ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

your run of the mill noob headers question

all,

it's time i commit to buying some headers. i was a bit intimidated at first, but so many of you have pulled it off and even posted the install details which helps A LOT.

looks like all i need are aftermarket headers which delete the primary cat and relocate the 02 sensors to the secondary cat...where i'll have to weld in 02 bungs UNLESS i get an oem euro cat pipe. phew that took a long time to grasp.

question: anybody have an idea if fabspeed headers from VAC will fit the zed? they're local to me and are offering a group buy on m3forum for a very reasonable price. i'm to chicken shit to do the install, so i'll have them install also. so price of GB + install + ceramic coating = around the price of the SSv2 step or AA genIV.

link to GB:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=396500

anybody's personal recommendations which route to go or if you can provide any insight regarding the fabspeed headers mated to the Z would be great.

i'm an easy sell...so if someone is just in love with an particular header for our car for whatever reason just preach on and i'll seriously consider them. so far starscream has peaked my interest with ssv2stepped.

THANKS!
      02-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
all,

it's time i commit to buying some headers. i was a bit intimidated at first, but so many of you have pulled it off and even posted the install details which helps A LOT.

looks like all i need are aftermarket headers which delete the primary cat and relocate the 02 sensors to the secondary cat...where i'll have to weld in 02 bungs UNLESS i get an oem euro cat pipe. phew that took a long time to grasp.

question: anybody have an idea if fabspeed headers from VAC will fit the zed? they're local to me and are offering a group buy on m3forum for a very reasonable price. i'm to chicken shit to do the install, so i'll have them install also. so price of GB + install + ceramic coating = around the price of the SSv2 step or AA genIV.

link to GB:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=396500

anybody's personal recommendations which route to go or if you can provide any insight regarding the fabspeed headers mated to the Z would be great.

i'm an easy sell...so if someone is just in love with an particular header for our car for whatever reason just preach on and i'll seriously consider them. so far starscream has peaked my interest with ssv2stepped.

THANKS!
Looks good from here. I paid $1700 for my AA's and probably another $100 for gaskets and proper tools. Plus it took 10-12 hours of my time(w/o rerouting 02). Of course I bet I could do it in less than 5 now. Wonder how much heat shield trimming there would be? If that's all Id go for it.
The coating is nice too cause those suckers get hot enough w/o to boil your ww fluid. At least mine did.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

i replied. im in if anyone can confirm the fitment.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

thats a good price if the headers are at full discount. But i really would recommend doing the install yourself and saving the money. Its a good way to get to know your car, though i wouldnt do it unless you have a garage to work in and leave the car up overnight. also thats pretty expensive of an install and would be easy to save the money on.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

I'll ask local members who know their stuff of they're up for an install day. throw them some cash and beer.
      02-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

I bought Fabspeed headers this week for my Z4MC. I won't be able to install them until next weekend cause I am working on an E46 M3 all this weekend.

If you can wait one more week, I will let you know the fitment.

We installed the first set of Fabspeed headers here at VAG Motorsport. It was there headers they used at the Sema show. We dyno them on an E46 M3 and they made 28whp. I always been septical about those numbers but it is what the dyno sheet says. But stock was 257whp which is a little bit low...

Quality is flawless and the price is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Check out classifieds. interg8tr(sp) had some euros for sale. Good buy.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
i replied. im in if anyone can confirm the fitment.
i spoke with Mike at VAC...we're good to go on fitment.
      02-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
I bought Fabspeed headers this week for my Z4MC. I won't be able to install them until next weekend cause I am working on an E46 M3 all this weekend.

If you can wait one more week, I will let you know the fitment.

We installed the first set of Fabspeed headers here at VAG Motorsport. It was there headers they used at the Sema show. We dyno them on an E46 M3 and they made 28whp. I always been septical about those numbers but it is what the dyno sheet says. But stock was 257whp which is a little bit low...

Quality is flawless and the price is reasonable.

thanks! definitely keep us posted...and mayyybe document the install?

02-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Check out classifieds. interg8tr(sp) had some euros for sale. Good buy.
+1 Cant go wrong with OEM quality
Plus I think Ian has them decently priced

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep

I will try to take pics, not only of the exterior but also the inside of the pipe to show the quality.

