ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #23
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

The ONLY real reason that I personally would do this is........... because when I open my Z4M hood to show off the BMW Motorsports motor, I can point to the CF Motorsports intake and tell some very cool bullshit BMW Motorsports stories that I will totally fabricate and somehow include my own personal racing experiences (which I have none) but I will come off totally Motorsports-ish.

And girls are attracted to carbon fibre stuff.......... just like they are to diamonds. Yeah, that's the tickety.
Appreciate 3
Vanne1591.50
ried791.50
ZAR4MC93.00
      05-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #24
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
The ONLY real reason that I personally would do this is........... because when I open my Z4M hood to show off the BMW Motorsports motor, I can point to the CF Motorsports intake and tell some very cool bullshit BMW Motorsports stories that I will totally fabricate and somehow include my own personal racing experiences (which I have none) but I will come off totally Motorsports-ish.

And girls are attracted to carbon fibre stuff.......... just like they are to diamonds. Yeah, that's the tickety.
Hahahaha. Good one
      05-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #25
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I have Evolve CSL airbox installed with Alpha N tune. What I noticed is the acceleration is more responsive. HP gain is there if you have a Euro setup on the exhaust side. The installed is not complicated but we do need to modified a few things for NA Z4Ms. There are few have SES 2FDA fault code. Evolve provided a final flash to turn that off. I wasn't happy with the workaround but it is difficult for a company to figure out why few have issue out of many using the same software. I finally fixed the 2FDA fault this passed weekend but need more seat time to confirm.

PCV hose need, the larger hose on top, needs modification. The one Evolve supplied is not the same. OEM hose is not long enough to reach the airbox fitting.

Here is a better picture of the connection.

We need to splice MAF to use IAT.

Overall, I am very happy with this mod. The intake is very distinct.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #26
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

is that the normal position of your IAT probe? normally is in the main chamber.
      05-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #27
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
is that the normal position of your IAT probe? normally is in the main chamber.
Evolve have the hole predrill on the snorkel. I follow this DIY to figure which wire to tab. You see he have it in the airbox where fresh air entered. I think this location provide the most accurate reading for incoming air.

http://m3support.net/thread/200/e46-...r-relocate-s54
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #28
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Evolve have the hole predrill on the snorkel. I follow this DIY to figure which wire to tab. You see he have it in the airbox where fresh air entered. I think this location provide the most accurate reading for incoming air.

http://m3support.net/thread/200/e46-...r-relocate-s54
Yep, best to get the iat as far away from the engine as you can, this will minimise any heatsoak issues. Mine is located in a similar position.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #29
TurboDream17
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Coupe

Seems like I've read about a lot of Evolve tune issues over the years (not being able to heel-toe, stuttering/low RPM idle) -- any consensus on which tune is the best available (zero issues)?
///M Coupe - Volk TE37's 19x10.5R +22 19x8.5F +30 | KW V3 w/ Clubsport rear springs | RPi exhaust | Autosolutions SSK | RE transmission mounts | RE RSM's | Vibra-Technics engine mounts | RPi scoop | RPi skid plates | Tekarbon spoiler | Apex wheel studs | Blox burnt titanium lug nuts | UUC Front 27mm Swaybarbarian | Status Gruppe adjustable front links | EAS Blacked out kidneys | Full Beisan Vanos Refresh
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #30
TurboDream17
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Also, so my understanding is correct, the Evolve box is the only "z4m specific" unit available that reaches to the slam panel (i.e. doesn't suck in air from the hot engine bay)?

Anybody have any empirical evidence to suggest this makes a difference? There's a 2X price discrepancy between the Evolve and Karbonius...
///M Coupe - Volk TE37's 19x10.5R +22 19x8.5F +30 | KW V3 w/ Clubsport rear springs | RPi exhaust | Autosolutions SSK | RE transmission mounts | RE RSM's | Vibra-Technics engine mounts | RPi scoop | RPi skid plates | Tekarbon spoiler | Apex wheel studs | Blox burnt titanium lug nuts | UUC Front 27mm Swaybarbarian | Status Gruppe adjustable front links | EAS Blacked out kidneys | Full Beisan Vanos Refresh
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #31
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDream17 View Post
Also, so my understanding is correct, the Evolve box is the only "z4m specific" unit available that reaches to the slam panel (i.e. doesn't suck in air from the hot engine bay)?

