ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
303 Aerospace Protectant

When I bought my 303 Fabric Guard for the vert, have not yet applied, I also bought the Aerospace Protectant. I just got a new windshield cowl and wanted to give it maximum UV protection before installing. Now that I've applied every surface on the cowl, I've noticed that the reviews and recommendations say that it really needs "buffed in" to really bond to the plastic....Here's the Q...Has anyone used this product ( or similar plastic protorants in the heavy pebbled surface of the Z4M ( not sure if Z4's share same door panels ) interior. I feel like once applied into the crevices, I will not be able to wipe it down, even with the microfiber.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
I've used it on my Z4 M with no issues for years. I spray it liberally onto the microfiber cloth, then wipe the surface with the cloth. It works itself into the surface just fine that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
mckenna4978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' BMW z4mr-A08

I use it for the convt top which is an awesome fabric protectant w/no problems. +1 for aerospace
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      02-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Aerospace for the fabric on the top ? I looked at a lot of info from various sources and don't think I saw any mention of convertible fabric tops. Did you use a water proof product previous to using Aerospace ?... My ten year old cowl was faded, and the edge along the glass was missing various chunks here and there. Upon first sight of the car previous to buying, I knew it was going to get replaced and used its condition in negotiating price. Although I was not looking for shine out of this product, I had read that applying 2-3 coats, helps bring more luster, with some serious buffing with a microfiber in between coats. It's true. First I wiped every surface, top and bottom, with a small piece of and old white T shirt. That way I was not wasting much product, probably did 3 full wipe downs, no buffing. Then several days later, applied another coat, then microfiber buffed. Man what a difference ! The buffing really made a big difference. Of course I had not buffed at first, but I really wanted this stuff to " soak " in. I had read this method on a detailer site. I detail for my side hustle. So I'm always searching for better products and methods of application. The cowl has 2 different types of surfaces flat and ever so slightly textured. After the second treatment, using the microfiber, the more I buffed, the better the shine and I felt the product was really bonding with the plastic. Both surfaces came out nice, with the textured really seeming to have a slight shine and increased darker shade....This is something I wont be able to do with the deeply grooved " pebbled " door panels. However good to know Antenahead that you have been using it for years and like the results. I have used a soft brush, mild cleaner/water mix and cleaned all the crud on the doors. One of the features of Aerospace I like best is it does not attract dust/dirt like all of the silicone based products out there. I'm going to clean then treat every surface of the interior. The top, well I'm going to spray/brush with the 303 Fabric Guard for now, my water repellency is just OK. Good to know that Aerospace is good for a quick wipe on top coat down the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
mckenna4978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' BMW z4mr-A08

http://www.autogeek.net/303fabricguard.html

They make a fabric top guard as well.
McKenna4978
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I just posted my 303 Fabric Guard post and finally figured how to add pics of the proper size/format. My water beading is better, but I was not blown away by the results after I got caught in the rain this week.
Yesterday I used the 303 AP over most of the interior of my car. I like the way it goes on, seems to penetrate the plastic and does not look shiney. It is supposed to repel fingerprints, dust and dirt. The Z4M has deep pebbly groves in the door panels. I was advised to just wipe it in with a microfiber, which I did. I basically gave everything 2-3 medium coats. I did not buff off ( YET ) This product loves to be buffed into the plastic. I also gave 2-3 heavy coats on all the weather seals where the top meets the car. Today, if it stops raining, I will wipe on a final light coat to all areas and (THEN) finish with a good buffing with a microfiber. Using this method, I achieved great results on my new cowl, which I installed after my new windshield was installed. I'm looking at breaking my glass, while removing wiper arm as a positive. ( free replacement with FL Ins law ) I got new OEM windshield trim included with glass. My old glass had several rock chips. Removing the old cowl and having a lot of time till the SECOND windshield was installed, gave me the time to super detail under the cowl. ( first glass piece was found to be defective during install ) This area had not seen the light of day since 2006. I took the water catches out, cleaned, 303 AP all parts, bought all new plastic rivets, 2 new wire harnesses that fit into the bottom of the cowl and new wiper arm nut covers from the Stealership for less than $ 20. Plus I paint sealed all the painted areas under the cowl as well as where old trim was. Having Safelight come right here to the house was key. As the installer was a "car guy " so we did a little dance from one side of the car to the other during the install as I wiped/cleaned/detailed parts that will never be able to be cleaned again with the glass/cowl installed. I also wiped in about 4 thick coats of 303 AP in the front of the dash that is up against the windshield, while it was out. I super cleaned the VIN display plate, which was very dusty. Had I opted to take it to the glass shop, non of this could have been possible, it was what I wanted when I chose to have the install done here.

