ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Daily Driver to pair with Z4M - 228i - Hmmm

I read this article about the 228i, and found it interesting in how much the drivers enjoyed it. It sounds like it is a little wild like the Z4M, though clearly very, very different.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...mparison-test/

Do any of you happen to own a 228i, or have you driven one? I'm going to be in the market soon for a daily driver, and the 228i sounds interesting.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
I read this article about the 228i, and found it interesting in how much the drivers enjoyed it. It sounds like it is a little wild like the Z4M, though clearly very, very different.

Do any of you happen to own a 228i, or have you driven one? I'm going to be in the market soon for a daily driver, and the 228i sounds interesting.

Salty
I have a 128i and a Z4M Roadie. 228i might be a bit quicker than a 128i (especially with the auto transmission) but if its anything like the M235i/240i's I've test driven the steering might have a little slop in it off center and feels noticeably electrically overboosted/light. Not a bad choice though I'd miss the power and opt for an M235i personally given the choice. Personally I'm not ready to trade up from the 1 series platform to the 2; suspension is more than good enough and the steering feel is far superior. Every single time I get back into the 1er after driving any car with an electric rack, especially the ones with variable turn ratios I'm reminded how good BMW steering used to be.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-23-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
Z4M_Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

MK7 GTI Sport is probably the best daily possibly imo. It does evvverryyything right. Test drive it and I’m sure you’ll agree. =)
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I have a 128i and a Z4M Roadie. 228i might be a bit quicker than a 128i (especially with the auto transmission) but if its anything like the M235i/240i's I've test driven the steering might have a little slop in it off center and feels noticeably electrically overboosted/light. Not a bad choice though I'd miss the power and opt for an M235i personally given the choice. Personally I'm not ready to trade up from the 1 series platform to the 2; suspension is more than good enough and the steering feel is far superior. Every single time I get back into the 1er after driving any car with an electric rack, especially the ones with variable turn ratios I'm reminded how good BMW steering used to be.
The steering is so important to me. I had a 2003 MINI Cooper S when they first came out. I thought their steering idea was great. It was power assist at slow speeds, but the assist dropped away as speed increased and went to pure rack and pinion. My wife bought a 2015 Countryman S, and even in Sport mode, it sucks compared to the original MINI. When I first test drove my Z4M, I was doing a wiggle dance in my seat. I couldn't believe how good it was. Why people want light, sloppy, disconnected steering is beyond me. Are new customers so weak from doing nothing but texting that they can't handle it?

That's good to know on the 128i. I was also looking at a 135i, but I kept hearing about reliability issues. I should probably just buy an e46 M3, since I'm becoming so familiar with the S54 engine, but was hoping to get a little better mileage.

Thank you for the feedback.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4M_GT3 View Post
MK7 GTI Sport is probably the best daily possibly imo. It does evvverryyything right. Test drive it and I’m sure you’ll agree. =)
You know, I actually had looked at that. I don't know what designer came up with the idea to put that little red stripe on the front, but on the dark grey, that is just brilliant. I was hoping to stay in the BMW family, but I'll give it a try.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MCoupe

Quote:
if its anything like the M235i/240i's I've test driven the steering might have a little slop in it off center and feels noticeably electrically overboosted/light. Not a bad choice though I'd miss the power and opt for an M235i personally given the choice.
I had an M235, I absolutely hated it, got rid of it just after a year of ownership. It always felt like it was overpowered, un-planted, and numb. The steering feel is just abysmal and the only way it was tolerable was with all the nannies off in 'track' mode. I REALLY wanted to love that car, it was beautiful but I just kept throwing money at it trying to make it better. Felt floaty? Dinan springs and roll bar. No grip? Wider tires and better rubber.. nothing ever made it more livable for me though, at least not for the money I was spending to keep it around.

I've heard the 228 is actually a more well rounded car because it's balance is more reasonable but I'm unsure if there are any steering differences between the two.

Here it is a few days before I got rid of it.

