ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #89
fryon1031
Enlisted Member
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

stay strong my friend and I'm sure that you will but if anything happens to Carlos, I just hope that you will be the first person to be always there for him
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #90
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Wow, God bless. Hope everyone turns out alright.
      04-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #91
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

Fuck that is awful. I'm sorry to hear

Best recovery to you and your friend, thankfully you were in a safe car.

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #92
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Keep your head up bud. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #93
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcanadian View Post
All the best to you dude. In a sense, your post is relieving to me. In a world where most people take the easy way out, on far less serious issues, by placing the blame on anyone/anything but themselves, it's nice to see that some people are still accountable for their actions. Sadly, people like yourself seem to be harder to come by these days. This attitude demonstrates maturity far beyond your years and will garner you a tremendous amount of respect in your life. Hoping everything works out well for everyone involved. Keep your chin up.
Well said, I hope things work out for him and his friend.
      04-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #94
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

To the original poster: From all the various types of responses I've read... it seems for a 17 yr old... you're quite mature. I don't think a there's much more you can do if you're too hot into a corner and hit gravel or loose sand at that point, from what I know...it appears that there is no longer a driver and passenger situation...it's just two passengers until the car slows down and gets traction or hits an object.

I disagree with some members that you shouldn't give a teenager a M coupe or X car. I believe anyone can hurt themselves in a yugo or a supercar. I think just last year for local SoCal folks heard the news of an adult driving a supercar costing $200K+ on PCH and crashing into tow truck and died instantly in flames both the driver and passenger.

If I had a kid..I would rather give him or her a sport bike than a scooter or moped. The moped is a death machine... too slow to brake, and too slow to accelerate out of a problem...no handling. Sport bike you can lean your way out of trouble of a car cutting into your lane, braking, or speeding your way out. Same goes with a sports car or super car vs a yugo or corolla. Either cars can go to terminal speeds...it's down to the driver's ability to drive without getting into trouble. It doesn't sound like reckless driving...but a little bit of not spotting the road conditions....accidents happens...just learn from it.

3rd gear low rpms is about 40 to 50 mph... my estimate. If you couldn't save it with a M...than another other car you would be worse shape. I'm sure as the driver you have more guilt than you ever thought you want to deal with...but the positive side is that you're both alive and didn't take anyone else out. It's a learning experience to grow from. Glad to read you're both getting better!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:40 AM   #95
anjy jackson
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 2003

sad..that must have been so close..i hope u guys are fine now..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #96
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
If I had a kid..I would rather give him or her a sport bike than a scooter or moped. The moped is a death machine... too slow to brake, and too slow to accelerate out of a problem...no handling. Sport bike you can lean your way out of trouble of a car cutting into your lane, braking, or speeding your way out. Same goes with a sports car or super car vs a yugo or corolla. Either cars can go to terminal speeds...it's down to the driver's ability to drive without getting into trouble. It doesn't sound like reckless driving...but a little bit of not spotting the road conditions....accidents happens...just learn from it.
Gotta disagree with this point. I have a TGB 150cc Scooter which I have ridden over 11K miles. This is in the heart of Atlanta with lots of traffic congestion so have had lots of "close calls". IMO the scooter has plenty of umph and handles like no motorcycle can due to the extremely low center of gravity. It handles amazingly well and brakes on a dime too. On top of this, it is much easier to get off of in a no win situation as I am not hugging the bike with my legs. I wear full protective gear at all times.

I would recommend one for kids. No passengers, great fuel economy, top speed 65mph...

A sport bike and a teenager is just asking for trouble IMO...

As for the OP. I found it interesting he stated: "There was absolutely no racing around or anything of the type. It was a lack of traction." (with no mention of the speed limit) and we later find the SL was 35 and he was driving 50mph on the windy, narrow section of road...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #97
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Nice pickup!
I love these wheels on the Coupe.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #98
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep

50 in a 35 is nothing in a coupe. Its not an obscene rate of speed by any means, just a bad judgement call if the road did have as much debris as in the picture.

In my experience, on a clear road the posted speed limit seems to be about half of what the car can handle. If he was doing 50 he wasn't doing anything crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Gotta disagree with this point. I have a TGB 150cc Scooter which I have ridden over 11K miles. This is in the heart of Atlanta with lots of traffic congestion so have had lots of "close calls". IMO the scooter has plenty of umph and handles like no motorcycle can due to the extremely low center of gravity. It handles amazingly well and brakes on a dime too. On top of this, it is much easier to get off of in a no win situation as I am not hugging the bike with my legs. I wear full protective gear at all times.

I would recommend one for kids. No passengers, great fuel economy, top speed 65mph...

A sport bike and a teenager is just asking for trouble IMO...

As for the OP. I found it interesting he stated: "There was absolutely no racing around or anything of the type. It was a lack of traction." (with no mention of the speed limit) and we later find the SL was 35 and he was driving 50mph on the windy, narrow section of road...
      04-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #99
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

As a guy who had a 400cc street bike at 17 and who is now a 40-something dad, I say sure - get your teenage son a 1100cc sport bike if you want to see him killed or maimed for life.

The power to weight ratio of one of these things is such that its performance peotential would have made it suitable to race professionally 15 years ago, as a stock out of the box item.

While a 17 year old can be relatively mature, they are still 17 year olds - bad judgment and tons of testosterone. I was a bit of a wimp but I still did things that could have got me killed easily. One guy I knew managed to do that.