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 02-20-2017 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Epwebb64
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe

Only stuff ive EVER used. Nothing better. Period. Vert top looks new and repels water. Also use 303 on all onterior except leather. If it was good enough for the space shuttle is good enough for my car
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
Carnifex
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
Yeah, I just posted my 303 Fabric Guard post and finally figured how to add pics of the proper size/format. My water beading is better, but I was not blown away by the results after I got caught in the rain this week.
Yesterday I used the 303 AP over most of the interior of my car. I like the way it goes on, seems to penetrate the plastic and does not look shiney. It is supposed to repel fingerprints, dust and dirt. The Z4M has deep pebbly groves in the door panels. I was advised to just wipe it in with a microfiber, which I did. I basically gave everything 2-3 medium coats. I did not buff off ( YET ) This product loves to be buffed into the plastic. I also gave 2-3 heavy coats on all the weather seals where the top meets the car. Today, if it stops raining, I will wipe on a final light coat to all areas and (THEN) finish with a good buffing with a microfiber. Using this method, I achieved great results on my new cowl, which I installed after my new windshield was installed. I'm looking at breaking my glass, while removing wiper arm as a positive. I got new OEM windshield trim included with glass. My old glass had several rock chips. Removing the old cowl and having a lot of time till the SECOND windshield was installed, gave me the time to super detail under the cowl. ( first glass piece was found to be defective during install ) This area had not seen the light of day since 2006. I took the water catches out, cleaned, 303 AP all parts, bought all new plastic rivets, 2 new wire harnesses that fit into the bottom of the cowl and new wiper arm nut covers from the Stealership for less than $ 20. Plus I paint sealed all the painted areas under the cowl as well as where old trim was. Having Safelight come right here to the house was key. As the installer was a "car guy " so we did a little dance from one side of the car to the other during the install as I wiped/cleaned/detailed parts that will never be able to be cleaned again with the glass/cowl installed. I also wiped in about 4 thick coats of 303 AP in the front of the dash that is up against the windshield, while it was out. I super cleaned the VIN display plate, which was very dusty. Had I opted to take it to the glass shop, non of this could have been possible, it was what I wanted when I chose to have the install done here.
How did you break the windshield? I need to replace my cowl as well. I've heard the wipers can be a bitch to get off.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:33 AM   #9
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
There is a thread called " Remove Windshield Wiper Arms " and yes, using a mini crowbar I picked up at The Dollar Store, I braced the bar on the edge of the glass and cracked it. I bought a cheap online wiper arm puller, but could not get it to fit, I applied PB blaster 5 different times using a Q-tip to put it on the bolt....they are a bitch
      02-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #10
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Additional note on the 303 Aerospace Protectant. My 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid, has typical black trim. Textured plastic windshield cowl, hard smooth window trim and some rubber black accent pieces. I did a good wash and applied 303 AP to all these surfaces, as well as the tires. Last night was typical dewy here in Fl in mid Feb. As I looked at my car this AM, the 303 had oily looking runs in it, was mottled and generally looked terrible. This afternoon I microfiber buffed out all the imperfections. It smoothed out fairly easily. I used a very small amount of 303 to help in smoothing a uniform look. I can only think of two reasons this happened. 1) I did not strip out all the silicone based cleaners previously used, so the 303 sat on top of them and then with the water in the overnight dew, it started to run. 2) I applied it too thick and did not buff it in afterward. It is a water based product, so maybe since the dew was only a couple hours after applying it combined with the 303. I have read some that people have noticed this product " offgassing " and getting onto glass, running onto paint and just generally not staying put. My final buffing dulled the look somewhat, which is fine by me. Hopefully it will be smooth in the AM. The tires looked great, darker and just a matte finish.