ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

TCK D/A install questions

I'm in the midst of installing a set of TCKline DA coilovers this weekend that I picked up used. My questions are about the rear spring perch.

I understand the official install is to put the perch on the bottom, directly on the spring carrier. Like so: (not my picture)
Name:  rear-spring.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  6.8 KB

This metal-to-metal contact with the adjustment tube seems a bit suspect to me. I see that some people suggest turning the spring upside-down and putting the adjuster at the top. Any reason to bolt the adjuster into place through the wishbone, as some have done?

Also, I don't have the set screws used to keep the collar from turning on the adjuster. Are they necessary?

Appreciate any advice from folks that have experience with this suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I have ground countrol height adjusters on mine, so i can not assist. I suggest getting a spring adjuster for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. I have a set of the (very trick) GC adjusters too, but they don't properly fit these springs. I discussed with the shop that did the alignment and corner balancing for me. They are very familiar with the TCK setup and said it worked well, so I just went with it. So far all good.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz
Thanks. I have a set of the (very trick) GC adjusters too, but they don't properly fit these springs. I discussed with the shop that did the alignment and corner balancing for me. They are very familiar with the TCK setup and said it worked well, so I just went with it. So far all good.
I didn't notice it slowing you down much last Sat from the passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
If you really want adjusters you should look at the Rogue ones, those might work with your springs. I've yet to mess with my height after getting the car balanced. Luckily TCK's at lowest setting still provide enough practical ground clearance.
      09-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
If you really want adjusters you should look at the Rogue ones, those might work with your springs. I've yet to mess with my height after getting the car balanced. Luckily TCK's at lowest setting still provide enough practical ground clearance.
The Rogue ones are nice, the Ground Control are pretty much the same. (Ground Control actually put theirs out to market several years before Rogue.) The problem is the ones he has are for a different spring diameter than his TCK kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting that the pic of the spring perch on the Rogue site is with a TCK spring so I assume those would fit. I'll have to revisit this at some point, but I'm in no hurry to pull the rear springs again.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I didn't notice it slowing you down much last Sat from the passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 01:45 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz
Interesting that the pic of the spring perch on the Rogue site is with a TCK spring so I assume those would fit. I'll have to revisit this at some point, but I'm in no hurry to pull the rear springs again.
Sorry, I wasn't clear, G/C has two sizes, 2.25" and 2.5". I'm guessing Rogue has the same. What's the inner spring diameter for the TCK?

I'm heading over to G/C Wednesday so get me whatever questions you have and I'll be happy to run them by Jay.
Appreciate 0