At 17, sensible as you may think you are, you simply do not have the skills or the experience to handle such a machine. And if you disagree, I'll say a prayer for you.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #100
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh and to the other poster mentioning the sportbike vs scooter... You are NUTS for even remotely contemplating giving a sportbike to a teenager. Your logic is flawed, not to mention you'd be putting the kid in SERIOUS harms way. They have enough to think about when first learning the rules and ways of the road, much less on a bike of any kind. I'd be willing to bet you don't ride yourself, or you'd already know this.

Faster bike just means he can put himself into trouble faster, and I don't mean with the law. The more power and speed the bike is capable of the less forgiving they are. Same with hitting this tree. Had they hit it on a bike, you can forget about it. Any car is way more forgiving than a bike and that's what teenagers belong in.
      04-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #101
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
As a guy who had a 400cc street bike at 17 and who is now a 40-something dad, I say sure - get your teenage son a 1100cc sport bike if you want to see him killed or maimed for life.

The power to weight ratio of one of these things is such that its performance peotential would have made it suitable to race professionally 15 years ago, as a stock out of the box item.

While a 17 year old can be relatively mature, they are still 17 year olds - bad judgment and tons of testosterone. I was a bit of a wimp but I still did things that could have got me killed easily. One guy I knew managed to do that.

At 17, sensible as you may think you are, you simply do not have the skills or the experience to handle such a machine. And if you disagree, I'll say a prayer for you.
You beat me to it bud.
      04-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #102
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Nice pickup!
I love these wheels on the Coupe.
Wrong thread?

A sportbike for a teenager is a much much worse idea than a scooter. Wow, can't believe anyone would actually think that was better. Must not be a rider himself.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #103
NJ-Eric
Private
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue Z4 3.0Si Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

+1 Same age. Same viewpoint. Same current situation. Same motorcycle when I was 17, except mine was 500cc.

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #104
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Wrong thread?

A sportbike for a teenager is a much much worse idea than a scooter. Wow, can't believe anyone would actually think that was better. Must not be a rider himself.
As someone who made the foolish decision as a 17 year old to purchase a sportbike, this is one of the wisest things that has been said about sportbikes and bikes in general. Sportbikes are fun toys, but definitely not something that should be in the hands of a teenager, and most definitely not something on which someone learns to ride.
      04-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #105
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I've got a 3 year old right now...IF I still have all three cars in the garage right now by the time she's ready to drive, I wouldn't hesitate to hand her the keys to the Subaru. Because at the time it will be absolutely worthless and it's got just as good of crash protection as the MZ4 Coupe. I would never give her the keys to my MZ4 Coupe because it'll likely be fairly valuable then.

The ONLY problem I have with giving young drivers very nice cars, is that they'll eventually wreck it. Knowing that, I would never give my daughter the nicer cars in the family to wreck. If she must wreck something, I'd rather she wreck my "economy" car.

Honestly, at that age, you don't know what trouble is until it happens. By all accounts I was an honors student, straight forward and accountable, and don't do stupid stuff when I was 17. Yet I had no idea what "inches away from death" means at the time.

p.s.: Not directed at the OP in any way, just random rant based on some of the tangent that this post has gone off in.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #106
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

The issue is not as much about the capabilities of the machine. It is possible to cause serious harm to one's self with a power tool, or even a screwdriver. It is about the attitudes that are inherently invoked when one is operating a high performance driving machine. If you are driving a high performance car, you are much more likely to engage in risky behaviours and mismanage risk. It's not about the thing itself, it's about how the thing is likely to make you behave. This applies to adults/older people as well, but, in general, they have a better sense of assesing risk due to experience. (I say in general because some adults are not capable of assessing and managing risk either). For that reason, I would do whatever I can to keep my children from operating such machinery at a young age--regardless of how mature they might be relative to their peers. There is simply no point in allowing such a thing to happen. They can wait a few years. Sports cars and bikes will be around.
      04-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #107
dazed^
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Roadster

A hell of an accident for sure, especially at 'just' 50 mph or even less. It doesn't even look wet...

Best wishes to you both in any case!

I'm reminded again to drive carefully always. These cars certainly do tempt you.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #108
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

17 = risk is what others are doing.
17 = I will live till 18, and won't die before that.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #109
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Someone Quoted me earlier on why I specified there was no racing around. A friend of mine that was driving to lunch with us has a blacked out Nissan Maxima, the other person there has an old, lifted, yellow jeep. "Witnesses" (quotes because few actually SAW anything, they only heard my exhaust and skidding) near the scene claimed racing could have been involved.

1) the Nissan was behind the jeep about 1/4 mile behind me.

2) the driver of the Nissan is the most careful, honest, responsible guy I know.

3) why would I be racing a maxima and a jeep.

I mentioned that because speculation on the news article comments has led to some nasty nick hogan comparisons and other remarks of similar nature. There was no racing around involved because there was NO racing around. They were behind me, I was in front of them. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #110
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
From the other thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokaef View Post
When I went to CA, SSK92 and me met at a car group meting one of the nights and to be honest, for his age he looked and spoke very responsibly, his line of thought was clear minded and nothing like a guy that would be racing around. This is an unfortunate event and S*** happens, I really don't think he was abusing on his driving, I really believe he may had at that moment judged the road condition wrong but To crucify him as being irresponsible may just be a little out of line. Some people mature much faster and he seams like one of those. he is too educated to be doing S***** around.

I really wish no drastic consequences comes out of this happening, But just one more learn experience.
Appreciate 0