ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Dinan springs install - Northern VA

My local shop quoted me 5 hours to do the spring install.

I'm wondering if there's anyone in the area that would want to help me do the install for some cash or has a shop thats willing to do it for cheap.

Also, if you know of a really good how-to article, I'll give it a DIY shot.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
My local shop quoted me 5 hours to do the spring install.

I'm wondering if there's anyone in the area that would want to help me do the install for some cash or has a shop thats willing to do it for cheap.

Also, if you know of a really good how-to article, I'll give it a DIY shot.
Depends on their rate per hour. 5 hours is just about right, if your'e a first timer without the proper tools; and that's how shops judge their hours. They could charge the time that it actually takes to do the job, but then they'd be missing out on the recognition that it'd take you much longer.

I've got all the equipment and experience you need, but no place to do it.

You need spring compressors, metric socket set with a 20mm and 22mm socket, an impact wrench and some WD-40. While you're in there, you might as well put in matching dampeners (shock absorbers).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Z3Z4MC
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

DIY:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247840

Not a DIY job if you don't have the right tools and don't know what you're doing.
+1 on the 5 hours labor...very reasonable.

Please don't listen to these BS post about "I did mine in 2 hours while drinking beer".
If you believe that, then you will be in for a big surprise.
      02-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Depends on their rate per hour. 5 hours is just about right, if your'e a first timer without the proper tools; and that's how shops judge their hours. They could charge the time that it actually takes to do the job, but then they'd be missing out on the recognition that it'd take you much longer.

I've got all the equipment and experience you need, but no place to do it.

You need spring compressors, metric socket set with a 20mm and 22mm socket, an impact wrench and some WD-40. While you're in there, you might as well put in matching dampeners (shock absorbers).
I've got the socket set and a 2 car garage in Loudoun with jack and jack stands but nothin else. The Dinan springs were meant to work with the stock struts and shocks so I don't plan on replacing those, at least for a while. So, you wanna help out?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

How are the Dinan springs different / better?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
How are the Dinan springs different / better?
http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=389&page=1

"Performance Spring Set
Performance tuned springs have been designed to work in harmony with the stock struts and shocks, providing superior handling through increased grip and reduction of body roll, while maintaining a nicely dampened ride. The 1/2" lower ride height gives the cars a tastefully enhanced performance look as well as improving suspension geometry, reducing understeer. "
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've got the socket set and a 2 car garage in Loudoun with jack and jack stands but nothin else. The Dinan springs were meant to work with the stock struts and shocks so I don't plan on replacing those, at least for a while. So, you wanna help out?
PMed.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
5 hours seems like a long time for just a spring install.

The shop I used to work at would typically quote 2-3 hours for that. And Chris (crfine88) and I did my springs in his garage in about 3 hours.
      02-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Z3Z4MC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
5 hours seems like a long time for just a spring install.

The shop I used to work at would typically quote 2-3 hours for that. And Chris (crfine88) and I did my springs in his garage in about 3 hours.
Just because a shop quote 2-3 hours, doesn't mean it will take them 2-3 hours. With the economy, many shops will under quote just to get the work.

Well if it takes one person 5 hours to do the install, then two person in 2-3 hours seems reasonable.

We are a forum to help each other. I just get really tired of BS and misleading thread about ridiculous claim about labor time just to boost one's ego.

I'm not attacking you nmulax in anyway shape or form. I just think as a group, everyone should try to help each other out with realistic information, and not post these "I can do this in 1 hour" claim, for something that will take 4-5 hours.

I would hate to tackle on a springs install on my Z4MC assuming that it will take me 2 hours in my driveway with simple hand tools, only to find out that is not the case.

End rant. Please continue.
      02-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

I'm going over to DarkStar's this saturday. We'll keep time
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Ok, I should have said "the shop I used to work at would quote, and charge for 2-3 hours". Spring install on the Z4 isn't that difficult, especially for a qualified shop. I just think with a quote of 5 hours (at a typical shop rate of $95-110/hour), he's overpaying.

But I guess it's also different from on geographical area to the next; ie. Cali with it's competitive performance shop market, and experience with German cars would probably be cheaper then a place in middle-America.
      02-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Z4MC View Post
Just because a shop quote 2-3 hours, doesn't mean it will take them 2-3 hours. With the economy, many shops will under quote just to get the work.

Well if it takes one person 5 hours to do the install, then two person in 2-3 hours seems reasonable.

We are a forum to help each other. I just get really tired of BS and misleading thread about ridiculous claim about labor time just to boost one's ego.

