ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Taping front of car for track?

Was all set to have a good chunk of the car covered in clear protective film, and then the weathermen called for up to a foot of snow in the Twin Cities on the day I was supposed to take the car into the shop to have this work done. It would have been a 45 minute drive downtown on a good day, so dealing with a foot of wet, heavy snow in rush hour traffic heading downtown with a rear wheel drive sports car didn't appeal to me, so I canceled. Due to work and family commitments I'm not sure I can get it back there before I head to the track in late May.

My questions for the track folks:

- What kind of tape do you use to protect your car at the track? Just regular painters tape?

- Is there any special cleaning you need to do after you remove the paint?

- How long does it take you to tape up the car?

- What portions of the car do you tape up?

- On the "pain in the rear end" scale - with a 1 being super easy and a 5 being you'd never try it again; how much of a hassle is it to tape up your car?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Don't use normal household painters tape, there is separate automotive painters tape where the adhesive is not as strong. If your bumper has original factory paint this is less of a concern but if you had a respray done at any point, painters tape can actually pull the paint off. If you encounter wet weather on track and allow the tape to dry before removal, chances of pulling paint are even higher.

I try to wash the car before I apply tape. Ideally the car will also have been detailed prior to beginning of the season. Last thing you want is to apply any tape while there's debris on the car. Assuming the front end is clean, I used to tape the whole front end, first 6" of the hood, and the area behind each wheel. I would typically do this all the night before so the car was protected even on the way up. I've seen folks who who also cover up headlights, fogs and mirror covers.

Over the years I've stopped taping the car up so much, once you accept that the car is longer a garage queen I only cover up certain areas. Plus having a clearbra for general protection helps. The areas behind the wheels I mentioned:

Last edited by 3002 tii; 05-06-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Painter's tape, blue or green, leaves no residue, easy to put on easy to remove. (Not duct tape like I saw on a poor Corvette one time--ouch.)

I don't bother anymore since my bumper needs a respray anyway. But in the past, it's taken me 10-15 min to tape up the complete front end--bumper, headlights--in a protective blue condom of blue tape.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

I use racers tape. http://www.racerstape.com
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
You will get 'tire worm' marks on the car, even in places that will make you shake your head and wonder 'HOW'.

In my experience, the easiest way to remove the rubber 'tire worm' marks is use a clay bar. Pulls the mark right out of the car with no paint damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

i don't even really bother with any tape anymore, I normally fully detail my car twice a year that will take out most of the scuffs you get from tracking. I do however use racers tape just to give my car a little color and makes it easy to distinguish from far away so my friends see me coming from behind or for friends spectating.

05-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I've got a 3 hour drive to the track, so not sure I want to make that drive with blue tape all over the car. Maybe that's just my ego coming into play...and I don't have a very big ego. So if the weather cooperates then I'll just get her cleaned up before I head up there, then tape it in the hotel parking lot the night before, or the morning of.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeoluck View Post
Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I've got a 3 hour drive to the track, so not sure I want to make that drive with blue tape all over the car. Maybe that's just my ego coming into play...and I don't have a very big ego. So if the weather cooperates then I'll just get her cleaned up before I head up there, then tape it in the hotel parking lot the night before, or the morning of.
normally if you're not in the advance group, you'll have plenty of time to prep your car before your run group goes up. Thats when I normally tape my car, torque my wheels, check tire pressure etc etc. Have fun!
      05-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I agree, over the years I've taped the car less and less. I will say though the tape isn't so much to protect the paint from tire marks but actual paint chips from debris. I once lined up behind a Z06 with r-comps and when he pulled out I thought my car had gotten sandblasted lol.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 05-06-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep

My car is still 98% garage (not trailer) queen. When I first bought it I wanted to keep it pristine for the next 20 years. But my Porsche-racing buddy - along with many of you - have convinced me that life is short, cars can be repainted, other cars can be purchased, etc., etc. So I've decided to live on the wild side a bit and take it out to the track. But I must admit that when I see this baby all cleaned up and looking pretty, sitting there at dusk - as I saw her tonight while picking up sushi for the family - I just fall in love all over again with the car. I'll probably err on the side of taping her up too much this first time. If I fall in love with racing then maybe I'll splurge on the film, or just live with the chips.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I always tend to do more rather than less when it comes to tape. If your drive to the track is far, taping also makes clean up particularly easy because you can just peel off the splattered bugs.

