ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
clausiam
Rep
Drives: None yet

First driving impressions

So, yesterday I went from GA to VA to get our new (to us) Z4. Nothing like a 605 mile first drive to check out a new car!

Impressions and other random observations:
  • Engine - wow, just wow, I can see why this is a driver's car and not a poser. The 255 hp is not much compared to many other cars, but phew does it know how to use those horses. I ride sportbikes as well and this car has the same grin-inducing acceleration when you want it to.
  • Seats - (Sports package)These seats are very comfortable. Just cushioned enough to support your butt for long hours while still being sporty. And the extra support on the sides is great. The adjustability is a little weird though - I couldn't quite figure out what the seat-back adjuster actually did, wasn't just tilting the seat.
  • Tall driver - I believe with my 6'2.5" that is about the max to be comfortable in this car. I drove for 10 hours yesterday. I pretty much have the seat as far back as it goes in order for my right knee not to hit the corner below the radio. Also with the top down my head is high enough to catch the turbulences thrown off by the front windshield. If I ducked down about 2 inches it felt much quieter. Still drove 3 hours with the top down, so not a major issue.
  • Steering/driving straight - so, this is the only negative thing I found. I had read about this in reviews but didn't know what to expect. The car seems very sensitive to minor road conditions as changing camber, a small groove etc and will jerk the steering wheel and move side-to-side quite a bit. This may be how all cars with this tire-profile works but definitely means that even going straight you have to be alert to what the steering wheel does if the road is in less than perfect condition. Hopefully I'll get used to this.
  • Wind noise - with the top closed there was more wind noise than expected from where the back part of the driver's window meets the foam on the soft-top. Just didn't get a great seal. Not a problem at <80 mph, but significant above that. Don't consider this an issue - if I wanted quiet I would have gotten a Lexus sedan - but a little surprising.
  • Fun factor - through the roof (when it's up ).
  • Making other drivers feel 'threatened'? - Driving at my normal highway cruising speed of ~80mph a lot of the people I passed (pickups, Chevy Cruze's, etc) all felt like they had to come out and ride my tail to prove something. I cruise at 80mph in my Jetta TDI all the time and that never happens. I guess the sporty appearance makes people want to 'challenge you' more - funny!

Other than that the only issue I had was that entering North Carolina with my trusty Valentine 1 hooked up I decided to add a bit of speed to see how it would cruise at higher speeds. Well, a radar-detector doesn't work when you blast past an undercover police car. The friendly trooper asked me if there was any particular reason I was (quote) "traveling in excess of 100 mph". I told him there probably wasn't any reason he would accept as a good explanation (and I decided not to tell him it was lucky I had just slowed down). Anyway, he was pretty cool and just wrote a ticket for "exceeding the 65 mph posted limit" and I don't have to go in court for it (nice, since this was 7+ hours away from home). But 1 day = 1 ticket, not so good!

See you guys around!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Jony722si
The Wrapgician
Canada
Rep
Drives: z4si

Garage List
2006 BMW z4  [0.00]
2009 Bmw 135I  [0.00]
2022 BMW M4C  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I don't feel you about the seats review... The M sport seat is killing me by an hour long drive... Hope the seats came with lumbar support
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiam View Post
[*]Steering/driving straight - so, this is the only negative thing I found. I had read about this in reviews but didn't know what to expect. The car seems very sensitive to minor road conditions as changing camber, a small groove etc and will jerk the steering wheel and move side-to-side quite a bit. This may be how all cars with this tire-profile works but definitely means that even going straight you have to be alert to what the steering wheel does if the road is in less than perfect condition. Hopefully I'll get used to this.
when i had my 3.0si... the first thing i did after turning the car on was to hit the "sport" button. the stiffer steering program makes all the difference in the world, as far as tramlining and crowning are concerned. i'd go so far as to say it almost feels like hydraulic steering. using that button does require a bit of finesse on the throttle though, as it changes programs for sensitivity as well as steering.

glad you're here!
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony722si View Post
I don't feel you about the seats review... The M sport seat is killing me by an hour long drive... Hope the seats came with lumbar support
Actually I found the seats on my 335 would start giving a back ache after a while, much more so than the seats on the Z4. Dunno whats up with that.