I'm not attacking you nmulax in anyway shape or form. I just think as a group, everyone should try to help each other out with realistic information, and not post these "I can do this in 1 hour" claim, for something that will take 4-5 hours.

I would hate to tackle on a springs install on my Z4MC assuming that it will take me 2 hours in my driveway with simple hand tools, only to find out that is not the case.

End rant. Please continue.
You should heed your own advice. If you're clueless about something, don't talk/post. I've installed many sets of coilovers many times by myself (that includes swapping front springs with different spring rates and not just directly bolting on the front assemblies), alone, with no power tools, and finish in right about 3 hours. With a friend, it takes about 2 hours. Shops that have lifts and power tools should do it in a lot less than 3 hours.

Shops that quote 5 hours are quoting by the books. But it doesn't take that long to install suspensions on the Z4. It's a fact. Simply swapping the rear springs without changing the shocks is a 5 minute job with a lift.

And of course you don't have to believe me. Just do more research on other Z4 or E36/E46 forums on your own and read what others who've actually done suspension installs would say.

Last edited by GP20; 02-17-2010 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 12:52 AM   #13
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Two hours max

I recently installed TCK VVS rear springs and ride height adjustors and it took about one hour per side to include jacking up the rear of the car, unbolting the bottom of the rear dampers, and removing the rear wheels.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

The more you do it on a particular car, the faster you get. In college I used to change springs on Civics, 240s, and Maximas for $120. I did it my parent's garage and by time I had done my 5th or 6th of any of those cars I was easily able to do it in 90-120 minutes, but initial jobs would run longer.

When a shop quotes, they'll base it on the sort of first time basis.

I think 5 hours is a bit high but 3 or 4 sounds reasonable. It's only money, I'd be happy to pay extra if I know I'm getting a place that prides themselves in quality and will torque stuff to spec and not just use an impact on everything just to fly through it.

Regardless of hours, $300 is a fair price for a shop. $400 if you really like the shop. Any more and forget about it.

Also, I can't stress enough the need for an alignment within the first 200 miles of the job; otherwise you'll be out your tires in a matter of no time.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Dude,

I can do it for you in no time.

I replaced my OEMs with Eibach twice (once on stock shocks to see the handling and then installed on Konis)

I have also installed Coilovers.

I have a very busy schedule, but have Spring break coming up in a few weeks.

It will take about three hours.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
zeroselect
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I would have done it for 3 hrs. My shop is located in Fairfax VA. Good luck.

Average rate for Struts per side is 1.5hr per side.
Spare Track: 93 Nissan 240sx
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wildag is coming over on Saturday to help out and make some extra money. I'll get it aligned a week after so they have time to settle in.

I plan on doing everything else on my own, I just don't want to mess up with springs and damage something, like me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... I just don't want to mess up with springs and damage something, like me.
lol, good idea. Yea, you probably can't mess up the car too much, but you can loose some fingers with an improperly attached spring compressor.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
lol, good idea. Yea, you probably can't mess up the car too much, but you can loose some fingers with an improperly attached spring compressor.
Or some teeth
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
Z3Z4MC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
You should heed your own advice. If you're clueless about something, don't talk/post. I've installed many sets of coilovers many times by myself (that includes swapping front springs with different spring rates and not just directly bolting on the front assemblies), alone, with no power tools, and finish in right about 3 hours. With a friend, it takes about 2 hours. Shops that have lifts and power tools should do it in a lot less than 3 hours.

Shops that quote 5 hours are quoting by the books. But it doesn't take that long to install suspensions on the Z4. It's a fact. Simply swapping the rear springs without changing the shocks is a 5 minute job with a lift.

And of course you don't have to believe me. Just do more research on other Z4 or E36/E46 forums on your own and read what others who've actually done suspension installs would say.

Well I'm sure that since you have done so many springs and coilovers install, you are a season mechanic and can do the install in 3 hours. However, from reading the initial post by the OP, I would assume that he has never done springs install before. So, something that may take a veteran like yourself 3 hours, do you really think a noob can do it in 3 hours? Again, I was assuming that he's new to this. If not, then I guess he can also do it in 3 hours.

Bottom line is that he found a veteran to help him with the install, so everything should be good.
      02-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Good call bro.. on "not messing us something." If you search hard on youtube.. there is a video of some dudes in a shop allowing a spring to explode. It flew at least 600 feet away horizontally across a parking lot. It would have killed someone.

If you find it, it is the one taken from a cell phone camera.

Not something to do to "find out how" it works if you are not sure.

Good call.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #22
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Before and after pics would be greatly appreciated, especially a variety of pictures including standing height from 10-20' away.

Cheers
Appreciate 0