ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4

yellow oil indicator.

So i am getting a yellow oil light indicator ONL when I stop the car after driving. It doesn't come on while driving. Light stays on after I shut the car off for some time as well

I just did an oil change like 2 months ago. I dont see any visible oil leakage in the engine bay or on the ground below the car.

Can it just be burning through that much oil so quickly? Maybe the oil sensor is starting to go bad?

03 3.0 with 75k miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
GeorgeT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 750i; 2003 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
Can it just be burning through that much oil so quickly? Maybe the oil sensor is starting to go bad?

03 3.0 with 75k miles.
Yes to both questions. If you have a dipstick, check the oil that way to verify correct oil level otherwise have a shop investigate. A bad sensor should be replaced and a motor that burns more than a quart of oil every 2000-3000 mi. or so has some issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Forgot to add, ive seen the light twice, both times in my drive way which is a slght incline. Oil level on incline is between the two marks. I just moved the car to a flat spot out front and will test it again.

It looks like it should have enough oil to not trigger that light but Ireally to not know

EDIT
Even on level ground the oil level was mid way between the two marks. I topped it up just to be safe.

Just odd that from Nov to april it never did that nor did it seem to burn oil. Change oil at beginning of april and now it burns it it 2 months?

Guess I can take it in, been meaning to anyway to see what they'll say about my transmission being a PITA tog et into 2nd and 3rd.

It just weird that the only times the light has come is when I've parked the car in my driveway after coming home from somewhere. At no other time has it come on and it has only done so twice (once just now and once on sunday)

Last edited by bigbacon; 06-02-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
mickfo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I had to have 1.5 quarts filled after the first 2500 miles of driving my new to me 07 z4mc. I had the same indication as the IP and no visible leaks. I know I was driving the car pretty hard as I was getting used to it, so I just figure it was not too abnormal (I read sly of posts by people who have experienced the same too).

Man, i'm away in a business trip right now (been away since may 18) and am missing it big time. Can't wait to get back in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Forgot to add, ive seen the light twice, both times in my drive way which is a slght incline. Oil level on incline is between the two marks. I just moved the car to a flat spot out front and will test it again.

It looks like it should have enough oil to not trigger that light but Ireally to not know

EDIT
Even on level ground the oil level was mid way between the two marks. I topped it up just to be safe.

Just odd that from Nov to april it never did that nor did it seem to burn oil. Change oil at beginning of april and now it burns it it 2 months?

Guess I can take it in, been meaning to anyway to see what they'll say about my transmission being a PITA tog et into 2nd and 3rd.

It just weird that the only times the light has come is when I've parked the car in my driveway after coming home from somewhere. At no other time has it come on and it has only done so twice (once just now and once on sunday)
If the car has suddenly started to burn oil, then the issue may be a failing oil separator for the M52 & M54 series of engines:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=11&fg=15
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
So i am getting a yellow oil light indicator ONL when I stop the car after driving. It doesn't come on while driving. Light stays on after I shut the car off for some time as well

I just did an oil change like 2 months ago. I dont see any visible oil leakage in the engine bay or on the ground below the car.

03 3.0 with 75k miles.
There are different things along with maybe some for you.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

can you live with a bad sensor as long as you actually check the oil level or does it serve some other function that could cause problems?

I suspect that sensor isn't covered under any warranty (factory or extended) and I suspect they charge you an arm and a leg to replace it at the stealership.

I know people dislike this but can the sensor be cleaned with some seafoam and and a good oil change?

EDIT:
is the sensor able to be changed from under the car? thats what it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Z4WAM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 silver Z4 3.0 radster

I had the same problem. it was the sensor and it was covered under warranty.
      06-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Factory or an extended one? Ihave an extended one still but with a 250 deductible. If it is something Ican do myself for cheaper i will do it just not right now which is why Iwondered if it can be driven without hurting anything if it is getting gunked up.
Appreciate 0