ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0i

Service Engine Soon Means......????

I always assumed "Service Engine Soon" was the same as a "Check Engine" light and it meant that something was wrong with my car. But now I'm starting to think it just relates to service (i.e. oil change, tune up, etc.). It comes on for a while then shuts off. It sometimes pops up in my wife's '06 325xi too. Can someone set the record straight for me. Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

hehe, why not just be safe and bring it in if you're still under warranty? Or at least have an indy shop take run some fault codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

It has something to do with emissions per the owners manual. Mine is at the dealer now because my light came on
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
It illuminates when something isn't right, not at any particular service interval- that's what the oil service/inspection countdown displayed at start up does. If the light is on the computer is throwing a code. Some codes result in a hard light that can only be reset with an OBDII tool, even if the problem goes away. No one here will be able to accurately diagnose without a code.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Dutch Isles
United_States
Rep
Drives: . . . like a freak'n Warthog!

Owners Manual - Service Engine Soon

My 2005 (Page 90) owners manual states that "if the service indicator lamp comes on continuously or intermittently, this indicates a fault in the emission related electronic systems . . . . you should have the system checked by your BMW dealer at the earliest opportunity . . . If the indicator blinks or flashes, this indicates a high level of engine misfire. Reduce speed and contact the nearest BMW center immediately. Severe engine misfiring over even a short period of time can seriously damage emission control system components, especially the catalalytic converter."

Last edited by Dutch Isles; 10-17-2010 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: misspell
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Ohhh yeahhh, my friend's Z3 had this same issue lol
Yup, it's catalytic converter related. Anyhow, if you're not in CA, I wouldn't worry about it too much jkjk
Get it checked out nonetheless =P
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Yup, it's catalytic converter related.
Not necessarily. It could be any number of things - bad spark plug causing a misfire, coil, sensor, etc. I guess technically they are emissions-related but I'd be more worried about causing damage to my car.

I had a SES light due to a cylinder misfire from an old spark plug. While spark plugs can go out completely and cause an engine to run very rough, it's been my experience that a one-time misfire is a spark plug and a non-firing cylinder is usually a bad coil. But like I said, there are all kinds of things it could be because you need fuel, air, and spark... and that's just for a misfire.

Buy yourself a code reader, even if it's a generic one from Walmart for $100. If your wife's car has a SES light then it will pay for itself vs. two trips to the dealership. Pull the code, and google it to find common causes. Mine has paid for itself many times over.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Not necessarily. It could be any number of things - bad spark plug causing a misfire, coil, sensor, etc. I guess technically they are emissions-related but I'd be more worried about causing damage to my car.

I had a SES light due to a cylinder misfire from an old spark plug. While spark plugs can go out completely and cause an engine to run very rough, it's been my experience that a one-time misfire is a spark plug and a non-firing cylinder is usually a bad coil. But like I said, there are all kinds of things it could be because you need fuel, air, and spark... and that's just for a misfire.

Buy yourself a code reader, even if it's a generic one from Walmart for $100. If your wife's car has a SES light then it will pay for itself vs. two trips to the dealership. Pull the code, and google it to find common causes. Mine has paid for itself many times over.
I actually don't want to get a crappy one. I want a good one. Just not crazy expensive. $150-200 range. Any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Dutch Isles
United_States
Rep
Drives: . . . like a freak'n Warthog!

Given the value of the vehicle . . . if that light is flashing at me . . . just bring it to the dealership and kick in a few (or more) dollars. It's a real pain, but before you have greater problems . . . bring it in for a landing and have your mechanics take a look.
      10-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

I'm located in North Arlington if you want me to scan it for you. Just send me a PM
Appreciate 0