ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Z4MR purchase...next steps

Hi all,

Looks like I may finally have the car I want. As some of you know, I have been looking for a decent sepang M roadster for a while. I had been looking for one with light sepang interior (a must have) and a tan top but after looking at my second tan top version, it was amost as rough as the first one. Then I saw a black top version online and about to head to Philly to look at it next weekend but it looks mint, low mileage, good price, etc so I have a deposit on it. I am 95% certain it will be a go. The best part...I sold my 3.0i for only a grand less than I will be getting the M for!!

Now, I want to ask about next steps and advice from those of you who have "been there, done that"...

1) First up will be exhaust. I think I have narrowed it down to RPI or Diablo. I like the low end growl of the RPI and the price seems right as well. A couple of questions on these...first, for those that have owned both or heard both in person, what is your take on the two options listed? Any other suggestions that would be a similar sound? Any good online retailers with good pricing to get either of these at? Lastly, would it make sense to add an X Pipe of some sort to the RPI setup and if so, which do you recommend?

Sorry, just realized that I posted here instead of the main forum....leaving the question on exhaust here but moving the entire thread to General.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Hey Mike!! That is awesome!! Super excited to see your M in the spring.

You heard my exhaust, I have Stromung and Ian has Eissenman sport I believe. RPI would be Vinnie or Paul. However you haven't met them. That exhaust is super loud but does sound great. Have heard it first hand. It's too loud for me though. An X-pipe on an RPI would be nuts!!

If you want to hear my exhaust in person let me know and we can meet up as you are local. I bought mine through VAC during their 10% off sale.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I have the rpi and used to have a stromung. Both sound glorious, but the stromung seemed to quite for ME overtime. Mainly when I was cruising with friends and I could hear their car over mine.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I thought the RPI had a Cheesy fake pipe on each can? Maybe they've changed it?
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

Tips are like these. Both functional, one has more flow than the other

MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post

Yeah, I like the look a lot. dubsesd, you don't find the RPI too loud?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep

No. I actually find them perfect. Maybe they would be too loud with an xpipe. Everyone has a different interpretation of loud though. My wife doesn't think they are that loud either.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Cool - I just seem to recall guys spray painting the one inner pipe to make it look more functional?

OP - all cans are materially louder with an X-Pipe that eliminates the resonator.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Cool - I just seem to recall guys spray painting the one inner pipe to make it look more functional?

OP - all cans are materially louder with an X-Pipe that eliminates the resonator.
I guess I can always add the X pipe later if need be.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Hey Mike, glad to hear you found a car.
As Mirko mentions there are several of us in the GTA with different systems.
I would highly recommend checking them out in person before deciding.

....good excuse for a Spring meet
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Hey Mike, glad to hear you found a car.
As Mirko mentions there are several of us in the GTA with different systems.
I would highly recommend checking them out in person before deciding.

....good excuse for a Spring meet
Not sure I can wait till spring to work on the car! I may even bring back a system when I pick up the car the weekend after next. May as well take advantage of the duty exemption!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

check out this system in classifieds
These sound amazing!

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764347
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
These sound amazing!

Agree! I've heard this system inside the car, and outside. Great sound, and little to no drone. Looks good too!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Agree! I've heard this system inside the car, and outside. Great sound, and little to no drone. Looks good too!
Now, are you guys talking with the X Pipe or without? How much does the X Pipe add?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

with.
X pipe makes it deeper & a little louder.
These are designed to work together.

...still quieter than RPI w/o X
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

^ This.

X-pipe removes the resonated stock x-pipe section, and adds some pops/burbles and is as InTgr8 says, deeper and a bit louder. But it's more about sound detail (those pops and burbles).

The Supersprint Sport is more liveable than the RPI IMO. All very subjective, but the RPI is always turned up to 11, whereas this doesn't hit that volume level, and the sound level can be modulated more. When you're on it it's on but when you want it to be there, but a bit more stealth, it can do that too.

If you want something really loud, really always on, and really exotic sounding the RPI is the ticket. I think it would be hard to live with in a daily driver or on longer trips, but then again it's all about what you are looking for, not what I like. It sounds absolutely amazing, but it's the antithesis of stealth.

