ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #23
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
335i.

With a tune or piggyback you will see gains of 60+ whp & 90 ft/lb of torque.
Easily keeping up with the new V8 M3's for way less.

You get what you pay for...
      12-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #24
8000RPM
Rep
Drives: 2007 Interlagos Blue M Coupe

Not a 335i but my other car is a 535i.

Some mornings I drive both back to back and my preference is clearly the M car.

The M just feels so purposeful and racy and raw, not to mention it is so rare. The 535i in contrast is an extremely competent car for the masses.

It all depends on what you value more.

I happen to value the raw nature and raciness of the M Coupe.

Oh, and it also looks freaking cool!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #25
jamboMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MR sold *sniff sniff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000RPM View Post
It all depends on what you value more.

I happen to value the raw nature and raciness of the M Coupe.
Yeah that's what it's all about. You can get a hundred different makes and models of cars that go fast or can be made to go fast, don't limit yourself to a 335 if that's the main concern. But not many of them feel the way the M does and that is also what I value more than anything else which is why I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #26
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

i think im going to take out an M, and it will all come down to comfort. If the Z is comfortable than i think it might work out, but if its like the 350z i drive now, no way jose.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 04:42 AM   #27
Ax_ji
China
Rep
Drives: X5

Can not be compared!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:06 AM   #28
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
The 335i is a great everyday car for the masses. It's practical and fun to drive, and would be an enjoyable car to own. The downside is it's common in comparison, and the motor lacks upper end torque (it drops 100 lb-ft in the last 1500 rpms!). At anything over 3500 rpms, the Z4M is producing more torque to the pavement, which is why the Z4M is faster (barely). Nonetheless, these cars are very different in driving feel. For sure the Z4M is more fun to drive. Also, like any car, the ride comfort can be improved. A set of KW V3 coilovers will not only make the car more compliant (softer) over bumps, but will also improve handling and cornering. Personally I find the OEM ride quality on my Z4M better than the 135i I drove all summer with its runflats. In consideration to that, I'm not looking to replace my suspension. I'd rather spend the same money on a shorter final gear so there's even more of an acceleration gap between it and cars like the performance car wannabe 335i.

Stock 335 with a reprogramed computer will do a 12.4 in a quarter. Your M will never see that low a time, rear end change or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #29
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
i think im going to take out an M, and it will all come down to comfort. If the Z is comfortable than i think it might work out, but if its like the 350z i drive now, no way jose.
The Z4M is absolutely not a brutal ride. My '05 MINI S was extremely brutal in comparison. With the MINI I paid great attention to any road irregularity and avoided driving over everything I could, including the smallest of ridges or cracks. In the Z4M thoughts like that have never once entered my mind. I also rode in a Z3 recently and thought it had a brutal ride.
      12-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #30
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
Stock 335 with a reprogramed computer will do a 12.4 in a quarter. Your M will never see that low a time, rear end change or not.
Who cares? Certainly not me...
      12-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #31
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
That is nice...

What will this reprogramming do to the engine & turbos?

Straight line eh? Real men race on proper tracks with turns and not on straights.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #32
jamboMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MR sold *sniff sniff*

Quote:
If I had any slight interest in this whatsoever I would have bought a Viper, not a BMW. I can't remember the last time I raced off at the traffic lights or went down the quarter, it has to be at least 5 years now. People grow up after a while and realize what's more important and usable every day and purchase cars accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #33
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
The ///M most certainly can be harsh on rough roads, that said, it's very comfy on smooth tarmac

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #34
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboMR View Post
If I had any slight interest in this whatsoever I would have bought a Viper, not a BMW. I can't remember the last time I raced off at the traffic lights or went down the quarter, it has to be at least 5 years now. People grow up after a while and realize what's more important and usable every day and purchase cars accordingly.
By the way - this is a Viper vs. a Z4M. It has been posted before but it does not hurt to remind the chipped 335i crowd that there is more to life and racing than straight lines and 0-60. Enjoy.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #35
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

