ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
z4m
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

popping noise

Hi all,

not sure if this is a right section to post the issue i have. My car making popping noise when rolling on straight even road and over bump. I have jacked it up and spin the wheels, inspected underneat the car and find no lose nuts. Rev the engine and there is no noise. I've tried to test the supension by pushing the front up and down but didn't hear anything. When park i turn the wheel to left and right hear a bit of clicking noise but doesn't sound like the same noise. This seem to come from under the engine compartment and mostly on the passenger side. Anyone have this issue before? any advice would be great. Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
1st_Knight
'Entwicklung 85 - Zukunft4'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 SMG DINAN S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4m View Post
Hi all,

not sure if this is a right section to post the issue i have. My car making popping noise when rolling on straight even road and over bump. I have jacked it up and spin the wheels, inspected underneat the car and find no lose nuts. Rev the engine and there is no noise. I've tried to test the supension by pushing the front up and down but didn't hear anything. When park i turn the wheel to left and right hear a bit of clicking noise but doesn't sound like the same noise. This seem to come from under the engine compartment and mostly on the passenger side. Anyone have this issue before? any advice would be great. Thx

Check the stock OEM diagonal strut bars, see if they are loose...If they are tighten them, and the popping sound should be gone..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
z4m
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

This is really weird....i put the original rims and tires (front only) back on and drove it a few miles just to see if the noise still there....it was still there when i did a test drive but now with rims and tires i had on before...the noise is gone. Can't explain this.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Check your top hat bolts under the dust caps in the engine bay. When I installed my Tein springs I didn't have it tightened down enough and it made noises over bumps. I used a deep socket and an allen wrench. Hold the deep socket with a pipe wrench and insert the allen wrench through the middle of the socket (with no socket wrench of course). You can then tighten the nut below. That may be your problem but I dont know if its making the same rattling noise as my car before.
Appreciate 0