ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw z4 coupe 3.0si

painting emblems problem

I was using the stickers for all of my emblems for a couple of years now. I have peeled them off and removed every emblem from my car, except the engine and steering wheel in which I left the stickers on. I took it to my paint guy and he is telling me since the letters and logo aren't raised like the old BMW logos/emblems that the paint scheme that I want will not work unless I use vinyl as well. I want to paint the background flat black and have the BMW part gloss black and two of the triangles in the logo gloss black. Have you all painted your emblems and ran into this same problem? What is the best way to go about painting the emblems without having to use vinyl as well? Thank you in advance for any replies.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Golfboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

J-Thurm, I did the exact thing with all my emblems, front, back and both sides. I wanted to go with the black-out look and I had no problem painting all the emblems flat black. I forgot to mention my 2008 roadster is triple black with black wheels. After awhile I decided that I didn't like all the emblems blacked out and replaced the front and back emblems with new ones using red vinyl quarter pieces to replace the blue sections. The red matches the red pin stripes that I have on my wheels. I left the side marker emblems black for a cleaner look. Also, I removed all the badges on the sides and trunk lid and painted the keyholes on door and trunk lid black. So, to answer your question about painting the emblems, you should be able to do it without too much trouble. Good luck and post the outcome whatever you decide to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I guess you had to use vinyl for the "BMW" lettering on the emblems and the two pie pieces in the BMW logo? I thought he could pull it off where he could just paint part of it flat black and the other parts gloss black, but I guess this isn't possible on the newer style logos. Did the vinyl come out looking ok? I think I will go the paint/vinyl route if so..I haven't seen too much on this subject, so I appreciate your response. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

Pictures please. I have never seen a painted emblem. I have often wondered about painting the embossed BMW emblem on the black cooling plate under the hood. I think the contrast of the black and true BMW emblem would look really good. Then the question is who would paint it? Sign maker or artist, it seem that is some small ass, articulate work!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Golfboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Re: Painted emblems

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Thurm View Post
I guess you had to use vinyl for the "BMW" lettering on the emblems and the two pie pieces in the BMW logo? I thought he could pull it off where he could just paint part of it flat black and the other parts gloss black, but I guess this isn't possible on the newer style logos. Did the vinyl come out looking ok? I think I will go the paint/vinyl route if so..I haven't seen too much on this subject, so I appreciate your response. Thanks again.
J-Thurm, I might not have been clear on the painting of the side marker emblems. I painted the entire emblems satin black with clear coat on top of that. The emblems blend into the side of the fender and look a lot cleaner. The turn signal lights still work as normal. The emblems on the front bumper and the trunk lid look good with the red quarter pieces covering the blue sections. The vinyl was easy to use and looks good. Hope this helps you with whatever you decide to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I know what you are talking about...my paint guy said that the emblems have changed. Technically you can do it like you want, but it will require a lot of labor, a talented paint guy...and because of that...a lot of money. Even vinyling them will take time and patience and a steady hand.

Keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Urluz3n
Lackey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe

I feel like a dumb@$$. So actually you are like debadging the car? I like the colors and the look of the rondels.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urluz3n View Post
Pictures please. I have never seen a painted emblem. I have often wondered about painting the embossed BMW emblem on the black cooling plate under the hood. I think the contrast of the black and true BMW emblem would look really good. Then the question is who would paint it? Sign maker or artist, it seem that is some small ass, articulate work!
How about just gluing a Roundel on the top of it, search for "BMW Roundel" on this page: http://www.billswebspace.com/bmwmc.htm.

And it's "Roundel".

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
J-Thurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I wasn't sure about the vinyl at first, but I saw how some looked on one of my emblems today and it looked much better than I thought I would. I was going to paint all of the emblems flat black, and then use gloss vinyl to put on top of it, but I think I'm just going to use the all vinyl route. I already used the stickers for a while, and want to do them right. I just hope the vinyl can hold up in the sun, rain, etc and won't mess up after a while. I'll post pictures when they are done. I'm actually putting up pictures in the picture part of the forum now.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Thurm View Post
I wasn't sure about the vinyl at first, but I saw how some looked on one of my emblems today and it looked much better than I thought I would. I was going to paint all of the emblems flat black, and then use gloss vinyl to put on top of it, but I think I'm just going to use the all vinyl route. I already used the stickers for a while, and want to do them right. I just hope the vinyl can hold up in the sun, rain, etc and won't mess up after a while. I'll post pictures when they are done. I'm actually putting up pictures in the picture part of the forum now.
I still like the stickers, price is right, detail is good. If the car is garaged and they are applied correctly I'm betting 2-3 years min before I change them. I have 9 months on them and see no sign of wear.
STIHLBOLTS got ahold of some pricey, but verrrrrrrrry nice carbon fiber ones from the UK. PM him for the link. Might be what you are really after.

Here's mine along with the diet burger mod
Attached Images

2011 E93 335is - current fav

Last edited by BruceJ; 01-22-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0