OP congrats on the new car!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Congrats on the car.. Have any pics yet? As far as the steering goes, I too noticed this to be an issue with my wife's 3.0i.. Ditching the run-flats and getting a mobility kit will probably help a good bit.. (if it still has RF tires). As you tinker with the seats more, you will probably find more room.. Telescoping steering wheel will help too.. I had similar wind noise on the passenger side.. The strip of rubber on the top was slightly out of place.. Messed with it a bit and now it is fine.. This weekend I will snap some photos of what I am talking about.. Congrats on the SI!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHeavNC View Post
Congrats on the car.. Have any pics yet? As far as the steering goes, I too noticed this to be an issue with my wife's 3.0i.. Ditching the run-flats and getting a mobility kit will probably help a good bit.. (if it still has RF tires). As you tinker with the seats more, you will probably find more room.. Telescoping steering wheel will help too.. I had similar wind noise on the passenger side.. The strip of rubber on the top was slightly out of place.. Messed with it a bit and now it is fine.. This weekend I will snap some photos of what I am talking about.. Congrats on the SI!!
+1 on the runflats. My guess is that this is the primary cause of the twitchy handling. I had the 3.0si and getting rid of the runflats made it a completely different car.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
damikmak
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

the car following every groove in the road in caused by the horrible runflat tires. Change them to regular tires and the ride will be amazing......congrats on the new purchase!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
Newff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si

Before reading the other comments I also was going to say that runflats are the problem, guessing that's what you have on the car. As I mentioned a few times here when my father picked up my car for me when it arrived he hated the ride/steering and he actually felt unsafe driving over 80km/hr because the car would pull him back and forth in road grooves so much. As soon as I got home I put on some Hankook V12's and now he absolutely loves the ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

There was a gap in this section that was catching some wind while driving with the top up.. I was able to make it flush as you currently see in the pics.. No more excessive wind noise.. My issue was on the passenger side of my wife's 3.0i..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

"•Making other drivers feel 'threatened'? - Driving at my normal highway cruising speed of ~80mph a lot of the people I passed (pickups, Chevy Cruze's, etc) all felt like they had to come out and ride my tail to prove something. I cruise at 80mph in my Jetta TDI all the time and that never happens. I guess the sporty appearance makes people want to 'challenge you' more - funny!"

This is one of the difficult parts of owning a car like this. For some reason or another, a lot of people feel obligated to mess with you. At first, it is hard to understand. Then it becomes more annoying when you see that many seem to have this sort of aggression. Stay patient, keep your cool. You have a great ride.
      05-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

My car has the "testosterone" affect on Mustangs more than any other car.
My favorite was the SS Tahoe/Yukon.

I just piss them off by driving normal…not a high school punk anymore :-)

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newff View Post
Before reading the other comments I also was going to say that runflats are the problem, guessing that's what you have on the car. As I mentioned a few times here when my father picked up my car for me when it arrived he hated the ride/steering and he actually felt unsafe driving over 80km/hr because the car would pull him back and forth in road grooves so much. As soon as I got home I put on some Hankook V12's and now he absolutely loves the ride.
I think your Dad passed me the other day doing around 110 mph.

Kidding!!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Newff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I think your Dad passed me the other day doing around 110 mph.

Kidding!!!!
I actually believed you for a second. It wouldn't surprise me lol
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
DBE
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I test drove two z4mc's this week as a potential replacement for my company car
The 1st one had a hesitation in the engine low down and seemed a little down on power
The second was a bit rough around the edges but hauled arse like I couldn't believe! Smile from ear to ear!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Deep Z4
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

I had the same steering issues until I ditched the run flats - replaced with a new tire package.

I put M6 replica rims on in 18" 245/40/18.

I used to tramline all over the place before, with the new package, never.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

As a contrast to First Driving Impressions, here is a little story. Yesterday midday, my wife and I drove the Z4 to a local electronics store to get the latest Skylander character for our son. While talking to the sales clerk, his partner walked in and exclaimed to me

"Man! You are driving my FAVORITE car!!!"

It's fun now, but if you're like me, it never gets old.

Enjoy!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0