ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #67
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRO View Post
And I would add: what was wrong on your first rod bearings replacement (done by Bimmer Clinic, if I understood correctly) and how comes that the subsequent rod bearings replacement solved the problem?
If I had to take a guess, since it's a BMW dealership/mechanic that's doing the work, they'll replace with OEM only.

The fact that the oil pump was also replaced seems to suggest something failed in the lubrication system leading to the failure of the bearings in the first place. If the oil pump isn't replaced, the knocking may continue. The initial spun bearing may have only been the symptom of another failure elsewhere.

Just a guess.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #68
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster Imola Red

Bimmer Clinic changed the first set of bearings to aftermarket coated ones. I figured it would be better than OEM. That didn't get rid of the knocking.
      09-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #69
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knsaber View Post
So, long story short... as I literally was at the front entrance of a lawyer's office I get a phone call from a friend at BMW who was willing to take my car in to take a look at what he can do, I decided not to go through a lawyer anymore. I honestly didn't believe I could do much to win anyways. This was around February.

My friend's first step was to replace my aftermarket bearings I had just installed with OEM ones so that he could try to claim warranty through BMW, but then told me they were able to read the "black box" from the car that registered telemetry that indicated racing? Whatever, I'm not going to argue. So no luck with warranty, so I went ahead and had him do whatever work needed to be done to get the noise fixed...
RE the telemetry, even if they could read it, I don't see why it's an issue. M stands for motorsports, this car should be tracked! How can BMW be serious about marketing it's M car if they won't cover any repairs stemming from track usage, we're not talking wear-n-tear like brakes or tires.