ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
M Seat assembly

While detailing my interior, yesterday, I noticed that where the leather tucks around the seat bolster and tucks into the back had pulled loose. It feels like the edge has some type of plastic or metal edge. I just pushed it back in, and I thought that would be the end of it, but after driving, today, I noticed it had come loose again.

Has anyone taken an M seat apart? Any suggestions on getting the leather to stay tucked into the groove on the back side of the seat? Any pics of an M seat disassembled?

Thanks!

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Are you talking about the bottom base section or the back section, Salty? My bottom frequently comes loose and I have to stretch it down and hook the plastic lip back in place. I replaced my seatbacks a few years ago as the original owner scuffed up the velour badly. There is a plastic ridge as you know that tucks in to the back section. This was a bitch to get back into place, as the fit is very tight. In my case it was good old fashioned elbow grease :-) Knock on wood, it hasn't come loose since the swap over.

John
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Are you talking about the bottom base section or the back section, Salty? My bottom frequently comes loose and I have to stretch it down and hook the plastic lip back in place. I replaced my seatbacks a few years ago as the original owner scuffed up the velour badly. There is a plastic ridge as you know that tucks in to the back section. This was a bitch to get back into place, as the fit is very tight. In my case it was good old fashioned elbow grease :-) Knock on wood, it hasn't come loose since the swap over.

John
Thanks, John. I'm talking about the back. The leather has never come completely loose, but like you suggest, it's evidently come out of the groove in the back. I'll try pushing it back into the groove with a nylon trim tool. Maybe I just didn't get it seated firmly enough.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:28 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Yep, mine was like that too, but worse, I ended up taking the chair base apart and put extra webbing under neath to stop it happening again, its been perfect ever since.

If you do decide to take a closer look and take the seat outa the car, remember to disco the battery first for a bit..

In my case that plastic strip was a tad bit serviceable.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Yep, mine was like that too, but worse, I ended up taking the chair base apart and put extra webbing under neath to stop it happening again, its been perfect ever since.

If you do decide to take a closer look and take the seat outa the car, remember to disco the battery first for a bit..

In my case that plastic strip was a tad bit serviceable.
Thanks, Vanne. Yep, when I first got the car, it had a leak from the firewall area under the cowl. I had my driver's seat out a number of times to pull up the carpet while hunting down that leak. Between that, replacing a scratched door pull, installing LED interior lights, and then the latest Intravee II install that required yanking out everything behind the seats, I feel like I should have earned a certificate for interior disassembly.

So far, my seat area is holding tight. It's really the side bolster area. I'm going to push it in tightly into that groove. I probably didn't give it enough elbow grease, but wasn't sure I should, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Salty
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

FWIW... The other area that breaks down on the M seats are the bolsters themselves.

There is a blade that forms the bolster which inserts into foam rubber.
Over time the blade cuts into the foam and the bolster looses its shape.

I discovered this when I had my seats recovered in alcantara.
My upholstery guy added some webbing support into the foam so that the support blade wouldn't cut into it.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
FWIW... The other area that breaks down on the M seats are the bolsters themselves.

There is a blade that forms the bolster which inserts into foam rubber.
Over time the blade cuts into the foam and the bolster looses its shape.

I discovered this when I had my seats recovered in alcantara.
My upholstery guy added some webbing support into the foam so that the support blade wouldn't cut into it.
Sounds like a good idea to try and avoid putting weight on the bolster when getting into and out of the car, as much as that is practical - or not.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

I have some similar problems with my driver seat, but I've never been able to find any decent documentation on taking the seat apart, and I haven't been able to tolerate the car being unavailable for a week or two for me to pull the seat and go exploring.

If anyone has any data on disassembling the seat please post it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #9
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I might have some old photos I took when I had the base apart..lemme looksee
Appreciate 0