ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-09-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
1st_Knight
'Entwicklung 85 - Zukunft4'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 SMG DINAN S1

Dinan Free Flow Exhaust Installed!

Well, my Dinan Free Flow Exhaust System is installed.

And here is my story…

It was Friday evening, after work when I had picked up my exhaust from the Dealership. As for the box, that the exhaust came in, it was large. Large enough that there was no way it would have fit in the trunk of my Z4. However, it was fortunate that I had driven the X3 to work, so all went well.

Once I got home and I opened up the box, I realized that 65-70% of the box was filled with packing foam. Anyways, and after reviewing the instructions, I decided not to attempt the install myself. The very thought of any unforeseen problems that may arise from a home install had crossed my mind. Also, there would be no doubt that it would take me the entire day to do this installation. Most importantly, I also wanted the installation to be professionally done. I then removed the new exhaust from this large box and carefully placed it into my Z4 trunk, with lots of room to spare.

So at the crack of dawn when I had awakened at 5:45 a.m., excited I was about my new Dinan part. I did the three SSS’s, drank some coffee. I went online, did a quick research of several local muffler & exhaust shops here in San Diego, I selected one that was open at 7:00 a.m., then I immediately was out of the house.

Not much to write up, other than the muffler shop had excellent customer service and the technicians did an excellent job with the installation…

So here are some pics, they are not the greatest in the world, but hey…

Once I started her up, I had noticed that the exhaust sound was perfect, not too loud or not too low. The sound was now sporty. Once I got onto the open road, I really liked the crackling and popping sound during the downshifts…

The Box...

My OEM Exhaust with the chrome tips...

The Cutting...

The Clamps...

Installation complete...

The End...

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 03-11-2008 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Might I bug you for which shop you went to in SD? My friend went to a shady one in San Marcos, he wants to find a different one to get his resonators removed (non-z content) Install looks great, the first installed shot makes it looks like its sitting really far left but then I realized the stock exhaust follows the same pattern. The other shots from different angles make it look great, the tips look good, wish they were bigger though. We need to meet up so I can hear that exhaust. As well as check out all your other Dinan goodies. Thanks for the post
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
Might I bug you for which shop you went to in SD? My friend went to a shady one in San Marcos, he wants to find a different one to get his resonators removed (non-z content) Install looks great, the first installed shot makes it looks like its sitting really far left but then I realized the stock exhaust follows the same pattern. The other shots from different angles make it look great, the tips look good, wish they were bigger though. We need to meet up so I can hear that exhaust. As well as check out all your other Dinan goodies. Thanks for the post

No problem...FYI, before taking my car to the Midas Shop located on 5880 Miramar Road, I had checked with AAA Club of CA and the Better Business Bureau, and during the last 3 years, this shop had no filed compliants. The other shops that I looked into had at least 1-2 customer complaints with resolved and runresolved complaints.

If it is of any consolation, while I was waiting for the exhaust to be installed I was chatting with another customer there and he had mentioned to me that he has been a loyal customer to this shop on Miramar Road for almost 2 years, and he was very happy with both there pricing of services and goods. So, I knew I had made an excellent choice.

So, if you or your friends decide to go there, talk to John, and he will take care of everything...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
enjoy!
I LIKE IT, YES I DO! ...

Supposedly, and within a few months, hopefully early this summer. I have been told that the Dinan Stage 2 Performance Software should be obtaining its CARB Exemption... Then it's back to the Dealer.....

Update......Might be sooner than the summer for the software upgrade.... It looks more like the end of this month before the 10% rebate offer ends...LOL

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 03-12-2008 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Z4coupe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Knight View Post
I LIKE IT, YES I DO! ...

Supposedly, and within a few months, hopefully early this summer. I have been told that the Dinan Stage 2 Performance Software should be obtaining its CARB Exemption... Then it's back to the Dealer.....
So what does your butt dyno say about the muffler install?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4coupe View Post
So what does your butt dyno say about the muffler install?
OMG, as soon as I stepped on the gas, I sh$% in my pants...LOL...

Seriously speaking though, after I install the remaining Dinan stuff for my car, (the performance software & wider throttle body).... Because of my curiousity, and when I have the time, I probably will take the car to a shop for some real results...As for me, for right now, I'm not in pursuit of any serious HP gains.

