ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Lost Bluetooth after jumping the battery.

I had to jump start the car the other day and since then my phone wont reconnect to the bluetooth.
To answer the obvious, I followed jumpstarting process in the manual, connected cables to +plus terminal and ground bolt in the engine bay. Car started as expected.
A little later a friend called and it didnt come through the bluetooth like normal. I just figured I needed to re-pair with the car.

Here is the problem. As shown in the manual, the car should be pairable for a minute after turning on. Press the R/T button... Nothing happens. Although the phone does see BMW91602 it is unable to pair. The radio, does not respond at all to pressing the R/T button. Did the jump start burn out my BT module? Why does the phone find it but the radio does not?
Has anyone seen this before?

Also I'm concerned about taking it to the dealer because I have the DICE module installed and I'm wondering if they will say the warentee is void because of that.
Any ideas in ZPOST land?
      05-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Sounds like you have to do the initial setup again... After you turn on the car, make your phone visible, and have it search for bluetooth... then you'll have to pair with the BMW again and enter in the security code.

When I had to do the initial setup on my car, the R/T button did nothing either, and there was no option in the menus to pair anything. I had to do the steps described above.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

TCU (telematics control unit) in the trunk probably went bad. It's a known weak point in the system, and I'm actually on my third TCU (current one is bad, but now I'm going to probably replace the system with a Parrot or other type BT that hooks into the stock interface), and two of mine went bad after a "low voltage" scenario.

Actually, monitor your voltage, and if possible your current draw, as when both my previous TCUs went bad, they actually ended up drawing very high current at all times even when the car was off, and it was what caused my battery to die every other day until I solved the problem. If you notice your car is getting hard to start due to low voltage, try pulling the fuse for the BT system and it should temporarily solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
Sounds like you have to do the initial setup again... After you turn on the car, make your phone visible, and have it search for bluetooth... then you'll have to pair with the BMW again and enter in the security code.

When I had to do the initial setup on my car, the R/T button did nothing either, and there was no option in the menus to pair anything. I had to do the steps described above.
The phone finds the BMW bluetooth but just comes back with "Unable to pair" and never gets to the enter code screen.
      05-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
TCU (telematics control unit) in the trunk probably went bad. It's a known weak point in the system, and I'm actually on my third TCU (current one is bad, but now I'm going to probably replace the system with a Parrot or other type BT that hooks into the stock interface), and two of mine went bad after a "low voltage" scenario.

Actually, monitor your voltage, and if possible your current draw, as when both my previous TCUs went bad, they actually ended up drawing very high current at all times even when the car was off, and it was what caused my battery to die every other day until I solved the problem. If you notice your car is getting hard to start due to low voltage, try pulling the fuse for the BT system and it should temporarily solve the problem.
Looks like a trip to the stealership then. Should I remove the IPOD DICE module before taking it in just to eliminate any excuses?
      05-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

The TCU won't work properly if your battery is weak or needs to be replaced - at least that is my experience. Try taking her for a nice spin at 60 mph for an hour or so to charge the battery and then see if the TCU starts working again.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
SF-Z4_3.0si
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i convertible

I recently lost my Bluetooth connection. It was working and then nothing. I worried it was the TCU. I thought I'd check the fuses just in case. My fuse numbers were #47 and #49. A 7.5 and 10amp respectively. My faulty fuse was the 10amp. Once I replaced my Bluetooth worked.
Before changing the fuse, pushing any steering wheel button would not work.

I'd try the fusses before the TCU. Much easier and cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I pulled the fuses labeled for the phone and they were fine. Put them back and the Bluetooth started working. Being an IT guy, I guess the BT module just needed to be powered off or "Re-booted" to start working after jumping the battery.