I used to have Ebay headers on the M3 for 4 years and I never had a problem with them. Since they were cheap headers, I modify them back in 2010 and cut them directly at the collector. Then I saw why they were cheap. The welding and assembly are not made to have the perfect flow but just to be solid. After I cut them, I start with two 2.5" pipes from the collectors and merge them into a single 3" pipe from section 1 to the rear with only one muffler with turn down. It was looking a lot like Bimmerworld race exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
I will try to take pics, not only of the exterior but also the inside of the pipe to show the quality.

I used to have Ebay headers on the M3 for 4 years and I never had a problem with them. Since they were cheap headers, I modify them back in 2010 and cut them directly at the collector. Then I saw why they were cheap. The welding and assembly are not made to have the perfect flow but just to be solid. After I cut them, I start with two 2.5" pipes from the collectors and merge them into a single 3" pipe from section 1 to the rear with only one muffler with turn down. It was looking a lot like Bimmerworld race exhaust.
are you in posession of the fabspeed headers right now or are they on order? i probably won't get the headers until mid april for this group buy...so take some pics if you can so i know what i'm getting! thanks buddy
      02-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
txz4
Major
Rep

Quote:
are you in posession of the fabspeed headers right now or are they on order? i probably won't get the headers until mid april for this group buy...so take some pics if you can so i know what i'm getting! thanks buddy
If you can get the full discount, i would get the Fabspeed headers unless an AMAZING deal comes up for something else. The install is WELL documented. Check my recent thread on the subject. It has links as well as tips that would have made my life alot easier had i known them at the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
If you can get the full discount, i would get the Fabspeed headers unless an AMAZING deal comes up for something else. The install is WELL documented. Check my recent thread on the subject. It has links as well as tips that would have made my life alot easier had i known them at the time.
thanks for the heads up. i took a look at your thread. couldn't load pictures while at work. looks like you got a euro cat pipe. how'd you manage that? a few others on here have gone the euro cat pipe rout so they wouldn't have to relocate on the us spec one.
      02-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
txz4
Major
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the heads up. i took a look at your thread. couldn't load pictures while at work. looks like you got a euro cat pipe. how'd you manage that? a few others on here have gone the euro cat pipe rout so they wouldn't have to relocate on the us spec one.
Honestly i was just looking for headers and was going to take my US s pipe to an exhaust shop to get the relocated bungs. I stumbled across a forum member trying to sell the headers, cats etc as a package and got them at a STEAL!! i paid $1100 for both, most people pay almost that much just for the cats! trust me when i say, the US pipe and the Euro pipe are identical as far as i could tell. The only difference i could see was the bungs.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Honestly i was just looking for headers and was going to take my US s pipe to an exhaust shop to get the relocated bungs. I stumbled across a forum member trying to sell the headers, cats etc as a package and got them at a STEAL!! i paid $1100 for both, most people pay almost that much just for the cats! trust me when i say, the US pipe and the Euro pipe are identical as far as i could tell. The only difference i could see was the bungs.
lucky bastid
      02-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have them at home, I will try to take pics over the weekend.

I have a question: Do you have to relocate the bungs in the US section 1 jus to avoid a CEL? The Fabspeed have something inside the pipe on the post cat bungs to avoid any CEL, don't know if it's going to work
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:

I have a question: Do you have to relocate the bungs in the US section 1 jus to avoid a CEL? The Fabspeed have something inside the pipe on the post cat bungs to avoid any CEL, don't know if it's going to work
my understanding is that you relocate the 02s to the section 1 cat..and since the US section 1 doesn't have the bungs we have to weld them in.

someone else can chime in here..I'm not the most knowledgable
      02-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

OEM all the way, least likelihood of tuning problems.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

I did the re weld that i got from a forum user and I get EGT codes all day long. Talk to Donovan about getting Oem Euro Cats. That would be the best way to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
txz4
Major
Rep

Quote:

You can put both sets of o2s on the headers with the use of a tune to turn the rear o2 signal down, Though i would recommend the relocate.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

OEM Euro is the best way to go
Appreciate 0