ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #155
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
Lucid to answer your question. YES: If he or she has been on a track all their lives ...yes. If my kid was used that kind of power. The M is a very drivable daily car. If my kid had only driver's ed...obviously no..not only to the M but to even the corolla..until I know they are capable and responsible. I'm not going to raise more points or argue more...just time consuming arguing with you and seems pointless. You're not the only engineer on this thread...but I don't go assuming your ignorance or such...you and a few other members have said such things as you're wrong or you don't have a M1 license... blah blah blah. I'm not the type to argue just to argue, so I'm going to stop now.
Yes, I think you are wrong on several accounts. The reason I am taking the time to state this is because things like this are more likely to happen when people do as you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
I thought of this thread was started as what Diokaef had mentioned for SSKE92 to get things off his chest and what I read was people commenting about his parents decision making. Really annoying crap. I shouldn't have commented and just let it be. My intent was to steer people away from these diatribes.
And you did that by saying, "If I had a kid..I would rather give him or her a sport bike than a scooter or moped."

And then when people (not me initially) disagreed, by claiming they didn't have "common sense"?

Did you actually read what you wrote?

I didn't say anything about my background, which is irrelevant. I am merely responding to what you wrote because of the reason I gave above.

This is a discussion forum. On a controversial topic such as this one, there will be strong opinions because these issues affect the safety of all of us. I don't know the OP's specific set of intentions for starting this thread, but once it started, people are free to voice opinion as long as it is related to what has been posted. That said, it is a private site, and the admins can intervene if they want.

This is not "nobody's business" as claimed by Diakoeff because whatever happened happened on a public road. It is ironic that one of his responses to the incident (while trying to shut the discussion down) was "S**** happens," and his sig says, "Speed limits only exist if you get caught." Is that what he would say if he were to lose a family member in such an accident?

This is all very real for the OP, and the passanger, who seems to be fortunately getting better, which I am really glad to hear about. But it is not truly real for people who haven't been affected by something similar. My guess is you would think very differently about most of what you said if you had been touched by something similar personally. I am in no way claiming you don't care, but I am pointing out that one's degree of proximity of something like this changes one's viewpoint on all of this. Unfortunately, I am saying that as someone who has gone through such a transformation.
I don't disagree or agree with you, the only thing that I have to mention is that we could keep this thread clean. I would however be delighted to enter in this conversation in a very personal level with you, if you were to open a separated thread for discussions. Also ironic or not, I do not race or put people in danger on the street, but I do not go by speed limits since they are there for only one reason....,(open for a new thread if you like to get deep on this matter)

SSKE92 I really wish Carlos get better soon, also I was wondering if was Carlos that I met in California with you?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #156
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokaef View Post
I don't disagree or agree with you, the only thing that I have to mention is that we could keep this thread clean. I would however be delighted to enter in this conversation in a very personal level with you, if you were to open a separated thread for discussions. Also ironic or not, I do not race or put people in danger on the street, but I do not go by speed limits since they are there for only one reason....,(open for a new thread if you like to get deep on this matter)

SSKE92 I really wish Carlos get better soon, also I was wondering if was Carlos that I met in California with you?
I think this thread is pretty clean actually. Nobody showed disrespect for the people involved as far as I can tell. I never claimed you "race" on public roads. Just quoted what you wrote. If you want to discuss how speed limits on narrow twisty public roads don't have anything to do with public safety, which seems to be what you are implying, shoot me a PM.
      04-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #157
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Gio- I believe you met Huan.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #158
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSKE92 View Post
Gio- I believe you met Huan.
Yeah I remember now. ;(
Things will get better man.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #159
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Happy to hear Carlos is doing alright.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #160
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokaef View Post

I think this thread is pretty clean actually. Nobody showed disrespect for the people involved as far as I can tell. I never claimed you "race" on public roads. Just quoted what you wrote. If you want to discuss how speed limits on narrow twisty public roads don't have anything to do with public safety, which seems to be what you are implying, shoot me a PM.
Okay I will talk about that. I opened a thread called ring of polemics that we can use for the matter. we may find that opinions will be different in some topics but equal in others. And we can really talk there since no ones life is on the line.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #161
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Quote:
I got to see Carlos for the first time since the accident. He was in great shape. They just reduced his medication and will be taking him out of the Coma over the next few days. I've been spending a lot of time with his 3 siblings this week to keep their minds off things and get them out of the house. He has a very kind and loving family, I love them like my own.
Terrific news. Hope things keep progressing well!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #162
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Sorry about your friend and your car. Glad he is doing better.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #163
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

sske92: you are a stand-up guy, and your humility and responsibility will carry you far in life. i pray that your friend does well, and that you get through this whole episode stronger for it!

