ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
z3speed4me
Need a replacement.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Headers Fit???

WILL THESE MAYBEEEEE fit in our car?? i know they changed some stuff regarding our exhaust in comparison to the m3 / mz3, but are the headers EXACTLY the same, will these fit? bc i want to buy them like right now!!

http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...VO.EXH.B46.H01
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
ricerx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

They should fit and look like they fit. The Z4 M actually has more room then the M3 inside the engine bay. I bought some no name headers off ebay for the m3 and those fit just fine. Only thing i think you have to worry about is the O2 sensor positioning. The 2 extra holes on my headers for the post cat O2, one would hit the transmission and the other will hit the control arm. The front header section looks like no problem but I cant see where the o2 holes are for the rear header section.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
chaforjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Black M Coupe

yep, the m3 headers fit our car - ask ricerx1 for details...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
z3speed4me
Need a replacement.
United_States
Rep

i am wondering if there are gains to be had like on the m3 or mz3 though

i know if you did upgraded headers on those cars or euro headers, there were huge gains, is it the same for us??? or not so much...

i know our exhaust is less restrictive, but what about before the exhaust portion, are the headers exactly as in part number, the same as the m3???

i really dont wanna buy headers and see no power difference, and only just hear an audible difference, thats basically what i am saying

is it me.... or ARE these the evo sport ones i posted above, hahaha they look exact, and are 1000 less!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04...spagenameZWDVW

ricerx1 do you have a dyno of before / after headers? i am interested in seeing what they did

edit: didnt see the post, but i found it, i really dont want a check engine light... theres NO way to get the sensors in; its really that close??? that is the only thing I am worried about, and the whole 02 simulator thing, i have read about but personally i have ABSOLUTELY NO idea how thats actually done to try it myself... so unless someone could help me with that, this probably wont get done

Last edited by z3speed4me; 09-20-2007 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
ricerx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry i Don't have dyno numbers sorry. But I'll try to get some Gtech numbers for ChaforJohn's car when he stops being cheap to buy 200 dollar headers. I know the Gtech is not accurate but its accurate enough to measure gains and loss as I've used one for tuning a car before. But there is a definite power difference. Its understandable that an exhaust will yield low power increases because the stock exhaust is already pretty straight through design. Most of the restriction comes from the cats, and headers get rid of the cat, so there will be a power increase, probably even more if you remove the main cats as well. On a M3 I've seen gains as high as 20whp from using a supersprint headers and intermediate pipe, meaning no cats.

You'll like the sound of it also =)

Yea i heard there were evosport copies also floating on ebay but I dont know the quality of it. Believe it or not there are bad and good quality fakes haha.

For the post cat o2 sensors you can just weld 2 new o2 bungs on the intermediate pipe and use a o2 sensor spacer (made from a sparkplug fouler) or they sell them on ebay as well. This will get rid of the service engine soon light as most m3 guys say. Yea the light is really annoying to look at. I'll be doing this probally sometime next week as I don't have much time this weekned.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
z3speed4me
Need a replacement.
United_States
Rep

last question.... are they 60mm or 63.5mm, bc that will change which set of supersprint midpipes i buy, bc there are 2 different ones which depend on the actual size of the header piping on the exhaust side, gather they are 60 bc you hooked it right up to the stock midpipe correct???

and by the way which ebay headers were they, i see like 50 of em, and they ALL look the same so I dont see how there could be good and bad ones, bc they looks exactly similar to me...

maybe point out one or 2 that you "think" might be better, or show me the exact ones that you got... i really wanna get ceramic ones though, and all the ceramics look EXACTLY like the evosport..... how "bad" could they really be?

any sound / video clips you have with the new headers... wondering what they sound like
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
unionjack
Conceited Prick
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe previously

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
BMW uses the same header on the M3s are our cars. Same p/n and everything.

AW/IR | Premium Package | Heated Seats | Navigation | Valentine One | Shorty Antenna | Black Kidney Surrounds
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
ricerx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yea they hooked up the the stock midpipe so they should be 60mm the 63.5mm is for the supersprint step headers i think.

