ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Got my new General Exclaim UHPs on

Had them mounted and balanced yesterday, only the rear ones though. I wanted to see how the handeling characteristics changed as far as the rear of the car goes and theres still plenty of life in the front tires. On the way home today from class, DSC went nuts and ABS wouldnt let me slow down to turn into my driveway. I wasnt moving very fast, only about 45 or 50. Im not sure what caused this but when I ordered the tires from tire rack, they called me and told me that I couldnt put non-RFT's on a car that has RFT's on it. In other words, I was told that I couldnt mix and match the tires. I told him that i would order the second set at a later date and then have them put on all at the same time. I must agree with everyone else on the board, Non-RFT's are amazing, night and day difference and I noticed that with only 2 non-RFT tires on my car.

Lol, after re-reading this post, seems really random and all over the place. See if you can keep up with my train of thought without having to reread any portion of this.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

You've just repeated a mistake I made as well. A few months back I got a non-repairable flat in one of rear RFTs and replaced the rear pair (but not the fronts) with non-RFT Goodyear GS-D3's. Same effect as you: DSC lights up all the time, weird loss of traction at unexpected times, etc. Hunting around on the forums I found the explanation that made the most sense is that RFTs are so much stiffer than non-RFTs that you (and I) ended up with a suspension that's substantially unbalanced front to rear.

Solution is to go all 4 RFT or non-RFT but not to mix. I was skeptical of this as well, but the dramatic handling impact of ignoring this advice cannot be ignored. Buy another couple of tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Honestly, the Exclaims are cheap enough that you should just get the front tires now as well. Mixed set up is just an accident waiting to happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
True and I completely agree with you 100%. Only problem is, I am inbetween jobs due to the economy at the moment so Im piecing everything together.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

good to know.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
You've just repeated a mistake I made as well. A few months back I got a non-repairable flat in one of rear RFTs and replaced the rear pair (but not the fronts) with non-RFT Goodyear GS-D3's. Same effect as you: DSC lights up all the time, weird loss of traction at unexpected times, etc. Hunting around on the forums I found the explanation that made the most sense is that RFTs are so much stiffer than non-RFTs that you (and I) ended up with a suspension that's substantially unbalanced front to rear.

Solution is to go all 4 RFT or non-RFT but not to mix. I was skeptical of this as well, but the dramatic handling impact of ignoring this advice cannot be ignored. Buy another couple of tires.
Thanks for the clearer answer. The guy at Tire Rack simply told me that it would make the car unsafe to drive and blah blah. He never told me why so I would understand the severity of the suitation. Car payment this week and 2 more tires next week.

Appreciate 0