Quote:
As it so happens... that's what I replaced my M235 with. While I wouldn't say it gets everything right but it's a solid car and the price-point is pretty unbeatable. The GTI is a great daily for me because while I love it I also see it as disposable. I can go buy another one or twenty right now, in the same color, same options, no problem. The carplay integration is great, it gets excellent gas mileage, can hold four adult humans, and you can drive it like you stole it 100% of the time and not get in too much trouble. It is a VW though so the clutch is awful or easy depending on your preference and I think the factory suspension is kinda miserable. I swapped mine out with some H&R springs and Koni yellows the first chance I had and despite the lowering I personally think it's more comfortable today than with the bargain bits it came with.

It's also a turbo four cylinder, so you've got to wring it's neck a bit if you want to go anywhere in a hurry, I'm ok with that but it's certainly a departure from the torque'y'ness of something like the M235 or the MCoupe.

Here are both my current driveway ornaments the night I went and picked up the MCoupe.

Appreciate 3
      10-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffenme1 View Post
While I wouldn't say it gets everything right but it's a solid car and the price-point is pretty unbeatable.
Forgot one... the tires the GTI comes with are garbage, mine were Hankooks but I guess they can also come with a Conti of some sort depending on your luck. I replaced them with some Michelin Super Sports like god intended and never looked back.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I replaced them with some Michelin Super Sports like god intended and never looked back.

They are nice tires. I have PSS on my roadster, and can't imagine going back to Contis. Great looking cars you have.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
My wife and I owned a 228i Msport (MT) for 3 years alongside our Z4M coupe - it is a brilliant car and a nice pair.

Per the experience above, the M235i is a very different car that often feels unbalanced and awkward. The 228i is a lighter and has a very different (slower) engine. In no world would I ever describe it as WILD like the Z4M. I did try to put it all in words on this very site
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1357272

I would also take a look at this Jalopnik article
https://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-228i-is...buy-1662847106

The 228i would still be in my garage had my wife not purchased an RF Miata and moved us to place without 3 car parking.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #10
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The steering is so important to me. I had a 2003 MINI Cooper S when they first came out. I thought their steering idea was great. It was power assist at slow speeds, but the assist dropped away as speed increased and went to pure rack and pinion. My wife bought a 2015 Countryman S, and even in Sport mode, it sucks compared to the original MINI. When I first test drove my Z4M, I was doing a wiggle dance in my seat. I couldn't believe how good it was. Why people want light, sloppy, disconnected steering is beyond me. Are new customers so weak from doing nothing but texting that they can't handle it?

That's good to know on the 128i. I was also looking at a 135i, but I kept hearing about reliability issues. I should probably just buy an e46 M3, since I'm becoming so familiar with the S54 engine, but was hoping to get a little better mileage.

Thank you for the feedback.

Salty
My personal plan if I had to get a new daily tomorrow would be to find a 6MT M-sport 135i. Reliability can be an issue on some examples but others show no problems. If you can find a solid one with a good maintenance history for the right price (should be able to find one for a lot less money than an M235i for example) you can use the difference in cost for future maintenance and mod money.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Per the experience above, the M235i is a very different car that often feels unbalanced and awkward.
Unbalanced and awkward is pretty spot on. I really wished I had taken the time to drive the 228, at the time it'd been without a 'fun' car for quite some time and assumed (wrongly so) that more engine=more fun. The M2 wasn't yet out so the M235 was my go to.

It was a hard lesson, but I guess it ended up with me in the MCoupe so it's not all bad.

Here is another comparo I wish I had taken the time to read.

Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #12
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The M2 wasn't yet out so the M235 was my go to.

It was a hard lesson, but I guess it ended up with me in the MCoupe so it's not all bad.[/url]
Agreed. My main nitpicks on the 2 platform were 1) seating position (its high up) and 2) steering - not the best electronic example. It has a hard time competing against a true sports coupe (a la Z4M).

I did get a chance to drive the M2 and while it is an awesome car there is limited sense of occasion and the engine lacks character. As a a do-all car it is a better proposition but my wallet staid firmly put once I sat back into the Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My wife and I owned a 228i Msport (MT) for 3 years alongside our Z4M coupe - it is a brilliant car and a nice pair.

The 228i would still be in my garage had my wife not purchased an RF Miata and moved us to place without 3 car parking.
I really enjoyed reading your article. That was a great comparison of the two cars. My description of "wild" was in reference to the Road and Track article where they talked about the backend breaking easily on the 228i. I need to go back and look. I can't remember if they had a 228i with M Sport or not. I was thinking about the old review of the Z4M on Top Gear where he was having some trouble with the Z4M until he got rough with it and chucked it in.

