ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #45
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #46
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
+1
Where did my quote go?

I was agreeing with you, enfield!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #47
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991.1S, G05 X5 50i, LR Disco

"Dissappointing handling"? American automotive journalists are idiots, especially Car & Driver and Motor Trend. Top Gear has an insanely fast time for the Z4M on their track, approx 0.5 sec slower than a Gallardo, as improbable as it sounds. On the Viper vs. Z4M test, it was on an American track. The Z4M has been lauded in the Euro press and the Z4MR is quite a bit faster around the 'ring than the E46 M3, with shittier tires (and the coupe is apparently faster than the roadster).

I had the same choice, I chose the Z4M. I wanted a real sports car, not a floaty, soft, ubiquitous sporty car with 4 seats (although at times I wish I had 4 seats) and the ability to run really fast in the 1/4 mile. I like the 335i, but it is a very different car from the Z4M.

For 1/4 mile: People have hit high 12's in the Z4M in the 1/4 mile, if it excites anyone... and a full-exhaust, scoops + ECU should make it close to the E92 M3. Once again, if anyone cares... I don't.
      12-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #48
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoZ View Post
"Dissappointing handling"? American automotive journalists are idiots...
+Infinity
      12-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #49
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

Quote:
"Dissappointing handling"? American automotive journalists are idiots, especially Car & Driver and Motor Trend. Top Gear has an insanely fast time for the Z4M on their track, approx 0.5 sec slower than a Gallardo, as improbable as it sounds. On the Viper vs. Z4M test, it was on an American track. The Z4M has been lauded in the Euro press and the Z4MR is quite a bit faster around the 'ring than the E46 M3, with shittier tires (and the coupe is apparently faster than the roadster).

I had the same choice, I chose the Z4M. I wanted a real sports car, not a floaty, soft, ubiquitous sporty car with 4 seats (although at times I wish I had 4 seats) and the ability to run really fast in the 1/4 mile. I like the 335i, but it is a very different car from the Z4M.

For 1/4 mile: People have hit high 12's in the Z4M in the 1/4 mile, if it excites anyone... and a full-exhaust, scoops + ECU should make it close to the E92 M3. Once again, if anyone cares... I don't.
I feel like the E92 M3 is the best of both worlds... maybe a used one will drop into my price range...

and...i do feel obligated to point out that a Viper lapped the German Ring' in almost a full minute faster than the M.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:27 AM   #50
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
and...i do feel obligated to point out that a Viper lapped the German Ring' in almost a full minute faster than the M.
Box stock vs. box stock? I've seen a race-prepped Viper up there, and even had it pass me once. If it's that Viper you're referring too, well, not very fair comparison. Besides, Hans Stuck in his race-prepped M3 GTR is among the fastest times on the track.

Bottomline is the E46 M3 deserves high praise...still to this day. It's successor will never reach the same acclaim, although at least the new M3 will be able to hold the honor as the last real M3 before BMW waters them down to nothing.
      12-19-2008, 03:57 AM   #51
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:
"Dissappointing handling"? American automotive journalists are idiots
I totally agree, i have seen some reviews where obviously the American jornalist can't even drive properly. I think top gear is very precise about the M roadster sometimes the problem isn't with the car its the driver who doesn't noe wat his doing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #52
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Box stock vs. box stock? I've seen a race-prepped Viper up there, and even had it pass me once. If it's that Viper you're referring too, well, not very fair comparison. Besides, Hans Stuck in his race-prepped M3 GTR is among the fastest times on the track.

Bottomline is the E46 M3 deserves high praise...still to this day. It's successor will never reach the same acclaim, although at least the new M3 will be able to hold the honor as the last real M3 before BMW waters them down to nothing.
im talking about a stock SRT-10 ACR viper.

think of the Viper as a 3 series, and the SRT-10 to be their 'M' series, and the ACR SRT-10 to be their 'we're going to rub this in while staying stock' series. Think CSL.

