ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Installing adjustable rear lower control arms: best track+street setting?

Hey all,

I drive my car daily, but also hit the track a couple times a year, and am putting down 500BHP. I'm looking for some alignment settings that are appropriate for those conditions (obviously a bit of a compromise).

Tires are the widest that can fit on stock rims: 245 front, 275 rear. I've been happy with a -2.5º camber up front (I have had ground control camber plates), but have no idea what the rear should be given the tire size, or if there are any other adjustable parameters on this car.

Thanks for input! The adjustable RLCA are going on the car tomorrow, so I have to tell the shop what settings to use in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Dang, I don't know about control arm adjustments Scott...
But my rears are -2.2* camber, with slight toe-in (I believe it was 3/16" total). Fronts are 0" total toe.

Not sure what you can get with the adjustable control arms. Maybe have the shop recommend settings for your? Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Just my 2 cents but I don't see a reason to go more than -2.0 rear (front is another story).

Personally I'm happy with -1.8 rear and don't see any extra outside wear from track days.

There may be an argument to be made for moderate rear camber to keep a more even contact patch with that much power. Certainly straight line it's better, and with good weight transfer out of corner, maybe there as well.

Lon's rear toe recommendation sounds fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

TOO MUCH rear camber on a car with more power than grip actually decreases straight line speed. At this point you'll either have to find more rear grip, or learn to compromise between cornering grip and straight line speed.

Most race cars that run adjustable rear lower control arms run it to dial camber into the rift range, because when the car's lowered the rear camber increases.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
VMZ432
Fast Everything
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Hey iPhone, what type of RLCAs did you go with, and what did you think of them? Would be great if you could post into this thread:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...9#post13276729
2006 IBlue BMW Z4 MC - ESS VT2-525 Supercharged, JRZ RS1 suspension (500#F, 600#R) with Vorshlag plates, ST Trophy BBK with CL R6E pads, KKS gated exhaust, TMS sway bars, RE rear camber arms, VT engine mounts, Recaro Pole Position (driver), APR GT wing, Street: Volk G2s and Potenza, Track: Volk TE37SLs and BFG R1s.
Appreciate 0