ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Laguna Seca 90db Limit - Z4M OK?

Thinking of heading out to Laguna early in 2016 and I am worried my setup is not under the 90db limit. Running an aFE intake and Stromung axleback exhaust. Cabin and outside noise are greatly reduced from the RPI noise cannons previously installed, but still nervous.

From this thread (link below) i gathered the noise to be anywhere from 80-95db depending on the measurement location and car throttle. Anyone have personal experience, help much appreciated!

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...romung+decibel
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For what it's worth, lapped all day Sunday with zero sound issues. No lifting, no modifications, track on!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Nice, must've been a blast yesterday, feels like spring!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Nice to know. Thanks.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Nice, must've been a blast yesterday, feels like spring!
Quite the stroke of luck with the weather, an excellent day to be out.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Perfect day for fun! Great you had no issues with the sound police there, and such a nice reasonably warm and dry day given how the last 30 to 60 days have been. (Not that I'm really complaining about the rain mind you.)

Great photos too.

The one and only time I drove Laguna Seca was December 23 a few years back with a bunch of other guys from the forum here. It was pouring rain, standing water, and the easiest place on the track was the the corkscrew. Why? It's the place the water had not pooled.

I also learned on that day just how big the differences between Pilot Super Sports and NT05s in the rain. My wife had a pretty good time running the super sports on her car, but the NT05s-- yes, it was a great opportunity to learn more about car control, but I'd rather not do that coming out of the Salinas exit, or near some of the walls at Laguna.

Are you planning on running a lot of days this year? I don't recall if you'd stated that earlier, apologies if you did.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Perfect day for fun!

Are you planning on running a lot of days this year? I don't recall if you'd stated that earlier, apologies if you did.
Amen, I could not have asked for a better day out (and light crowd due to the SuperBowl). It was my first time out and water would have made the day a lot more interesting but I had plenty of challenges learning the course and building a smooth line for speed.

Ran the /M at Thunderhill in the fall, but Laguna is much closer and simpler logistically. I'll try to get out 1 or 2 more times in 2016 for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:59 AM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Dol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Perfect day for fun!

Amen, I could not have asked for a better day out (and light crowd due to the SuperBowl). It was my first time out and water would have made the day a lot more interesting but I had plenty of challenges learning the course and building a smooth line for speed.

Ran the /M at Thunderhill in the fall, but Laguna is much closer and simpler logistically. I'll try to get out 1 or 2 more times in 2016 for sure.
Closer is always better as long as scheduling works. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0