ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #67
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
I noticed the creak/pop after about 10-15 heat cycles.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #68
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
It's installed but I haven't had any run time on it yet.

...I can confirm the same install issue with the right pipe at the support plate.
Not major issue, but it is a design flaw IMO.
So how did you mod the your plate to get it to fit?
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #69
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I bent it down a bit.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #70
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
So I bought this xpipe contrary to what I said. I like it, however I have a ton of vibrations and new noise with it. I think something is kinda loose under the car making the rattle noise. I didnt have the bend issue since I have the "original" xpipe RE installed on a member car here. I bought the x-pipe attached to the plate so I didnt have an issue there. Just the vibrations when in low RPMs and in gear (think when slowly backing up, when the RPMs drop, I start hearing this noise)
Any ideas?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #71
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
So I bought this xpipe contrary to what I said. I like it, however I have a ton of vibrations and new noise with it. I think something is kinda loose under the car making the rattle noise. I didnt have the bend issue since I have the "original" xpipe RE installed on a member car here. I bought the x-pipe attached to the plate so I didnt have an issue there. Just the vibrations when in low RPMs and in gear (think when slowly backing up, when the RPMs drop, I start hearing this noise)
Any ideas?
I had this issue too. Seems that the 9mm screws that attach the alum plate to the flex plate were not tight enough. These little screws have washers attached that would vibrate. I tightened them up and boom sound problem gone. If they are loose you can spin the washer. I actually just tapped on the shield and I could hear the rattle. I believe the plate needs to retorqued from the heat after a few runs. ????
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #72
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
I had this issue too. Seems that the 9mm screws that attach the alum plate to the flex plate were not tight enough. These little screws have washers attached that would vibrate. I tightened them up and boom sound problem gone. If they are loose you can spin the washer. I actually just tapped on the shield and I could hear the rattle. I believe the plate needs to retorqued from the heat after a few runs. ????
Sigh of relief that I am not the only sucker with this issue. However I am not sure what screws you are referencing. If you could point them out in this pic or where they sit in accordance to the pipes, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #73
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Be cautious how much you tighten them, just make them firm.
They are self tapping screws, not machine screws they can strip the holes if you aren't careful.
Some are spring clips but the ones at the back on the tie brace are just drilled holes.

One other point
I almost forgot.
There is one screw in the center that is right below the X.
On mine, the screw touched the X.
I had to add a couple of washers to space it down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #74
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
I

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
Quote:
Sigh of relief that I am not the only sucker with this issue. However I am not sure what screws you are referencing. If you could point them out in this pic or where they sit in accordance to the pipes, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

It is the bottom plate under part #9. it is not shown under this diagram. It is the outer most aluminum shield that these screws go into. Intgr8r is right as I think I might have over torqued one myself. I need to look at this and maybe apply a little lactate and also look to see if the middle screw is indeed touching the pipe. I'm going to assume it is and buy a couple of small washers. After all the pipe and the car are the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #75
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Loctite not lactate. Damn auto correct. I don't think lactate would work very well.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #76
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
....and also look to see if the middle screw is indeed touching the pipe. I'm going to assume it is and buy a couple of small washers. After all the pipe and the car are the same.
IIRC you spaced plate #9 down with washers for clearance.
That might also have given clearance for the center screw.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #77
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
IIRC you spaced plate #9 down with washers for clearance.
That might also have given clearance for the center screw.

This is true. Ill get underneath her Saturday and check it out. Was this preventing the middle screw from tightening all the way?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #78
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
.....Was this preventing the middle screw from tightening all the way?
Yes.
I just happened to be in the correct position to see it hit the pipe as I tightened it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #79
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Just checked and the screw was definitely hitting the pipe. This was what was causing the popping sound after I tightened them up the first time. Thanks for that InTgr8r! problem solved. All in all I'm glad I did this mod. Was iffy at first with the fitment problem but I'm over it now
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #80
MPOWER78
Private First Class
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 08 /// M

I just installed my re x-pipe and re trans mounts and had no problem with the right pipe did not touch on my plate , only the one bolt in the middle i had to shave down a bit . but other than that easy install , maybe the re trans mounts help with the pipe not hiting the plate ...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #81
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

^ I have tranny mounts as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #82
MPOWER78
Private First Class
Guatemala
Rep

Well i'm not sure whats going on i"m just happy with my fit. i did keep my eye on that one bolt you talked about and you were right on the money thank you for that pointer .. i love the way the car sounds and i feel a lot more pull , like stronger...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #83
MPOWER78
Private First Class
Guatemala
Rep

Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  153.8 KB
my set up (re) x-pipe and arqray can
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #84
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Not adding insult to injury,
Zero problems, noises, vibrations, mounting problems with the supersprint x pipe

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #85
MPOWER78
Private First Class
Guatemala
Rep

Ya But Supersprint Does Not Work With O.e. Muffflers ..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #86
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Um, yeah it can. Any decent muffler shop can add a flange to mate it perfectly w/stock. I'm living proof. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #87
MPOWER78
Private First Class
Guatemala
Rep

Ya That True, But Extra Work. Messing With Ss Metiral Of The Pipe ....not For Me ....
Appreciate 0