Have you looked at the results of "Exhaust 'Fest" we ran here last spring? There are sound clips (standing and passing), as well as db levels and subjective commentary that may be quite helpful. Here's a link. While the Diablo I was running at the time came in at about the same DB, the only thing I could hear running through a tunnel with the RPI behind me was the RPI! The tone and higher pitch just overwhelmed the Diablo, which isn't quiet by any means.

Last edited by Finnegan; 10-31-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
These sound amazing!

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
^ This.

X-pipe removes the resonated stock x-pipe section, and adds some pops/burbles and is as InTgr8 says, deeper and a bit louder. But it's more about sound detail (those pops and burbles).

The Supersprint Sport is more liveable than the RPI IMO. All very subjective, but the RPI is always turned up to 11, whereas this doesn't hit that volume level, and the sound level can be modulated more. When you're on it it's on but when you want it to be there, but a bit more stealth, it can do that too.

If you want something really loud, really always on, and really exotic sounding the RPI is the ticket. I think it would be hard to live with in a daily driver or on longer trips, but then again it's all about what you are looking for, not what I like. It sounds absolutely amazing, but it's the antithesis of stealth.

Have you looked at the results of "Exhaust 'Fest" we ran here last spring? There are sound clips (standing and passing), as well as db levels and subjective commentary that may be quite helpful. Here's a link. While the Diablo I was running at the time came in at about the same DB, the only thing I could hear running through a tunnel with the RPI behind me was the RPI! The tone and higher pitch just overwhelmed the Diablo, which isn't quiet by any means.
Yeah, I did watch the results on youtube. It was quite interesting, though its still tough to get a true sense until you can "feel" the sound as well. As a side note, I've seen shuttle launches on video for years but until we were at the VIP launch site for STS-123 in 2008, and the crackling could be felt deep in your chest, I had no sense of the true sound of that thing!

I think I have now ruled out the RPIs. I can live with loud around town but do enjoy roadtrips and think it wold get old real fast.

I am going to hear Mirko's Stromung tomorrow night. I had been looking at the Diablos as well but understand there is some drone there. I'd love the Eisenmanns but they are a little out of my price range for now.

So, back to these SS's. Would it make sense to pick them up as just mufflers for now then add the X pipe later if I want to add more oomph? Do the mufflers on their own easier bolt up to stock exhaust? Is it easy to ad on the X pipe later?

Thanks for everyone's input!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Yeah, I did watch the results on youtube. It was quite interesting, though its still tough to get a true sense until you can "feel" the sound as well. As a side note, I've seen shuttle launches on video for years but until we were at the VIP launch site for STS-123 in 2008, and the crackling could be felt deep in your chest, I had no sense of the true sound of that thing!

I think I have now ruled out the RPIs. I can live with loud around town but do enjoy roadtrips and think it wold get old real fast.

I am going to hear Mirko's Stromung tomorrow night. I had been looking at the Diablos as well but understand there is some drone there. I'd love the Eisenmanns but they are a little out of my price range for now.

So, back to these SS's. Would it make sense to pick them up as just mufflers for now then add the X pipe later if I want to add more oomph? Do the mufflers on their own easier bolt up to stock exhaust? Is it easy to ad on the X pipe later?

Thanks for everyone's input!
Great Deal on the SS Race (these look like the Race not Sport Power Loops) and X-Pipe - go for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Great Deal on the SS Race and X-Pipe - go for it!

It's easy to add the x-pipe later, but this combo offer is a great deal, and I don't think the seller wants to split up the offer. Cans alone will not provide the same experience (those pops/burbles) as with the x-pipe. I'd say there's a 90% chance you're going to want the x-pipe later anyway.

Stromung is a nice option, good sound, little to no drone, deep, but cans are heavy. Supersprint is a bit lighter. Can't go wrong with either.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Jump on it!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys...I sent the seller an email so we'll see where we go from here. I think its down to these two options.

Will post once I have car in the driveway and exhaust in hand!
Appreciate 0