I thought the M was gonna be brutal to live with before i bought it but after owning it for just over one month I think it isn't very bad at all. In fact the ride is pretty decent for a hardcore sports car. Right now i can truly say that the M is a car that can be driven everyday.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #36
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:

I had a couple 350z's 3 in fact 05, 06, 07 doesn't compare...I thought being rough around the edges meant it was raw but after having the M, there is definitely a difference with raw(M) and harsh(350z)

If I ever had a car that I couldn't bare it would have been my 06 997 and not even the S. that was just embarrassing when I had passengers

let's not compare these vehicles b/c they are not comparable...what is quanitative is what you can compromise to get in the 2 seater....besides with the deals going on the e90 m3's and 0% apr why not an m3 over a lowly 335i?? Get the M

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #37
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
I had a couple 350z's 3 in fact 05, 06, 07 doesn't compare...I thought being rough around the edges meant it was raw but after having the M, there is definitely a difference with raw(M) and harsh(350z)

If I ever had a car that I couldn't bare it would have been my 06 997 and not even the S. that was just embarrassing when I had passengers

let's not compare these vehicles b/c they are not comparable...what is quanitative is what you can compromise to get in the 2 seater....besides with the deals going on the e90 m3's and 0% apr why not an m3 over a lowly 335i?? Get the M
Why was the Carrera embarrassing? I am thinking of getting a 4S....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #38
quickfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: quickfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
By the way - this is a Viper vs. a Z4M. It has been posted before but it does not hurt to remind the chipped 335i crowd that there is more to life and racing than straight lines and 0-60. Enjoy.

Yes I am sure many of us frequent the Top Gear track.

Real world usability ? Highway stretches, not Gambon.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #39
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Why was the Carrera embarrassing? I am thinking of getting a 4S....
Hmmm... I thought you got one by now!

I had a chance to test drive the Carrera S earlier this year (with another forum member). I thought the ride was quite compliant... arguably a better feel than my M. But that car didn't really excite me, and I was not too impressed with the interior layout. Maybe I was used to the kielbasa of a steering wheel the M has that I was left longing for more than just a weiner of a wheel of the Carrera. Maybe I'm having a feminine moment right now...

Anyway, back on topic. I strongly believe that the 3er is going to be the best choice for the OP, as it's practical but is no slouch on a day-to-day basis. It's exciting enough to have and has plenty of grunt on tap. But if the OP is of the ilk that doesn't mind a little rawness, then the M is a contender.

BTW, that vid wasn't filmed at the Top Gear track, but at a track in America.
      12-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #40
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfast View Post
Yes I am sure many of us frequent the Top Gear track.

Real world usability ? Highway stretches, not Gambon.
Obviously the M isn't as exciting as the viper I am sure I am gonna have twice the fun in the viper. However there is a price to pay for that excitement and thrill.....probably a horrible crash when i see the first corner. If the viper cost the same as our roadster and i am a better driver i would have chosen it over my M.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 01:59 AM   #41
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post

My Z is such a harsh ride ive had it less than a year and cant wait to get rid of it. I am in college and take 6+hour drives over the weeked back home for work and i HATE taking the Z.

I have a low/mid 30's $$ range so im down to the upcoming Chevy Camaro (common, 30k for 422hp...), a Z4M, or the 335i.

ps. My dad has an 07' 911 4S Cab that he is selling if your interested
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 02:17 AM   #42
rcube
Private
Rep
Drives: z4mc

I think you will like the 335i more.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #43
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
That is nice...

What will this reprogramming do to the engine & turbos?

Straight line eh? Real men race on proper tracks with turns and not on straights.
Rave on you and Dancia Patrick, real men

http://www.danicaracing.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #44
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Rave on you and Dancia Patrick, real men

http://www.danicaracing.com/
I would like the curves on that - I wouldn't mind the straights either.

Proves my point that real men drive on curves, turns, and straights - not just on straights!
Appreciate 0