The reality is that when you live in CA, and with the strict Emissions laws, you can only attain so much HP with CARB exempt aftermarket parts. However, "if", and whenever Dinan markets a CARB Exempt SC kit for a Z4 non-M....I might consider it....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Thanks for the shop info; surprised you went to a Midas, most people talk about Midas shops like the plague :P But good to hear you found a good one. Wow you went through a lot of trouble to find the best one, good for you, better for me now I dont need to do it too =] How much did the install run you? Looks like a simple axle back install.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the shop info; surprised you went to a Midas, most people talk about Midas shops like the plague :P But good to hear you found a good one. Wow you went through a lot of trouble to find the best one, good for you, better for me now I dont need to do it too =] How much did the install run you? Looks like a simple axle back install.
Yeah, I have heard too many automotive repair horror stories....So, for my own piece of mind, I always do a background check on shops or businesses before I spend my hard earned money on there services or goods, it will save me from any problems or headaches, if any.

As for the installation, I only paid $107, and that included a 10% online coupon...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
..... We need to meet up so I can hear that exhaust. As well as check out all your other Dinan goodies. Thanks for the post
Count me in on the get together, I also would like to see/hear your upgrades. Did you notice any weight difference between the oem and Dinan exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Count me in on the get together, I also would like to see/hear your upgrades. Did you notice any weight difference between the oem and Dinan exhaust?
Sounds like a plan for a get together...and about see/hearing my upgrades.. it's total madness...LOL... I look forward to meeting with you guys and seeing all of your cars as well....

Also, I did not notice any difference in weight between the two exhaust systems...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 02:00 AM   #12
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

wait they didnt weild the muffler in place. But instead put clamps?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #13
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Clamps are what most companies provide for their exhaust installs, unless its a custom install of a muffler not specifically made for the car clamps get the job done just fine. Also easier to remove later on, some people weld it cause they are paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #14
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

What the Zealot said.

Clamps, flanges and bolts, welding, all gets the job done. Some less permanent and clamps/bolted flanges are easier should you want to change the entire exhaust later so it doesn't have to be hacked apart with a Sawzall to remove.

I'm jealous... I've had my Dinan muffler in my basement for a year and still haven't had a chance to get it installed. Oh well, this spring. It goes on with the Supersprint headers!
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
What the Zealot said.

Clamps, flanges and bolts, welding, all gets the job done. Some less permanent and clamps/bolted flanges are easier should you want to change the entire exhaust later so it doesn't have to be hacked apart with a Sawzall to remove.

I'm jealous... I've had my Dinan muffler in my basement for a year and still haven't had a chance to get it installed. Oh well, this spring. It goes on with the Supersprint headers!
No need to be jealous, and don't feel bad.. because when I had bought accessories for the car, it also had sat for weeks, or even months in my garage until I had the time to the install them....and just for laughs, when the instructions had indicated the install will take an hour or so, sometimes I multiply that time by a factor of 2 or 3... (can't help from the snacking and drinking in between)...

and for your SS headers...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 02:05 AM   #16
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
I've had my Dinan muffler in my basement for a year and still haven't had a chance to get it installed.!
In that case why dont you ship it over my way, I'll get it welded on now and come spring it'll be a cinch to get off I'll even pay for shipping Cant wait to see a video of your car with the headers + exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I'll probably do it in stages so I can get a feel for the difference.

Muffler first, then headers + cats a few weeks later.

If anyone is interested in seeing dynos on the power gains, I'd be happy to get some dyno runs if everyone wants to pitch in for the costs! :P
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

sound clips please.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #19
GQTony81
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 Coupe

hey bimmerzealot do you know if the exhaust will fit the post-facelift non-m Z? I have the same Z as u except the coupe and want to get the dinan exhaust but it only shows that its for the pre-facelift model...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 03:54 AM   #20
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Dont think it will fit, not sure though. Give Dinan a call and they should be able to tell you for sure, pretty sure they are different. How close are you to San Jose ?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #21
NJREDZ06
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4, 2004 545i, 2004 MCS

Garage List
2008 Z4  [7.00]
2008 Z4  [8.00]
2008 Z4 3.0i  [4.00]
How much was the exhaust? What vendor did you purchase from?

I emailed Flemington BMW which supposedly sponsors the NJ BMW CCA but they emailed me back - discounts do not apply to Dinan stuff and the muffler was $999 + 115 labor

I laughed because the Dinan website has it at $799.00
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #22
SupraSkylineSTI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen

Will this exhaust work on the 06 + Models ?
Appreciate 0