It holds the lap record for Nurburgring for a stock production car.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #53
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991.1S, G05 X5 50i, LR Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
I feel like the E92 M3 is the best of both worlds... maybe a used one will drop into my price range...

Heh... sure. I like the E92 M3, but prefer the E46 for its sharpness and I6 motor (biased maybe); however I hate having older shapes... the Z3M and Z4M being exceptions.

The 7:22 sec Viper was heavily modded, It was a SRT-T ACR with the harcore package option, non-stock tires, race prepped seats etc and further suspension alternations. I am sure that you can mod the ZR-1 to have it run faster!

I drove a regular SRT-10 (after driving a F430) and to be honest, was relieved to be back in my Z4M after, although it felt slow in comparision! The F430 was possibly the best car I ever drove, so driving the SRT-10 after didn't help it.
      12-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #54
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Heh... sure. I like the E92 M3, but prefer the E46 for its sharpness and I6 motor (biased maybe); however I hate having older shapes... the Z3M and Z4M being exceptions.

The 7:22 sec Viper was heavily modded, It was a SRT-T ACR with the harcore package option, non-stock tires, race prepped seats etc and further suspension alternations. I am sure that you can mod the ZR-1 to have it run faster!

I drove a regular SRT-10 (after driving a F430) and to be honest, was relieved to be back in my Z4M after, although it felt slow in comparision! The F430 was possibly the best car I ever drove, so driving the SRT-10 after didn't help it.

the Viper was outfitted with items and packages that are all available from the factory, thus stock. Thats why its record counts.

I really like the E92 M3.. honestly if i had the money id be all over it, but i believe its overpriced. My only complaint is that BMW managed to drop a V8 in a 60k car, and squeezed less than 300lbft of torque out of it. For me, coming from an 06' GTO, I Love to feel my face peel back under hard acceleration. But with less than 300lbsft, it feels like a V6 mustang. that's unacceptable.

And you sir are dead on. I got to drive my father in-law's F430 a few months back. Wow. I STILL have a hard on.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #55
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I like the 335- it is a fine car. It is a few of the drivers that make me crazy. It is like they have something to prove (for not having a M car).
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #56
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Why was the Carrera embarrassing? I am thinking of getting a 4S....
well the 997 was embarrassing b/c of the ride (teeth chattering) and it was constantly bucking back and forth from the stiff ride on freeway cracks...not to mention my z4m would show it's rear end to it anytime of the day, but most of all b/c it was at the dealership for most of the 1.5 yrs I had it. Constantly had oil leaks and ECU issues(ran real rich). Ohh yeah I hated how it would understeer and snap into over steer...definitley not for a novice driver-->ME

If I would by another P-car it would definitely be a 993. The crate motor price says it all...997 s is only $7k and the 993 s is $15k+. Difference being mainly from being hand built(tighter tolerances).

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #57
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
If you want a car with a back seat and a more forgiving suspension get the 335i. If you want a high-revving I6 with 4 tires on it, and a place to sit, get the Z4MC, but just to warn you, you'll feel every bump in the road...
I tend to disagree on the "feel every bump in the road" - I find my M Coupe quite comfortable, even during winter (right now it's -30 C outside, lots of snow on the ground, roads are in terrible condition).

Although, my brother has a Mazdaspeed3 and I'd say that's why I find the M Coupe quite comfortable... the MS3 is absolutely the roughest ride I've ever been in, and I've owned a couple of S2000's too-- they're still no where near that rough.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #58
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
I tend to disagree on the "feel every bump in the road" - I find my M Coupe quite comfortable, even during winter (right now it's -30 C outside, lots of snow on the ground, roads are in terrible condition).

Although, my brother has a Mazdaspeed3 and I'd say that's why I find the M Coupe quite comfortable... the MS3 is absolutely the roughest ride I've ever been in, and I've owned a couple of S2000's too-- they're still no where near that rough.
Drive down to boston and you'll agree with me wholeheartedly.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0