Anybody have any empirical evidence to suggest this makes a difference? There's a 2X price discrepancy between the Evolve and Karbonius...
More info on this thread.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342648
Appreciate 1
FD3S69.50
      05-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #32
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Quote:

The only z4m specific carbon airbox is GOKE. Soon I believe Karbonius will have also a snorkel specific for our cars. I haven't seen the quality of Evolve but Karbonius are like OEM and at some places better in my opinion.

Also one other factor that I have decided to go with Karbonius was that it can be easily resold to M3 cars except the Z4M's. Price was my last concern since that motor costs a lot...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #33
TurboDream17
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
The only z4m specific carbon airbox is GOKE. Soon I believe Karbonius will have also a snorkel specific for our cars. I haven't seen the quality of Evolve but Karbonius are like OEM and at some places better in my opinion.

Also one other factor that I have decided to go with Karbonius was that it can be easily resold to M3 cars except the Z4M's. Price was my last concern since that motor costs a lot...
Are you running a snorkel with your Karbonius, or just pulling air from the engine bay?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #34
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

to be totally honest, those snorkels going down and connecting up to your OEM Z4M intake hole, youll be getting about 1/8th of the air that this intake can handle and pretty much useless in that regard. have you actually seen the size of the oem intake hole? its super tiny. Sure it will be cold air, but that's about it, youll be strangling the intake.

My next project is to provide a good air intake for the snorkel.
      05-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #35
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you running a snorkel with your Karbonius, or just pulling air from the engine bay?
I have it without the snorkel. I would like later on to have something more custom developed for my car than the M3 snorkel Karbonius has up to the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #36
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
to be totally honest, those snorkels going down and connecting up to your OEM Z4M intake hole, youll be getting about 1/8th of the air that this intake can handle and pretty much useless in that regard. have you actually seen the size of the oem intake hole? its super tiny. Sure it will be cold air, but that's about it, youll be strangling the intake.

Vanne considering that the OEM intake is originally designed from BMW to provide enough air for S54 engines I believe is enough. Am I wrong?

I guess if we find a way to supply more air to this motor the results will be Epic.

Since this is my next project too, would you like to join our forces?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #37
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
Vanne considering that the OEM intake is originally designed from BMW to provide enough air for S54 engines I believe is enough. Am I wrong?

I guess if we find a way to supply more air to this motor the results will be Epic.

Since this is my next project too, would you like to join our forces?
Rumor has it that Karbonius is working on a Z4M specific snorkel.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #38
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Rumor has it that Karbonius is working on a Z4M specific snorkel.
Probably my car will be the test car.
I am sure that Vanne can help a lot on this project with his valuable feedback since he is much more knowledgable about the car than me.

Last edited by FD3S; 05-27-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #39
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I really don't think the actual size of the intake hole is that important (within reason of course), it's more about the volume of air surrounding the trumpets, however I am no flow dynamisist. Bear in mind the bumper entry of the CSL is smaller than the z4s (it is my understanding that this is where the majority of the air is sucked from due to the oem csl flap). The Z4 entry also seems to be able to supply more than enough air for supercharged cars.
Mine has dynoed over 380bhp on one I know to be fairly accurate so I think to say using that intake is useless is slightly misguided I'd say.
Probably also worth noting that a lot of the e46 m3 race cars with carbon airbox route directly to the box from one of the headlights, a not dissimilar size to the z4 slam panel intake.
Attached Images

Last edited by MOTK; 05-28-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:50 AM   #40
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

thanks for the pics MOTK, , i appreciate them, see the stock z4m intake size that comes through the nose wall, It's about a 1/3 of that size of the headlight intake in your picture.
And that's not even talking about the 90 degree corners it takes as it goes from the scoop (if you even have a scoop) to the exit through the the nose wall. I have some pics somewhere I should dig up.

That headlight intake is awesome, and along the lines of what I would like to develop for our cars I already have sourced an old headlight which i will use as a mould. but sadly this will take time as work is owning my butt atm. I also have a nice carbon tube which i hope to mate with the headlight...

Btw, the OEM CSL snork flap is closed only at idle/below 3k rpm, and yeah oem Z4 air hole at that rpm that will provide enough flow at this stage, when that flap opens, it's a whole different ball game. the flap is there predominantly for noise. Once it opens, it's there to let as much air in as possible. (Within reason of course)

Edit: not meaning to say its useless, just less than optimal, and if your getting one of these intakes, i would imagine your going with optimal, otherwise you might as well have stayed with your OEM intake, which as FD3S correctly pointed out is very nicely optimised by the BMW M factory to provide an excellent intake source for the MAF requirements of those maps, which our CSL intakes don't have.