i would just make a comment on car control in this circumstance. as you state, your car would not turn once you started braking. as you may know, when you have spent your "budget" of traction, you have to find traction first before you can expect to control the car again.

once you are sliding, both feet in and leave the road as straight as possible is usually best. the fact that your car shot back across the road once the rears got back on the pavement means that you were working hard to save the situation by countersteering and applying a good bit of throttle. this, i would guess, added quite a bit to your speed at the point of impact.

this brings me to two opinions i would make, one about cars and one about autocross.

first, the m coupe is pretty tail-happy. as we all know, the auto industry is steadily engineering oversteer out of cars. i think learning to oversteer and handle oversteer is the most fun and rewarding part of learning car control, but such things are obviously only appropriately learned on a track. for youths and 99.9% of the population, fwd or awd cars that are practically incapable of oversteer are safer.

second, i think that autocross does not improve road safety. autocross is full of abrupt car inputs. there are no consequences: if you have an off, there is no penalty but to your time. in this case, i wonder if your autocross experience inspired you to try to make a save that wasn't realistic.

track driving i feel improves road safety: you learn to raise your vision far ahead, you learn gradual inputs, you learn to catch and save, you learn to keep the damn car straight until you have enough traction to turn. offs are not usually dangerous, but often result in some cosmetic or suspension damage.

most of all, since i do the occasional track day, i drive like a grandma around town. street driving is so much tamer than track that punching it and tracking out on an onramp no longer holds any appeal.

i know it will likely be months or years before you feel like driving in anything resembling a "spirited" fashion again, but there's no reason why you can't continue to enjoy cars and motorsports! thank you for being a role model: i have gotten my 13 year old son to read this thread as an example of how to handle adversity.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #164
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

R32: well said.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, remember this:
  1. Clutch to the floor.
  2. No brakes.
  3. No Gas.
  4. Steer the car to clean pavement. (She will be very sluggish to respond, but she will!!)
  5. Then use the brakes.

Keep your chin up!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #165
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
I got to see Carlos for the first time since the accident. He was in great shape. They just reduced his medication and will be taking him out of the Coma over the next few days. I've been spending a lot of time with his 3 siblings this week to keep their minds off things and get them out of the house. He has a very kind and loving family, I love them like my own.
That's good to hear.

By the way.. can you edit your OP when you have updates? Hard to search through all the posts to dig out yours. That'll make it much easier for some of us whom are following this thread more sporadically.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #166
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

Ya, I'm usually on my phone so no editing

Carlos got his brain activity monitors removed. He's moving around a lot, somewhat responsive to touch and directions. Looking great
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:38 AM   #167
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

Quote:
Ya, I'm usually on my phone so no editing

Carlos got his brain activity monitors removed. He's moving around a lot, somewhat responsive to touch and directions. Looking great
good news!!!!

glad he is alright man
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #168
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 15 i3, 17 M3 Frz Wht

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i  [7.00]
      04-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #169
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Glad to here things are looking good
      04-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #170
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

That's great news about Carlos!!!!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #171
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
That is good news. Hopefully he keeps progressing at the same rate!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #172
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
That is good news. Hopefully he keeps progressing at the same rate!
x2 !!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #173
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Any update?
      04-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #174
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep

Last edited by BlackMoupe; 10-01-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #175
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Sorry to hear brother! I'm sure things have become much more difficult, but try not to find your worth in this incident, and keep your chin up through all circumstances

You will definitely want to seek legal council regarding the D/A as they are pretty ruthless. Character witnesses are key in this type of situations, since there won't be any witnesses of the accident at the time of occurrence.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #176
burton727
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

best wishes go out to you and your friend, can relate and its not fun. but things do get better keep your head up
Appreciate 0