The headers i got were the JVT Ebay ones. They were $200 but from the m3 boards I read that these were the ones to get.

I'll try to get a video clip once I can find someone to help me or if anyone in Orange County wanna volunteer to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3speed4me View Post
last question.... are they 60mm or 63.5mm, bc that will change which set of supersprint midpipes i buy, bc there are 2 different ones which depend on the actual size of the header piping on the exhaust side, gather they are 60 bc you hooked it right up to the stock midpipe correct???

and by the way which ebay headers were they, i see like 50 of em, and they ALL look the same so I dont see how there could be good and bad ones, bc they looks exactly similar to me...

maybe point out one or 2 that you "think" might be better, or show me the exact ones that you got... i really wanna get ceramic ones though, and all the ceramics look EXACTLY like the evosport..... how "bad" could they really be?

any sound / video clips you have with the new headers... wondering what they sound like
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Dirfm01
Rep
Drives: Saphire Black 2006 Z4M Coupe

I have been told that the Z4M Euro headers are a great upgrade and simply bolt on. Not sure about pricing, but they are an original part and fall under the original warranty...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

If I were you, I'd go to realoem.com and check the part numbers on the Z4M and the M3 for the headers, if they're the same, you should be good to go.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
unionjack
Conceited Prick
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe previously

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
If I were you, I'd go to realoem.com and check the part numbers on the Z4M and the M3 for the headers, if they're the same, you should be good to go.
They are. See my last post.

AW/IR | Premium Package | Heated Seats | Navigation | Valentine One | Shorty Antenna | Black Kidney Surrounds
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Seeing is believing...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

In regards to aftermarket headers, you can just put the front O2 sensors in, have the exhaust shop weld in a pair of high flow cats (your car remains street legal this way), and weld in 2 new o2 sensor bungs behind the cats. O2 sensors can be extended with a wiring kit, or cutting and extending yourself with some wires from Radio Shack (don't forget to shrink wrap it to keep out the moisture).
Don't nix the cats. The gain without them is probably 2-3hp, your exhaust is going to reek of gasoline and its just a big ticket waiting to happen. Highflow cats from Catco are fairly affordable at around $150 each. They are quality cats and I've had no problems passing emissions tests on my Jetta with this cat. Most importantly, you won't get a check engine light as a result of the rear o2 sensors.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
ricerx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't know about the other Z4's for the Z4M comes with 4 catalytic converters. 2 in the headers and 2 in the mid pipe.

Welding a high flow cat behind the headers won't be smog legal while making still pass smog chances are most cars will still pass smog sniffer with the pre cats removed. The reason why the pre cats are so far forward is for warm up reasons and allow them to warm up faster and start working faster.

And I already fixed the the SES (service engine soon) Light. Just involved removing the headers again *ARGH* And welding 2 new o2 bungs on the headers and using a O2 sensor spacer. No performance difference with the SES light on or off.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #15
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerx1 View Post
I don't know about the other Z4's for the Z4M comes with 4 catalytic converters. 2 in the headers and 2 in the mid pipe.

Welding a high flow cat behind the headers won't be smog legal while making still pass smog chances are most cars will still pass smog sniffer with the pre cats removed. The reason why the pre cats are so far forward is for warm up reasons and allow them to warm up faster and start working faster.

And I already fixed the the SES (service engine soon) Light. Just involved removing the headers again *ARGH* And welding 2 new o2 bungs on the headers and using a O2 sensor spacer. No performance difference with the SES light on or off.
An interesting thing to note is that on the Euro mid-section, there is one pipe with a cat and one pipe without. Is this the same on the US Spec mid-sections? I'm considering ordering both the Euro headers and mid-section to maintain my warranty. If I do, I'll get a price for those in the US that might be interested. I would be willing to ship a couple sets if anyone else is interested. I did something similar with my M6 friends stateside with Euro headlamps and sun visors...
Appreciate 0