How do you like the Miata? I was looking at those before I stumbled across the Z4M a few years ago.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #14
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can't remember if they had a 228i with M Sport or not. I was thinking about the old review of the Z4M on Top Gear where he was having some trouble with the Z4M until he got rough with it and chucked it in.

How do you like the Miata? I was looking at those before I stumbled across the Z4M a few years ago.
Yes, the 228i does have a bit of dual persona as well. Msport largely provides engine tuning, throttle response and steering modulation - beyond that is some aesthetics and interior upgrades. Not necessary to enjoy the car but it certainly helps. Shedding run flat tires would also go a long way.

The gentleman I sold it to plans to DD and occasionally track it alongside his fleet. That is where it really shines, no doubt it will go down like the non M-version E30 of yore. Plenty of aftermarket support if you want to upgrade items.

The RF Miata is a fantastic little car. I never really wanted a Miata until this generation (had an FR-S previously) and it has proved nothing but smiles. Go-kart like thrills and just easy to drive and enjoy. Not fast but it is supple and set up decently well out of the gate. My wife encountered lots of body roll at Laguna Seca that we need to remedy in the future. Top down driving is great as you are aware.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The gentleman I sold it to plans to DD and occasionally track it alongside his fleet. That is where it really shines, no doubt it will go down like the non M-version E30 of yore. Plenty of aftermarket support if you want to upgrade items.
Evidently it's already built a reputation as a keeper. They are hard to come by. I've been doing a few searches and not coming up with much. I wonder if the Msport wasn't ordered often and people went to the M235i, instead. Funny how things work out. Who would ever guess the 228i would be The One.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 10:07 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
My personal plan if I had to get a new daily tomorrow would be to find a 6MT M-sport 135i. Reliability can be an issue on some examples but others show no problems. If you can find a solid one with a good maintenance history for the right price (should be able to find one for a lot less money than an M235i for example) you can use the difference in cost for future maintenance and mod money.
I still miss my 135is (see pics in my garage) but it was perfect balance of sport and comfort. If it were not for my growing family needs I would've kept it along side the Z.
      11-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #17
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If the car is joining the garage alongside a sportier variant, I see no reason to go with a 135i over a 228i. The used market currently has an over inflated perception of the 135i MT value leading it to be nearly equal to a newer, better equipped and often still under warranty used 228i MT.

If the purpose to offset miles and do the daily tasks, why choose an aging platform that could entice more mods and a cash drain? Heh - only 1 (or 2...) project car(s) at a time! That being said, drive both and see where your own opinion lands.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
If the car is joining the garage alongside a sportier variant, I see no reason to go with a 135i over a 228i. The used market currently has an over inflated perception of the 135i MT value leading it to be nearly equal to a newer, better equipped and often still under warranty used 228i MT.

If the purpose to offset miles and do the daily tasks, why choose an aging platform that could entice more mods and a cash drain? Heh - only 1 (or 2...) project car(s) at a time! That being said, drive both and see where your own opinion lands.
Me personally... displacement, hydraulic steering, and looks (subjective i know). The 2-series arguably has a better front end but the rear always looked unfinished to me, similar to the E63. With regards to warranty, can't argue that but my 2013 1-series was pretty reliable
      11-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #19
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Me personally... displacement, hydraulic steering, and looks (subjective i know). The 2-series arguably has a better front end but the rear always looked unfinished to me, similar to the E63. With regards to warranty, can't argue that but my 2013 1-series was pretty reliable
Cannot argue against your steering comment - the electric steering on the 228i leaves something to be desired especially compared to hydraulic equipped cars. Just urging OP to consider their needs and get the best car for it... many many options out there.
Appreciate 2
3002 tii2281.50
SaltyNC369.50
      11-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the continued thoughts on the daily driver.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #21
Andyh1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M black saphire / imola

Quote:
This is on my short list when my current DD lease expires.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #22
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

GTI Fans - Has anyone owned/driven a Golf R? On the used market it doesn't seem that much more expensive than a nicely equipped GTI. I'm curious how it stacks up.
Appreciate 0