I usually spend about an hour taping up my car with multiple layers. I know I'm OCD about it, but she's my baby and I like to keep her as perfect as I can

More pics here: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812379

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Good stuff, thank you.

I thought the hood was a potential problem area, but I don't see any of you taping the hood up. Why not?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Good stuff, thank you.

I thought the hood was a potential problem area, but I don't see any of you taping the hood up. Why not?
I just never saw the need. In the 2 years I've owned the car, I don't have a single rock chip above the front bumper.

The lower half of the front bumper (particularly fangs) and the areas on the side skirts in front of the rear wheels take the biggest beating.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryb97 View Post
Just checked out their site and I'm not finding a specific tape for this purpose. They do have a "checkerboard tape" that it says is great for racers, but it only comes in a checkerboard pattern.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I just DGAF since I have clear bra on the front bumper and half on fenders and hood
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #16
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just checked out their site and I'm not finding a specific tape for this purpose. They do have a "checkerboard tape" that it says is great for racers, but it only comes in a checkerboard pattern.
I wouldn't recommend racers tape if you plan to cover large body panels, the adhesive is quite strong and a biatch to remove, doesn't leave residue though. stick with 3m painters tape or frog tape.

racers tape is awesome because it tears in a clean straight line so its easy to make numbers.
      05-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryb97 View Post
I emailed the guys at RacersTape.com about this application, and here's the response I got:

The only tape we specially sell for that purpose would be the ISC helicopter
surface guard tape seen online at:

http://www.findtape.com/shop/results...=helicopter-og

However that tape is designed for more permanent applications and is not
designed to remove cleanly. You could try a removable protective film tape
like Patco 5560 (see http://www.findtape.com/product463/info.aspx); however
that's just a polyethylene film so wouldn't offer the protection a
polyurethane film like the helicopter tape would. If the tape doesn't have
to be clear you could also try a gaffers tape if it is only going to be on
for one day - a tape like the Pro Tapes Pro Gaff seen online at
http://www.findtape.com/product199/info.aspx could be tried.

Doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies. Looks like I'm going with generic painters tape from Home Depot???
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I just DGAF
DGAF?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
DGAF?
New to me as well but I'm guessing "don't give a f*ck".
      05-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Why bother? If you're going to tape, go ALL OUT like this:

Because no matter how much you tape, you'll get tire marks and chips in places you didn't tape. I've got a couple of minor chips on my A pillar and have gotten chips on my door panel. Unless you're willing to tape those areas too...And if you are, you're better off buying a beater track only car and leave the Coupe at home.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My car is still 98% garage (not trailer) queen. When I first bought it I wanted to keep it pristine for the next 20 years. But my Porsche-racing buddy - along with many of you - have convinced me that life is short, cars can be repainted, other cars can be purchased, etc., etc. So I've decided to live on the wild side a bit and take it out to the track. But I must admit that when I see this baby all cleaned up and looking pretty, sitting there at dusk - as I saw her tonight while picking up sushi for the family - I just fall in love all over again with the car. I'll probably err on the side of taping her up too much this first time. If I fall in love with racing then maybe I'll splurge on the film, or just live with the chips.
You shouldn't wait to find out you want to clearbra, because it very well may be too late by then. If you plan on keeping the car long-term regardless of track or not, you should just get the paint protection now imo.
      05-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I just returned home from getting my second clear bra applied.
Appreciate 0