Last edited by Vanne; 05-31-2018 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #41
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Btw, the OEM CSL snork flap is closed only at idle/below 3k rpm, and yeah oem Z4 air hole at that rpm that will provide enough flow at this stage, when that flap opens, it's a whole different ball game. the flap is there predominantly for noise. Once it opens, it's there to let as much air in as possible. (Within reason of course)
Out of curiosity, the M3 CSL what kind of ram air does it have? Because I don't have a clue about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:22 AM   #42
MOTK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the pics MOTK, , i appreciate them, see the stock z4m intake size that comes through the nose wall, It's about a 1/3 of that size of the headlight intake in your picture.
Don't worry about the pictures mate, I've had a glance or two at the intake over the last 3 years as have I seen the M3 racecar in the shop i use which uses a similar arrangement. There's really not that much of a difference in size of the intake hole, I can take some better pictures of it if that helps you.
In any case what I was trying to say is that the initial entry size of the hole is not that important, indeed when the car was last on the dyno and made 383bhp it still had the restrictive oem scoop rather than the rpi I have now, the tuner was clear that there was no issue with enough air flowing to the box.. I've noticed no difference since fitting the rpi unsurprisingly to me.

Quote:
And that's not even talking about the 90 degree corners it takes as it goes from the scoop (if you even have a scoop) to the exit through the the nose wall. I have some pics somewhere I should dig up.
Bit confused about this statement as both air intakes from the bumper and the grill also have similar 90 degree corners in the original CSL application?

As I said though I am no flow dynamisist, I'd love to know the calculations you used for this statement...?
Quote:
Btw, the OEM CSL snork flap is closed only at idle/below 3k rpm, and yeah oem Z4 air hole at that rpm that will provide enough flow at this stage.

Quote:
Edit: not meaning to say its useless, just less than optimal, and if your getting one of these intakes, i would imagine your going with optimal, otherwise you might as well have stayed with your OEM intake, which as FD3S correctly pointed out is very nicely optimised by the BMW M factory to provide an excellent intake source for the MAF requirements of those maps, which our CSL intakes don't have.
In my opinion if you really want to be running this intake 'optimally' as you say, you'd be better off figuring out how to run the box with correct CSL map sensor rather than the bodge we currently have of using alpha-n, a very flawed approach unfortunately. Certainly more important than worrying about increasing the size of the intake hole by an inch or so. Just my 2c.
As I'm not sure if that's possible I have concentrated on what I know to be important for getting alpha-n to work well which is to have a good supply of cold air and making sure the IAT probe reports this air temperature accurately (i.e. not suffering from any heatsoak to give false readings for the table).
I look forward to seeing your headlight/carbon tube mod and the results you see from it...
MC IB, CSL intake, Schrick 288/280 cams, SS race bbox, RPI, AP f&r w/RSL-29, Apex ARC-8, A048, KW CS, Turner arms & RTAB limiters, VT engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6s, custom half cage, UUC ssk, M5 knob, oem strutbrace
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #43
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Bumper? Not talking about the CSL bumper hole intake, I am talking about the headlight intake you posted vs our tiny oem intake.

The e46 CSL bumper intake, is pretty much on par with our oem intake hole. Oh and even the CSL bumper hole intake doesn't do the 90 degree corner flow.

Not sure what your looking at, but it's not chalk and cheese, the holes were talking about are about 30 percent compared to the headlight hole intake that you posted, that's what I was and have been referring to all along. Nothing to do with the CSL placement of the iat sensor, thats a completely different subject.

Please post up a picture of the size of your snorkel where it connects up to the OEM Z4 intake hole. I think I made a reference to that when I posted up the" how to" install the CSL intake on the Z4. Flow dynamics? Nfi, but just looking at the restrictions the OEM intake hole gives, doesn't look to me that it flows that nicely.

Please take a look at any of the race prepped z4m motor sport cars, and have a look at how they have the air intakes set.

They pretty much cover the WHOLE frontal area.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #44
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Please take a look at any of the race prepped z4m motor sport cars, and have a look at how they have the air intakes set.

They pretty much cover the WHOLE frontal area.

WTF is this???

What is the purpose of those 2 huge holes? And where is the radiator?
Appreciate 0