ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Xtrs87x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 05 z4

will i pass inspection?

So i have an 05 z4 and i live in new jersey. Just when i was about to take it into motor vehicles the CEL light turns on. Plugged it into the scanner and it reads "fault NA". From googling i think it means that the code is bmw specific. If so does anyone know if i will pass inspection with it?
i don't know if this matters but there are 2 lights on on the dashboard. The red exclamation point (just put tires with no toms sensors). and the airbag light is on. i don't know if they're related to the cel.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

You won't pass inspection with a CEL light on. You REALLY won't pass inspection with the airbag light on. Those are automatic fails.

Also- If you clear the codes you'll need to drive around a bit (25-40 miles) for the computer to come up to speed and have readings. You can't clear the codes and take it right in. They'll just tell you it's blank and they can't inspect it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCF View Post
You won't pass inspection with a CEL light on. You REALLY won't pass inspection with the airbag light on. Those are automatic fails.

Also- If you clear the codes you'll need to drive around a bit (25-40 miles) for the computer to come up to speed and have readings. You can't clear the codes and take it right in. They'll just tell you it's blank and they can't inspect it.
+1, comment regarding the BMW cycle drive, OP, please google it and know what you need to do instead of aimlessly driving for 40 miles. I was able to reset mine with about 10-15 miles of driving.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Your 2005 uses the ABS wheel speed sensors for flat tire warnings. Check pressures. Reset the light. There are no tire pressure sensors.

Use your scan tool to reset the CEL, then go through the drive cycle. If the light returns, you have a problem.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0