMW ECU means less to deal with (simplified wiring and locating of stuff).

Lots of Z3s, but for the most part Z4s are still too expensive. I just lucked into my Z4 cheap enough.
      02-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #26
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

A new member in the e90post forum posted from Australia that he installed an LS into his e90 with minor fitting, both ecu's in tandem and everything but the speedo worked. I hope he reveals more. His name is gassdman.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #27
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

I wonder why the speedo didn't work. In the E46s, the speedo is directly driven by the right rear (could be rear left...I think it's right) wheel sensor. So unless he removed the wheel sensors, I would expect the speedo to work.
      02-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #28
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

I am quite certain the E90 is the exact same. Not sure which wheel though. I thought it would have been doable. He made one post though and I have a feeling it is going to be one of those one post and disappear situations.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #29
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

I hate it when that happens. While somewhat understandable (I say I'm going to post and then get busy), it results in a lot of good information no getting circulated. I also hate it when people post pictures from their photobucket and then remove them. 5 years later someone tries to follow the DIY thread but does not have any pictures to go by.
      02-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #30
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8z4 View Post
I hate it when that happens. While somewhat understandable (I say I'm going to post and then get busy), it results in a lot of good information no getting circulated. I also hate it when people post pictures from their photobucket and then remove them. 5 years later someone tries to follow the DIY thread but does not have any pictures to go by.
I'm with you and I think so far I have been right. The guy hasn't posted since that one post.....
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #31
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

The motor is mounted (Motor plates are in, welded, and I have test fit all of the accessories). I have started laying out the wiring to make the wiring harness, but don't want to spend $500 on injectors yet so I'm focusing on building rather than buying right now. I'm currently in the process of building tubular front lower controls arms (driver's side is done, need to build the passenger's) so I can get the 1-7/8" headers finished. Progress has been slowed, but I will perverse! lol

Front plate:

Mid plate:

Overall:

Front control arm bushing replacement (3/4" rod end threaded into milled steel block):

Porsche 996 calipers, CSL rotors, and tubular control arm:

Front tubular control arm:
      12-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #32
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

subbing for pure awesomeness.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #33
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

The 427 roadster project still exist, I've just been both incredibly busy (moving, school, and family), as well as having had to divert Z4 money to house projects and 325ci buildup.

With regards to the 325ci buildup, I purchased the car a year ago knowing it needed a lot of work (it drove well but was worn out... lack of care by the previous owner). The entire suspension has been gone through now and it now drives and handles amazingly. Then about 6 months ago my wife and I decided we needed to replace our old Tahoe (need an SUV to transport the family) but it wasn't worth much on the blue book. I was able to swing a deal to have my engine builder, he built me an iron block 5.7 with a turbocharger as an even swap for the Tahoe (value of the engine far exceeds the blue book value of the Tahoe). So now the 325ci has moved up to the immediate swap candidate (since it's my daily) and is getting all of the attention/prep work.

Once I'm finished with the 325ci swap and things settle down, I'll return to the roadster project. With the 325ci swapped the Z4 can now be 100% weekend/fun times car. Without the need to consider what's "reasonable" for daily driver duty, I'm free to let my desires run wild!
      12-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #34
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8z4
The 427 roadster project still exist, I've just been both incredibly busy (moving, school, and family), as well as having had to divert Z4 money to house projects and 325ci buildup.

With regards to the 325ci buildup, I purchased the car a year ago knowing it needed a lot of work (it drove well but was worn out... lack of care by the previous owner). The entire suspension has been gone through now and it now drives and handles amazingly. Then about 6 months ago my wife and I decided we needed to replace our old Tahoe (need an SUV to transport the family) but it wasn't worth much on the blue book. I was able to swing a deal to have my engine builder, he built me an iron block 5.7 with a turbocharger as an even swap for the Tahoe (value of the engine far exceeds the blue book value of the Tahoe). So now the 325ci has moved up to the immediate swap candidate (since it's my daily) and is getting all of the attention/prep work.

Once I'm finished with the 325ci swap and things settle down, I'll return to the roadster project. With the 325ci swapped the Z4 can now be 100% weekend/fun times car. Without the need to consider what's "reasonable" for daily driver duty, I'm free to let my desires run wild!
Nice to see this is still a work in progress.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 03:28 AM   #35
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Magic... one question though, probably stupid, but hey..

your engine mounts, look great as does the support alu brackets.. but. are they in direct connection with the frame? any rubber there in-between them? how will this support all the torque coming from the engine, won't this transfer all of that directly to the frame?

once more mate, please pardon my ignorance.

looks bloody awesome though